PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 718 Advice

Tom Davis
06-12-2015, 7:59 AM
I've been looking for a drum sander to replace a Performax 16– 32. I found a Woodmaster 718 that has the Pro Pack with molding head, sander, rip saw capability, etc. I have a General 130 planer that is really a great machine for me.
My question is will the 718 be a viable replacement for the General planer? The planer certainly would get significantly more use than the sander, molding, rip saw capabilities. Is the changeover from planer to other capability fast/easy enough not to be a significant detrimental factor?

Or would a better approach be to continue to look for a dedicated sander and stay with the General 130?

Thanks,

Tom

John Hubbs
06-12-2015, 8:13 AM
Greetings Tom,
Not to hijack your thread, but what is it about the Performax you are not happy with? I have looked at Woodmaster in the past, just couldnt bring myself to spend that kind of money on one.
Regards, John.

Tom Davis
06-12-2015, 8:38 AM
John:

The 16-32 has been difficult to get "dialed in". I seem to have continuous issues getting the feed built to track correctly, paper changes seem to be more difficult than they should, and I've had other general adjusting issues. This is the second Performax that I've owned. I had a 22-44 that took up more shop space and was not being utilized enough to warrant the machine at the time. I didn't have the adjusting entries with the 22-44 that I'm experiencing with the 16-32.
From the research I've done, it seems that the users who have moved to a drum sander from a cantilever design machine uniformly report better results, improved ease-of-use, etc.

Tom

David Kumm
06-12-2015, 10:31 AM
The General 130 was maybe the best small planer made. I would not swap for the Woodmaster. Get a dedicated sander if you have the room, either WM or Performax 25x2. Dave

Bob Falk
06-12-2015, 9:09 PM
Tom,
I have a Performax 16-32, the 25x2, and the Woodmaster 718. The 25x2 is clearly a higher performance machine but it comes at the cost of a much larger footprint. My 16-32 is older and a bit fussy to adjust. I will likely sell it and keep the 25x2.

IMO, the 718 does not excel as a planer (I can't seem to eliminate the snipe no matter what I do), however the Woodmaster is a good molder, especially since it has variable speed (and I have molded a lot of custom window trim). I don't really need the 18" width, but I got a good deal on the 718 used....... My advice would be to keep the General planer until you find out how you like the Woodmaster as a planer. If your experience is like mine, you will be glad you kept the dedicated planer. My two cents. bob

ed vitanovec
06-12-2015, 10:19 PM
My 718 1s a good planer and the change over is a little slow, at best for me would be about 10 minutes. It functions well as molder and gang ripper. I never used the drum sander attachment since I have the drum sander already. I would recommend one.

Allan Speers
06-13-2015, 12:16 AM
Tom, I've never used a Woodmaster, but earlier this year I did extensive research before buying a stationary planer, and the Woodmaster was high on my list. What killed it was how much all users seem to hate the drum sander.

Seriously.

I decided since the drum sander was evidently all but useless, to go with a Powermatic planer instead, which does just one thing, but is right there with the General 130 in terms of "the best small planer ever" status. The Woodmaster is really well built, and a very good planer, but doesn't leave the same finish as the PM, so it was crucial to me that the sander be up to snuff, which evidently it is not.

Michelle Rich
06-13-2015, 5:59 AM
I recently bought a SuperMax 19-32, as an upgrade from my Performax 10-20. I have used it for 2 mos now very heavily. NO tracking issues..came set from the factory & is perfect. Great dust collection. Auto slow down if making too big a "cut" . Easy paper change..clips on each end. The right side one is a bit hard to get to,but I have a crippled hand, so that may not be an issue for you. Overall, I believe it is a fine machine.

Tom Davis
06-14-2015, 8:05 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to pass on the 718 and keep looking for a drum sander or a Supermax.

Todd Burch
06-14-2015, 8:21 AM
This was a good thread. I have a Woodmaster 725 I bought at Auction last year, and it's missing the planer head. I wasn't sure if I should get one. It does have the molder head, but no cutters or blades. I think I will probably keep it and just use it as a molder/gang rip machine.