PDA

View Full Version : Question on face frame doors

Al Bacon
06-12-2015, 8:30 AM
Is it best (easiest) to build, fit and mount the doors to the frame before the frame is mounted to the cabinet or wait until after it is mounted? It seems to me that if the frame is lying flat on the assembly table it would make things a little simpler.
So, I guess I am wondering how most of you would approach this part of the build.

George Bokros
06-12-2015, 8:58 AM
I have always installed the doors after installing the face frame, but installing them temporarily before mounting the face frame to the cabinet would be easier to get the overlay correct. Then remove them install the face frame and remount the doors. I will give pre-mounting a try the next time I do doors. Makes logical sense.

brett gallmeyer
06-12-2015, 8:59 AM
For me it depends on the application "kitchen/bathroom cabinets, hardwood cabinet, exc" style of door "overlay or inset" and style of hinge. Ultimatly which ever way you think is easier, is the way I would do it. I all ways mount my face frames first.

Steve Baumgartner
06-12-2015, 9:35 AM
I think the biggest aspect is overlay vs inset. The face frames inevitably bend or shift a bit when they are attached to the cabinet. For an overlay door, no problem. But for an inset, the result can be uneven gaps that you will end up having to fine-tune in place anyway.

scott vroom
06-12-2015, 9:40 AM
There is no situation that I can think of where it's advantageous to mount doors to frames before mounting frames to cabinets. You mentioned "build, fit and mount" as your door workflow. I'd change that to measure, build, mount, adjust....and all after mounting the frame to the carcass.

Al Bacon
06-12-2015, 1:46 PM
Thanks guys

The frame will go on first. I had not thought about the fact that the doors will want to shift a little after they are hung.

Rich Engelhardt
06-13-2015, 6:49 AM
After - - - just clamp a piece of scrap to the bottom of the face frame and rest the door(s) on that.
That makes it super easy to do any fine tuning or adjustments to the doors.

George Bokros
06-13-2015, 8:23 AM
After - - - just clamp a piece of scrap to the bottom of the face frame and rest the door(s) on that.
That makes it super easy to do any fine tuning or adjustments to the doors.

This is how I have been doing it.