PDA

View Full Version : SingCore. New torsion box material

Rick Lizek
06-14-2015, 6:20 AM
http://singcore.com/materials/structural-improvement
I know how folks struggle with torsion boxes in construction and application. Thought you might find this interesting.

Jim Matthews
06-14-2015, 7:29 AM
Been around a couple of years.

It's REALLY expensive.

John TenEyck
06-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks for posting this. It is new to me and might be a good option for a future project where weight is a primary concern.

Has anyone used this stuff? If so, what did you like/dislike about it? Did you buy direct, or is there a distribution network?

John

Michael Weber
06-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Interesting, looks like it has lots of potential. They offer a 24x48x1.5 inch sample for 60.00 shipped

Jim Matthews
06-14-2015, 6:26 PM
I've seen this stuff used in boat applications,
and large conference tables as a substrate for
pricey veneer. It still seems like a small scale production.

I got the impression that the panels are made to order,
so you're always getting fresh item.

It bears mentioning that this isn't an ideal choice for metal fasteners.

Reinis Kanders
06-14-2015, 8:28 PM
Is it trully flat and stays flat? Seems like it could make for a nice reference surface for glue-ups that can be just put in a corner when not needed. I gave up on a plywood long ago because it would never stay flat.
I might get that sample package of two panels for $96 and see if it is useful.

Peter Quinn
06-14-2015, 9:04 PM
We looked into Sing core at work this year for a project, wound up fabricating a solution in house due to lead time constraints. Seems like a solid option for a variety of potential applications. I originally ran into this when researching carriage house doors, looking for something with a decent R value and less weight than a monolithic wood creation. It wasn't cheap, but it seems like a good value if the application demands a product with its qualities.