PDA

View Full Version : My latest turning... seam ripper

Dawn Sunkle
08-14-2005, 10:59 PM
After reading several posts on seam rippers on different forums and also buying a project book by Allen Leland at last months turners meeting, I decided it was finaly time to give it a try. I had bought the supplies a while back and never got around to it.. well tonight I did it.

I am not sure of the wood, it was in a grab bag of wood I picked up at WoodWorks last month.

It's not 100% of what I want.. but with work it'll get there :)

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
Dawn

Bill Stevener
08-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Dawn,

That looks just great to me, great old style turning for that project. I have one, however did not make it. I use it for removing patches I collect, on items I find, and then re-sew them on my patch jackets. I collect cave patches:eek: .

Very nice work,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kurt Aebi
08-15-2005, 8:04 AM
Dawn,

Looks real good, nice form.

I still haven't gotten the one I did for my M-I-L yet, so I still don't have a good picture.

Good Job!

John Hart
08-15-2005, 8:06 AM
I don't see anything to criticize negatively Dawn...Looks very nice!! Looks like oak to me from here. I wanna do one of those!!:) :)

Keith Burns
08-15-2005, 8:17 AM
Great looking piece. I agree with Bills comments. Looks almost like an antique.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-15-2005, 9:42 AM
That looks great, I am sure whoever receives it will never mis-place their seam-ripper again!

Dawn Sunkle
08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm really pleased with it... so far.
This one is mine. I did play around with it lastnight and I'm not 100% sold on the design. Its not as comfortable as I'd like for it to be.
Being a seamstress as well I get plenty of practice using it.
I have already had several offers to buy them.. so guess I'll be working on my design soon and getting a few out for sale.

Any suggestions on finish?
I just sprayed this one with a clear coat spray since it was my first and I was impatient LOL. But for the ones I'll sale I want a good long lasting finish that isn't tacky when held for a while and won't wear off after a few uses also.

Thanks again for all the great comments :)
Dawn

Blake McCully
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Those seam rippers I've seen are cool. Does the ripper head come in a kit, or do you just knock off the plastic handle of the one's you get in fabric stores?

Bill Grumbine
08-15-2005, 1:15 PM
Very nice Dawn! I have a couple of seam rippers that a visitor gave me a while ago, but haven't turned them yet. Of course, just about evey machine in my shop has been a seam ripper at one time or another, and they don't even stick with the seams! :eek:

Bill

Roger Fitzsimonds
08-15-2005, 1:28 PM
Good Job Dawn! I would suggest using CA glue like is used on pens for your seam ripper. I use my pen every day and knock it around a good bit and it is holding up fine. If you need directions on how to use the CA just ask.

ROger

Kurt Aebi
08-15-2005, 1:35 PM
I agree with Roger, the CA/BLO finish that I use for pens would work quite well for these as well.

Glad to hear that others are interested in buying these - should make a nice addition to my products list.

Ernie Nyvall
08-19-2005, 9:09 PM
Nice seam ripper Dawn. Looks like oak to me too.

Ernie

Jim Becker
08-19-2005, 10:26 PM
That looks great, Dawn. I'd also suggest oak...