PDA

View Full Version : Co-planer issue

Russell LaRoche
06-13-2015, 9:16 PM
I just picked up (with the help of a friend, :eek:) a Grizzly GO500 8" Jointer built in 2003. I am experiencing a problem when I have the beds at the same level at the center. The beds are not even close to co-palener. But if I drop drop the in-feed bed from a 1/16" depth of cut and further it goes and stays co-planer. This has left me at a loss to say the least. My only thought is that there is something on the dovetail that is causing the far end of the infeed table to not rise enough to become co-planer when I lock it down. I haven't taken the bed off yet.

Edward Oleen
06-14-2015, 1:10 PM
I'd get on the blower to Grizzly and dump the problem in their lap. Where did you get the machine from? Are you sure it wasn't damaged in shipping? Are you sure the seller didn't have the problem and couldn't fix it?

Those are the sort of questions I'd be asking myself

Phil Thien
06-14-2015, 1:19 PM
Is there a stop on these? If you're hitting a stop, it is possible that is what is causing some non-linear travel. You said if you lower it to 1/16", it is fine. How about 1/132? Still fine?

Ultimately, whether the tables are coplanar at 0" is irrelevant, as you don't use a jointer with the tables flushed.

eugene thomas
06-14-2015, 2:04 PM
2003. Hum kind of not think a warranty issue....

John TenEyck
06-14-2015, 2:28 PM
What Phil said. If it's good at 1/32" and more I'd say it's good. What it is at 0 is irrelevant. I would wonder why, too, but I'd get over it pretty fast.

John

ian maybury
06-14-2015, 2:45 PM
Guess my instinct would be to get stuck in to figure out what's going on - on the basis that maybe issues are not always as limited in effect as they first seem.

It seems like it's either a problem that was in the machine from day 1 (in which case holding Grizzly responsible after 12 years would seem less than reasonable - but maybe they would advise if you can't sort it yourself) - or a straightforward adjustment issue. With a bump during travel or 'tuning' by the previous owner on the list of possibilities.

I'm not familiar with the type of machine (mine is a combo jointer/thicknesser, the construction is completely different), but it seems like the sort of thing where it's best just to work through it steadily and figure out what's going on.

Guessing for the above reason, and presuming there's no basic machining error - I'd look for the possibility of some sort of lump, deposit or other irregularity on the table tracks near fully raised. Or for loose gibs or something like a stop causing/allowing the table to skew sideways/or ride up at one side, for some sort of loss of support of the table as it nears full height, or maybe something odd in the adjustment mechanism as it reaches the end of it's travel.

Or if it all seems fine some sort of machining funny in either the table or the mating surfaces of the chassis. Could it be exceeding the travel which the mating surfaces have been machined to permit if the infeed is raised to zero? (it's not a typical operating setting)

This video might suggest something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caxVqv3FyU

Russell LaRoche
06-14-2015, 9:34 PM
I'd get on the blower to Grizzly and dump the problem in their lap. Where did you get the machine from? Are you sure it wasn't damaged in shipping? Are you sure the seller didn't have the problem and couldn't fix it?

Those are the sort of questions I'd be asking myself
Got it used from a local guy. When I got it home I had to take care of a couple of things. Motor had one bolt fastened :eek:, the bearing block needed shimming. It was just loose enough that it was making a rattle. And the power cord had a 110v head on it, even though it is wired for and running on 220.

Is there a stop on these? If you're hitting a stop, it is possible that is what is causing some non-linear travel. You said if you lower it to 1/16", it is fine. How about 1/132? Still fine?

Ultimately, whether the tables are coplanar at 0" is irrelevant, as you don't use a jointer with the tables flushed.
I will take a closer look tomorrow at what point it becomes co-planer. You're right about not using the jointer when the beds are flush. I tend to be OCD when it comes to setting up machines. I figure the if I know the machine is good to go all around, then I can then look at my techniques without questioning where the problem exists.

What Phil said. If it's good at 1/32" and more I'd say it's good. What it is at 0 is irrelevant. I would wonder why, too, but I'd get over it pretty fast.

John
I'm just about over it. Thought I would throw it out there because I just have to know. :)

Or if it all seems fine some sort of machining funny in either the table or the mating surfaces of the chassis. Could it be exceeding the travel which the mating surfaces have been machined to permit if the infeed is raised to zero? (it's not a typical operating setting)

This could be a possibility. I will keep it in mind. Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Folks,

Discussion of any previous contacts or experiences with Grizzly support about any other product isn't germane to the topic of this USED jointer the OP bought from a previous owner. Since it's a 2003 model, it's out of warrantee and the OP would rather not contact Grizzly support.

Keep it on topic with suggestions to help the OP.