PDA

View Full Version : Extraction motor bearings

Keith Colson
06-13-2015, 4:49 AM
My bearings in my extraction motor are starting to grind (3 years old) so they will need to be changed soon before I upset the neighbors. The bearings on the motor are 6204ZZ and 6003ZZ. I was talking with a friend and he said the bearing most likely got contaminated from the exhaust fume composition.

Does anyone recommend a bearing with a better seal? Or a grease trap before the bearing?

Cheers
Keith

Mike Null
06-13-2015, 8:20 AM
Keith

My exhaust fan is about 18 years old and has been maintenance free all that time. Maybe you should be looking for a new blower.

Keith Colson
06-13-2015, 8:52 AM
HI Mike, you have had great luck with your blower.

This blowers original purchase price was about $2500, (I got is for a song) so I will change the bearings. Here is the motor that is on it
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/motors/ac-motors-2-phase/metric-three-phase-motors/iec-tru-metric-ie3-motor-00112et3wal100l-15hp-1200-1000rpm-3ph-460v-100l-tefc

I think I just need some higher quality bearings. I searched up and found that Nachi have a triple seal bearing that can keep the contaminants out versus the standard bearings. I will buy some on Monday.

Cheers
Keith

Bill George
06-13-2015, 9:21 AM
HI Mike, you have had great luck with your blower.

This blowers original purchase price was about $2500, (I got is for a song) so I will change the bearings. Here is the motor that is on it
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/motors/ac-motors-2-phase/metric-three-phase-motors/iec-tru-metric-ie3-motor-00112et3wal100l-15hp-1200-1000rpm-3ph-460v-100l-tefc

I think I just need some higher quality bearings. I searched up and found that Nachi have a triple seal bearing that can keep the contaminants out versus the standard bearings. I will buy some on Monday.

Cheers
Keith

Strange as it may seem Keith I have gone to Amazon with part numbers and found replacements. Sometimes the local bearing place could not even cross over. When you do find and replace put a thin layer of grease over both sides of the bearing.

Mike Null
06-13-2015, 10:53 AM
Keith

I see what you mean and I would also find new bearings for that. I thought you had one of the light duty blowers that most of us have.

Steve Morris
06-13-2015, 7:42 PM
You might find this info useful on bearing shields, probably 2RS is a better bet than ZZ for keeping contaminants out or 2RU if you can get them.

http://www.astbearings.com/bearing-closures.html

6000 series bearings should be available at any bearing stockist, my preferred makes are SKF, FAG or Timken.

Keith Colson
06-21-2015, 6:56 PM
The motor has new bearings fitted and is dead quiet again. It took about 4 hours to complete including removal etc. If you do this job you may need a bearing/gear puller and some circlip pliers.

The bearings were wet and covered in rust so I think the rain is getting in. The next job to to is make a rain cover. I sealed it up much better this time so I expect I will get at least 2 years as is.

I found some beutiful bearings, they are Nachi brand 2NSE variety which rate very well.

Cheers
Keith