PDA

View Full Version : Used Jet 1014VS or New Nova II with Chuck

Allan Wright
06-12-2015, 9:38 AM
First, apologies for yet another, 'help me buy my first lathe' thread. I have spent about 15-20 hours scouring this forum's past new lathe threads, reading other forums and watching a ton of YouTube videos on lathe reviews. As a long-time member of the Creek's laser engraving forum, I feel this is home, so with my new interest, comes a new sub forum of the Creek. Thank you in advance for your patience.

I've had about 18 years away from turning. My last access to a lathe was as part of a furniture design course at the university where I work. The lathe was a vintage powermatic with a reeves drive system. I used the shop's tools and safety equipment. I've taken the course multiple times and while having access to the shop have enjoyed turning bowls and plates the most of any of the things I've done, even to the detriment of the other course assignments. It's time for me to focus on what I enjoy at home with my own lathe. I know I will be mostly focusing on bowls and other 'face plate' type items so variable speed with a slow minimum is pretty much a must have. I'd prefer a 12" swing but I'm sure I can fully enjoy turning with a 10" swing. Considering my overall budget I'm in the $500-$600(max) range for the lathe itself as I'll need to also buy tools, sharpening and safety equipment. I also know that since I'll be turning bowls I'll want a chuck, pretty much right away.

In the "new lathe" category I had settled on the Nova Comet II Midi since Tools-Plus has the lathe/chuck combo on special for $479. The included chuck makes this a very good deal in my opinion. The next step up from this would be the Jet 1221vs which is unfortunately over my budget, particularly after adding another $100+ for a chuck. The other new consideration would be the Delta 46-460 which looks really nice, but conversations here on the Creek about parts availability have soured me on this lathe. So unless my research about new lathes has serious flaws, my new preference would be the Nova combo. I'm willing to hear opinions otherwise.

Before I actually ordered the Comet II I've been scouring eBay and the local Craigslist as I'm also quite open to having my money go further by buying used. I have found a Used Jet 1014VS that is local and priced at $600. This includes the stand, which is something that I desire as if I buy the Nova I'll have to build or buy an appropriate work bench for it. The Jet also includes some wood blanks and a set of the low-end Delta turning tools. Yes they're not good tools, but I'll be learning to sharpen and if I'm going to learn by grinding away steel, starting on some less expensive tools may actually not be a bad thing.

So if it were YOUR money, would you buy a Nova Comet II with chuck new, or a Used Jet 1014VS with stand?

Michael Mason
06-12-2015, 10:07 AM
I started on a Rikon mini, 1/2 HP. I moved to the 46-460 , 1 HP. It was so much easier using the 1 HP machine compared to the 1/2. The 1/2 bogs down really easy so the enjoyment factor suffers greatly. I have moved on to a much larger machine but I still have the 46-460. I have been lucky in that I have not had any of the common problems with it, and you wouldn't believe how many bowls that lathe has turned, but I would recommend the Jet 1221vs over the 46-460 because of the parts issues.

If I had to pick between the Nova and the 1014, I would get the Nova because of swing and HP, but if you are going to use it much, I would try and get the 1221. Good Luck.

Dok Yager
06-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Allan, I started out on a Nova II and as a novice it worked quite well for a 3/4hp lathe. I liked it a lot. My Neighbor had a Delta 46-460 and I think we were fairly evenly matched. Both variable speed and about the same size. The Delta being slightly larger.

Allan Wright
06-12-2015, 11:03 AM
That's two votes for the Nova over the 1014, and support for my initial thoughts that the Jet 1221vs would be a step up from the Nova. Thanks for your feedback. I'm still interested in other feedback people have. At this point I'll stop thinking too hard about the Used 1014.

Dok Yager
06-12-2015, 9:01 PM
Now if you could find a used Nove 1624-44 for about the same or just slightly more money. Well :D

Thomas Canfield
06-12-2015, 9:57 PM
I currently have the Nova Comet II as a travel lathe, but do use it a lot on smaller pieces and finishing and for new turners to use. With some modification (see tread in SMC) to mount, it can be a decent lathe with limitations, but still a little lathe that does not like unbalanced work very well compared to my Powermatic 3502B but that is another story. I had the Jet 1014 and Jet 1014VS, and found the VS to be way underpowered for bowl work, and would use a straight 1014 over the VS when going to classes if given the choice.

Allan Wright
06-15-2015, 9:32 AM
Now if you could find a used Nove 1624-44 for about the same or just slightly more money. Well :D

Is this a fantasy situation or something that is actually reasonable? I've only been scouring the local Craigslist for about a month and so far I've only seen lower end junk lathes with the exception of the one 1014VS.

Belton Garvin
06-15-2015, 9:55 AM
Where are you located? Local clubs often have lathes that come up at decent prices, might be worth checking out. I will probably have my lathe (Jet 1220 non-vs) up for sale shortly once I get my new Grizzly lathe up and settled in.

Allan Wright
06-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Where are you located? Local clubs often have lathes that come up at decent prices, might be worth checking out. I will probably have my lathe (Jet 1220 non-vs) up for sale shortly once I get my new Grizzly lathe up and settled in.

