PDA

View Full Version : Knock down spray booth

Dominic Greco
08-14-2005, 9:03 PM
Hello Everyone,
I found that when it came time to set up my spray equipment most of the time was spent laying down newspaper, or covering up tools in the "blast zone". Once you get the paper set, a breeze, or an errant blast of air could easily mess up your layout.

So this weekend, I decided to make something to make my life a little easier. It's just a simple knock down spray booth, and it cost me $35 to make. All you need is one sheet of 1/4" hardboard, (2) 24" long piano hinges, and some assorted scraps (I used 3/4" plywood).

My garage/shop isn't big enough to hold a dedicated "finishing room" (yet). :D So this booth had to be easily set up and broken down. It also had to be stored flat against a wall when not in use.

The dimensions are based on the type of projects I spray. Mostly smaller stuff like bowls, vases, peppermills, bottle stoppers, and pens. The booth measures 36" wide x 24" tall x 18" deep. The sides splay out at 12 degrees.

The piano hinges join the (2) 24" tall x 18" deep sides and the 36" wide x 24" tall back. The sides fold up right against the back for storage.

If you look at the photo, you can see the blue painter's tape inside. This is where I screwed up. :mad: I could only buy 30" long piano hinges at Home Depot. My plan was to cut them to fit the sides. However, I cut them 18" instead of 24". So the tape is there to help block the holes! :D

The top and bottom have pieces of plywood edging along the sides and back. Each piece of edging has a 1/4" deep x 1/4" wide rabbit that is sized to receive the sides and back.

Once you're down spraying, this whole thing knocks down to an easily stored assembly. All told, I think this took about 3 hours to finish. And that was taking my dear sweet time cause' it was so hot out to hurry! ;)

Thanks for viewing!

Jeff Sudmeier
08-14-2005, 9:28 PM
That looks like a great idea for the tips sections of the magazines!! I would submit it before someone else does ;)

Great job! I have saved this thread for when I invest in spraying equipment.

Dominic Greco
08-14-2005, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

BTW, I submitted this one to WOOD Magazine's Top Shop Tip Forum before I posted here! :D

See ya around,

Bill Stevener
08-14-2005, 9:54 PM
Hi Dominic,

Great idea, that should work out just fine for you, and anyone else with tight quarters in the shop.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:) :) :) :) :)

Dick Parr
08-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Great idea Dom. ;) That should do the job.

Mike Ramsey
08-15-2005, 9:51 AM
That looks like a great idea for the tips sections of the magazines!! I would submit it before someone else does ;)

Great job! I have saved this thread for when I invest in spraying equipment.

Jeff, How do you save a thread other than subscribing to it? Lot of threads
I would like to save also.

Doug Shepard
08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Dominic
I've also got a knockdown booth. Mine's quite a bit bigger but much cruder - just clear plastic sheeting stapled and taped to 1x3 framing. But what really made my setup more convenient was buying a large lazy-susan bearing and mounting it to plywood circles. That way you can just rotate the work to get at all sides without actually having to touch it while the finish is wet. I picked up my bearing at Rockler for around $10-12 I think.

Dominic Greco
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Dominic
I've also got a knockdown booth. Mine's quite a bit bigger but much cruder - just clear plastic sheeting stapled and taped to 1x3 framing. But what really made my setup more convenient was buying a large lazy-susan bearing and mounting it to plywood circles. That way you can just rotate the work to get at all sides without actually having to touch it while the finish is wet. I picked up my bearing at Rockler for around $10-12 I think.

Doug,
I already have one lazy susan set up, but was looking to make two more on Friday. But my (2) local ww'ing stores didn't have any lazy susans in stock. They're supposed to have some in this Friday.

Randy Meijer
08-15-2005, 3:29 PM
Clever idea and probably works just fine as is; but why didn't you cut two 6" sections of the left over piano hinge fill in the missing length?

Dominic Greco
08-15-2005, 4:09 PM
Clever idea and probably works just fine as is; but why didn't you cut two 6" sections of the left over piano hinge fill in the missing length?

Because by that time I was pretty much at my limit for heat exposure! :D

Besides, think of the job I have in mind for it. I'm replacing the task of using newspaper as a drop cloth for Pete's sake. :) Do I want to spend a heck of a lot of time pretty-ing this thing up? Not now. Maybe later in the year when it cools off.

John Hart
08-15-2005, 8:43 PM
Pretty good idea Dominic! If you sprayed the inside white, it could double as a photo booth!!:)