PDA

View Full Version : Table saw cord route

Rod Mortensen
06-13-2015, 9:19 AM
ok so I am in the new shop. and the question is what to do with the cord for the cabinet saw. so here is the scoop I am going to have to do a drop so what is the best way to do this the only think I think about is a cord in the way when I am cutting wood.

Joe Kieve
06-13-2015, 9:26 AM
Could you run it along the floor and then use a cable cover like one of these? http://www.electriduct.com/Plastic-Cord-Covers.html

Rod Mortensen
06-13-2015, 9:34 AM
Yeah I am thinking thats the best idea I dont want the cord in the way

Charles Lent
06-13-2015, 10:39 AM
The ideal location is in a covered trench, but I don't have that option either. If you drop from the ceiling, the left rear corner of the saw is probably best if you cut with the large piece to the right of the blade or the right rear corner if you cut with the large piece to the left of the blade, but leave a bit of slack so that you can push it out of the way around the end of a board if you ever have to. My shop is very small, so my right tilt 52" Unisaw has the right end of it's table almost up against the wall and my power cable just comes from an outlet on the wall above the table and then down and under the table to the saw. I put the outlet there so it's easy to unplug the saw when changing blades, etc. If you have a vacuum port on the saw the vacuum line should be located roughly in the same location as where you run the power cable. I have had situations in previous shops where the saw power cable just ran across the floor. It never had any kind of cover over it and I just got used to stepping over it. This worked for me for years, but it wasn't the right way to do it.

Charley

John C Bush
06-13-2015, 1:19 PM
My DC drops down from the ceiling and I just wired an outlet on a beam joist for an extension cord and strapped it to the DC flex hose to the back of the saw. The drop is on the right of the outfeed table and is not in the way. Jointer is next to the saw and is wired the same. Works great. I made extension cords with 10/3 soft rubber insulated wire--can't recall the spec #-- and conventional 220/30amp plugs and outlets. Cheaper than twistlocks.

Jeff Ramsey
06-13-2015, 1:31 PM
ok so I am in the new shop. and the question is what to do with the cord for the cabinet saw. so here is the scoop I am going to have to do a drop so what is the best way to do this the only think I think about is a cord in the way when I am cutting wood.

Mine drops from the far right back corner (furthest away from the blade that the fence can get). It's never gotten in my way with the saw (only walking around it), but I'd prefer an unobtrusive floor run but that's not practical.

Rick Moyer
06-13-2015, 7:05 PM
I made my own cord cover from a length of 2X6, beveled the sides, cut a groove in the bottom , and glued a pc of laminate on the bottom to protect the underside. Not the prettiest, but you can have whatever length you need.

Jim Andrew
06-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Used to have a neighbor who was an electrician. Handy neighbor. He advised me to put a box in the ceiling above the right rear corner of the tablesaw, and take a cord the right length and tie a knot in the cord so the cord could hang from the box above. Spliced the cord to the wire in the box, and it has worked great. Did that on several machines. The dc piping is overhead and also comes down from the right side of the saw, never in the way.