I'm in the Seacoast(ish) area of New Hampshire. The only local club is based in the Woodcraft store in Newington, NH. I've yet to attend a meeting. Unfortunately I'll miss this month's meeting as I'll be in Pennsylvania on vacation when it happens. I'll probably stop by the July meeting before making a final decision.

Stan Smith
06-15-2015, 2:23 PM
For me a midi lathe was my only choice due to space limitations. I went with the Jet 1221vs. I could not justify a 3520B based upon the time and expense. If I was independently wealthy........ I have had both a jet 1014 and jet 1014vs. These worked well for small projects. I still mostly do those small projects, but once in awhile, I do something bigger and want a machine with more power and a little more bed length than the mini's have. Again the midi wins, for me, over the mini.

Although I got a good deal and free shipping via Amazon, if I had it to do again, I would buy from a retail outlet such as a Woodcraft store. I would ask the store to set up the lathe and see that all was working properly. I would ask them to help me get it on my truck, too. I would not care if it was repacked in the box. The hassle of returning the item or even having to fix something wrong, when it first arrives, isn't worth the reduced cost of an online purchase to me. Just my 4 cents worth. YMMV

Geoff Whaling
06-15-2015, 3:21 PM
Alan, I've had a Nova Mercury, the predecessor / little brother of the Comet, for many years. Quite a capable 1/2 hp small lathe with outboard capacity but you had to respect both its physical and motor power limits and its motor "duty cycle." It is quite easy to overwork small motors and their variable speed controllers if you wish to turn at the upper end of their capacity or for extended periods. They need a rest. (ps we have 240v motors not 110v)

I fully understand you want to do "bowls and other 'face plate' type items so variable speed with a slow minimum is pretty much a must have" but I would also suggest looking at the second hand market for a quality 5 or 6 speed belt change lathe. They are no longer that popular so can be purchased for very reasonable prices and most are easily upgraded latter when more funds become available. Turners survived for centuries without variable speed.

One small lathe to look out for is the Vicmarc VL100 if one comes up, a very capable small capacity lathe.

Marvin Hasenak
06-15-2015, 4:06 PM
I searched your state for lathes on this site. http://zoomthelist.com/

I am a sucker for old cast iron, there is one on there for $175 http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/5071775483.html If I lived within 400 miles it would already be mine.

It is old, it is NOT variable speed, but can be for a few hundred dollars more, but I use the belt switching time to contemplate my next attack plan. The size is larger, but only a little longer with a 30" bed. It is not pretty, but a good cleaning and a few rattles cans of paint can fix that.

Pros, the cast iron weighs more than any of the midi's, also the legs also look to be cast iron so that is more added weight.

Phil Harris
06-15-2015, 6:01 PM
Allen, I went through much the same quest a couple of years ago, I would have loved one of the new Jet midis, but couldn't justify the cost difference. So I purchased the comet II with the small nova chuck and I have no regrets. There are some threads about the Comet II on sawmill creek forums and they are worth reading. When you get yours, check all of the nuts and bolts and set screws for tightness, also loosen the set screw on the faceplate that is on the end of the headstock. No one told me about that, fortunately I didn't try to force mine off, so I did very little damage. You will find that a nice fat wooden ring attached to the hand wheel is a worthwhile project. Once in a while I find I want to do a chunk of wood that is too big for a midi so I start the project on one of the Nor-Cal Woodturners club mentors lathes and work it down to fit my lathe. One of the best things you can do is get involved with a woodturning club, most will have libraries, and mentors, and training programs. I belong to two clubs, one is an hour away and one is two hours away and the value of these clubs is priceless!!!

Learn to turn safely!

Phil Harris

Allan Wright
06-16-2015, 8:38 AM
Thanks Phil, great post.

Marvin, something about me WANTS to love old cast iron, but I learned on a variable speed lathe so I'm pretty stuck on that feature. What are you proposing, putting a variable speed motor on it? Tell more please.

Marvin Hasenak
06-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Thanks Phil, great post.

Marvin, something about me WANTS to love old cast iron, but I learned on a variable speed lathe so I'm pretty stuck on that feature. What are you proposing, putting a variable speed motor on it? Tell more please.

There has been numerous threads on adding VFD drives to lathes. Not a cheap journey, but an interesting one. A 100 year old piece of cast iron with modern speed controls is not for everyone, but for an old iron lover it can be a good fit.

Allan Wright
06-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Well it seems I waffled too long and the sale priced Nova IIs at tools plus sold out. Looks like I have some additional time to look now that there's no rush.

Allan Wright
06-17-2015, 12:39 AM
I just stumbled upon this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-18-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/T25920

Is it worth considering as an alternative to the Nova?

Allan Wright
07-01-2015, 10:50 PM
A new option has popped up and I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. It's a used, but good condition Delta 46-745.

The seller wants $600 for it which would be a lot for a discontinued lathe you cannot get parts for, but it also comes with a chuck, chisels, and a bunch of other items. The chuck and chisels alone are worth $150 or so. The lathe is a 16" swing x 42" and the headstock can slide to the end of the lathe for outboard turning. It's EVS with 3 pulley sets for 3 speed ranges 0-3200 RPM and 1.5 HP.

