PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Speed and WOP

Barry McFadden
06-11-2015, 3:58 PM
I used WOP for the first time to finish a bowl and was very impressed with the results, plus no cleaning brushes, no worrying about brush marks or that inevitable small drip on the last coat!!
My question concerns lathe speed when using WOP. I don't have a variable speed lathe so my slowest speed is about 500 RPM. Is this too fast for applying finish? I used it on the first coat then concerned that it may by spinning off the finish and get possible ridges I just turned it by hand for the next 2 coats. How do you guys that use WOP all the time apply it?

Reed Gray
06-11-2015, 4:32 PM
500 rpm for a wipe on poly, even if it is a gel, will leave you with a racing stripe, on the wall, lathe, ceiling, floor, and you... Been there and done that more than once. I do tend to really slop it on so there is a lot to penetrate and soak in, and some times I even thin the first coat, again for better penetration. I like speeds below 50 rpm. On very small diameter pieces like pens, it isn't as much of a problem. On a 14 inch bowl, well get a shield. I do hope you already know that all rags or paper towels need to go directly into the wood stove, a water bucket, or outside on the gravel/concrete driveway. They can spontaneously combust.

robo hippy

Doug Herzberg
06-11-2015, 5:15 PM
I agree. Turn it by hand. French polish can go on at 500 rpm.

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2015, 5:24 PM
I use WOP off the lathe. First coat or two is just to saturate the wood and seal it. I flood the piece and allow to dry before adding additional thin layers to get the sheen I want.

Barry McFadden
06-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies...I will hand turn the lathe when I finish pieces in the future...

Stan Smith
06-12-2015, 5:04 PM
I just used wop with my chalice off the lathe (See my recent post). I applied 4 coats over 4 days and rubbed white synth wool between coats. I'm happy with the satin finish. I applied it with blue paper shop towels. I've never tried to apply wop on the lathe, but am just mentioning the success that I had doing it off the lathe. Just felt that I had more control that way. YMMV.

Barry McFadden
06-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks Stan... I appreciate your comments....