PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about old lathe and face plates

Nick Olimpi
06-13-2015, 7:21 AM
I picked up and older possibly Dunlap lathe that came with a bunch of tools with it just to see if turning was something I wanted to get into and have enjoyed it so far, haven't really made much yet except a couple socket chisel handles. The headstock is a non threaded shaft that has a spur drive attached with a grub screw , I was wondering if a faceplate was an option for it it's not a very big lathe haven't measured swing yet but it won't be handling anything very big, are there any FP options for this or is it a bad idea?

Simon Dupay
06-13-2015, 7:59 PM
look over on owwm.org there's a ton of info on old machines over there

Allan Speers
06-13-2015, 8:18 PM
I picked up and older possibly Dunlap lathe that came with a bunch of tools with it just to see if turning was something I wanted to get into and have enjoyed it so far, haven't really made much yet except a couple socket chisel handles. The headstock is a non threaded shaft that has a spur drive attached with a grub screw , I was wondering if a faceplate was an option for it it's not a very big lathe haven't measured swing yet but it won't be handling anything very big, are there any FP options for this or is it a bad idea?

Measure the spindle diameter.

There are a number of Morse Taper adapters available for the ShopSmith, which also has a non-threaded headstock spindle with attachments via grubscrew. Even OneWay sells one. If your spindle is 5/8" (or you can have it turned down) then those would surely fit, plus they are probably available for other diameters as well. You can find some on Ebay as well.

I'd start with Oneway and then search further if that doesn't work out.

Nick Olimpi
06-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the input I have been searching for sometime but was looking for the wrong thing, found 5/8 non threaded to 1 x 8tpi for good prices,and measured my sprindle so I will be ordering an adapter and a faceplate and get turning some small bowls soon. I know from the few things I have turned so far I have found another addiction to add to my blacksmithing and woodworking hobbies lol.