I've done some research and the one part that scares me about failing is the speed control/motor but I've found that even if the speed controller does fail I can replace it with a Baldor one for about $150.00. I'll be running the lathe up and checking for noise, bearing play, center alignment, etc. This is an estate sale and from talking with the seller they just want to get it out of their garage.

So I would be buying used, but starting off with a 'starter' lathe that has a lot more capacity and features than the $500 midi lathes I was looking at. I'm also getting a starter set of tools. I'll add a face shield and start learning.

Is this a big mistake or a possible good way to start?

Here's a link to the photos of what I'm looking to buy: http://www.gnhw.org/blog/delta-wood-lathe-large-set-chisels

Thanks in advance for your advice....again.

Marvin Hasenak
07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
I would forget that one, it is Reeves drives and at one time the parts were not available.

Allan Wright
07-01-2015, 11:17 PM
If it's a Reeves drive machine I agree I don't want it.

Wait I see the confusion, my above post had the wrong model number, It's a 46-745 which I think isn't Reeves drive based on the photos and this review: http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/delta-16-in-lathe-46-745.aspx
(http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/delta-16-in-lathe-46-745.aspx)
I will definitely look inside the headstock at the pulleys and make sure it's a fixed 3-speed drive train with electronic speed control only. Thanks for the heads up.

I would forget that one, it is Reeves drives and at one time the parts were not available.

Michael Mills
07-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Tools Plus is showing it again but now at $539 vs the old $479; $60 more (about $400 for the lathe if you were going to have to buy a chuck anyway).
Still a good deal to me with the free G3 and shipping.
They do as of this typing show it in stock.
http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html

Marvin Hasenak
07-02-2015, 12:50 PM
I was wrong I read it as being the 46-715 model, but do check to see if parts are available for it.

Allan Wright
07-02-2015, 1:04 PM
I was wrong I read it as being the 46-715 model, but do check to see if parts are available for it.

Not your fault, I typed 46-715 by mistake, I corrected the mistake in my original post. Thanks for your help!

Dok Yager
07-02-2015, 2:23 PM
Allan: I believe that any parts for this lathe are No Longer Available, according to this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.crafts.woodturning/SE4kZlXPk38/XNiqJBNIg1UJ

Delta No Longer has Any factory serviceable parts available!

Allan Wright
07-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Just posting a final follow up on this thread, which ended up being more of a 'help me buy my first lathe' thread than the original comparison. So, first thanks for everyone's help and advice.

I went ahead and bought the used Delta lathe. It was an estate sale and the lathe had minimal use as the owner took ill soon after buying it. It had been in storage for several years, but was still clean, no rust. Upon inspecting it the lathe ended up being the Delta 46-746 220-volt 2HP version, not the 110 1.5HP version. All the better, being the son of an electrician I easily dropped a dedicated 220v outlet into my shop for it. Although the manual describes 3 pulley position, the lathe only has one pulley on the motor and head drive, but the Baldur drive runs it from 0-3200 RPM just fine. Possibly this is a 220v version only feature. Tail stock to head stock alignment is perfect and the lathe runs very quietly.

For $600.00 I got:

the Lathe with all it's factory-included items, 2 tool rests, 2 face plates drive and live centers, knock out bar, wrenches, etc.
Caster system
Oneway Stronghold Chuck (with #1 jaws, strangely)
Beall Collet Chuck Set w/6 collets, tools, etc, still in shrink wrap
Nine (9) seemingly brand new Sorby HSS chisels, Two other HSS Chisels - a decent starting mix
MT2 Keyless Drill Chuck
Boxed set of 5 dowel/plug/tenon cutters
Face shield
Spindle mounded indexing system
6" & 12" smooth round bar tool rests
Set of 4 calipers
3 plastic jigs (center finder, etc.)
Several MT2 spur drives and live centers (at least 3 of each in addition to the lathe's original ones)

For $100 I also bought a variable speed grinder with 2 different grits of aluminum oxide wheels and a homemade wolverine-ish system.

Other than getting the Stronghold #2 smooth dovetail jaws so I can make bowls/plates, this thing came with everything. I think I'll send the seller a couple nice bowls as soon as I get some done as a thank you.

Mark Greenbaum
07-04-2015, 8:53 AM
I think you made a heck of a good purchase there. You'll be OK, as ong as you never need parts. I work with a couple of former Delta engineers and designers, and when they were designing their lathes they tried to compete with PM and Jet, so you should be good.

David Glynn
11-15-2015, 8:43 PM
I have found a Used Jet 1014VS that is local and priced at $600. This includes the stand, which is something that I desire as if I buy the Nova I'll have to build or buy an appropriate work bench for it. The Jet also includes some wood blanks and a set of the low-end Delta turning tools.

Allan, do you recall if this lathe was in Madison NH? I'm used lathe hunting, and came across a similarly described ad on craigslist for $575. It would be good to know if it is the same one. Thanks

Allan Wright
11-16-2015, 9:35 AM
I'm sorry I do not remember.

David Glynn
11-16-2015, 10:01 AM
No worries, thx.