PDA

View Full Version : Rearview Mirror Adhesive

Dennis Peacock
06-13-2015, 10:36 AM
I've got to put a new mirror in my old truck. I bought rearview mirror adhesive kit and even with allowing the adhesive to dry for 18 hours, the mirror did not stick to the glass. I don't know if I got a kit with old adhesive in it or what....but I spent $11 for a .5 gram adhesive tube and a cleaning pad.

I refuse to spend that again and have it happen again. Is there an alternate adhesive that I can use that will stick the metal button to the glass?

David Ragan
06-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I use that 3M tape that is used to put fenders on cars. Mine doesn't have package with it anymore. Has red liner.

Same stuff used to keep the bldg. panels on the Burj Al Arab hotel in UAE. Good stuff. I would guess there would have to be some plasticity given it will be exposed to so many (small, but not insignificant) stresses.

Raymond Fries
06-14-2015, 2:34 PM
How about epoxy? Some brands say it is ok for glass.

Erik Loza
06-14-2015, 3:31 PM
I've use a kit from Permatex (?) before and it worked fine. I do believe it's an epoxy that they use as an adhesive. Here are my thoughts: Even though they might provide some type of cleaning pad with the kit, I would go one step further and use denatured alcohol or something strong, and a virgin towel to clean the area. I have seen wipes more "smear around" oil than actually remove it and as you know, there will have to be ZERO oil or any type of residue in order for the epoxy to adhere properly. In other words, I suspect the devil was in the surface prep. Personally, I would give it a shot again.

Best of luck,

Erik

ken masoumi
06-14-2015, 4:21 PM
I agree with Erik, try to use the same glue but this time make sure the surfaces to be glued are absolutely clean,I would use 2 -3 fresh rags/wipes to remove the residue off the already prepped surfaces, then use the kit , I know that mirror glue works and works very well .I would use some sort of makeshift support for the mirror so it doesn't separate from the windshield until the glue is fully cured.

Jeff Monson
06-15-2015, 2:46 PM
I've glued quite a few with the $12 kit, as Erik stated it must have been contaminated on one of the surfaces. The alcohol swab that comes with it should clean both sides. Give it another shot and you should be good. BTW I have not had any luck with other forms of adhesives. I'm also assuming you took the mounting button off the mirror and just glued that before installing the mirror to it.

Phil Thien
06-15-2015, 3:55 PM
Try this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Mirror-Adhesive-11109/dp/B0002JN56A

The Permatex/3M stuff gets terrible reviews.

George Bokros
06-15-2015, 4:04 PM
Clean is key. The only brand I have been successful using is the Permatex brand. Others have failed me. Let dry a good 24 hrs.

Chris Padilla
06-19-2015, 2:54 PM
Permatex brand is what I used to glue the mirror back on in my BMW. I remember needing to use a razor blade to scrape it clean of the old glue and then cleaning it with the supplied alcohol or acetone or whatever.

Worked like a charm.

Leigh Betsch
06-19-2015, 8:28 PM
My daughter just moved to Tucson. About 2 weeks Before she left I glued her mirror on with the 3M kit. I bought it at the company store, i work for 3M. I thought it worked great. But it didn't stand up to the desert heat. She is now on her own, trying super glue.