PDA

View Full Version : Veritas crosscut saw opinions

Phil Mueller
06-11-2015, 7:20 AM
In my ongoing interest in hand tools, my next step is to replace using my TS for tenons and moving to a hand saw. Believe it or not, I don't own a single useable hand saw.
The latest issue of FWW rates the Veritas Crosscut saw as a best value ($79) with "very good" scores for rip and crosscut. As a first saw, it seems to be an easy investment.
Anyone own/use one of these? Opinions?
Thank you.

Duncan Foster
06-11-2015, 7:31 AM
Curious to to see what others say too. Was leaning towards LN until I read this. Have numerous LV tools and have not been let down yet

Stephen Clement
06-11-2015, 7:33 AM
Not that one, but I have the LV dovetail saw from the same line (molded spine, right). It is a very good saw. The handle is comfortable, it cuts clean, and comes sharp. I have no complaints about its functionality. I don't have a tenon or carcass saw yet, but am leaning towards the LN versions for two reasons - I like the look of the flared handle and the brass back more than the LV version and I want to try a tapered saw. The tapered saws apparently help you not overshoot your line on the backside by having the heel taller than the toe.

Derek Cohen
06-11-2015, 8:51 AM
In my ongoing interest in hand tools, my next step is to replace using my TS for tenons and moving to a hand saw. Believe it or not, I don't own a single useable hand saw.
The latest issue of FWW rates the Veritas Crosscut saw as a best value ($79) with "very good" scores for rip and crosscut. As a first saw, it seems to be an easy investment.

Hi Phil

I assume that you are planning to saw the cheeks (and not the shoulders). If so, I would rather use a dedicated rip saw.

I want to try a tapered saw. The tapered saws apparently help you not overshoot your line on the backside by having the heel taller than the toe.

Stephen, do the tapered saws have some electronic depth stop or laser beam that enables them to stop sawing in time? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

ken hatch
06-11-2015, 9:07 AM
Phil,

I have a saw jones, with one or more of several maker's saws in my till. With the exception of saw "bling" the LV saws are as good as any and better than some. You can't go wrong with one, you can buy the whole set, all that is needed for any project for less than single pimped out Bad Axe saw. I'm not knocking Bad Axe, I have one of almost every saw Bad Axe makes, it's just the LV saws are very good at any price point.

ken

Brian Thornock
06-11-2015, 9:12 AM
I don't do a ton of hand sawing, but I do have the LV dovetail saw and small cross cut saw. I like them very much. They cut cleanly, are well made, and are a pleasure to use. I don't think you can go wrong there. Then again, some of the more classically styled tools look mighty nice...

Prashun Patel
06-11-2015, 9:34 AM
I have that Veritas saw.

To be clear (I dont think they stipulated this in the article) there are 2 cross cut saws Veritas makes: tenon (larger) and carcass (smaller). The $79 one is the carcass saw.

I like it, but am relatively new to handsaws. For me, it's balanced, crosscuts straight, aggressively, and cleanly. I do find it a little awkward to cut the tenon cheeks with though. I haven't figured out the optimal way to hold stock for ripping with it.

David Spurr
06-11-2015, 12:26 PM
I have the crosscut and the rip and like them both. Absolutely no complaints for $79.

Max Neu
06-11-2015, 12:29 PM
I have the Veritas cross cut saw,and also the Lie Nielson saw.I like the Veritas saw just as well as the Lie Nielson saw,even though it was cheaper.I have not dulled the Veritas blade enough to need sharpened,but was wondering if it is worth having sharpened (I don't sharpen handsaw blades) for the price of the saw.I am thinking by the time you pay shipping on top of the sharpening cost,it might make more sense to just get another saw?

Malcolm Schweizer
06-11-2015, 12:58 PM
I have it and the dovetail saw and gents saw. It cuts like butter and is a heck of a deal for the price. My only issue is that the back will flex some, but really if you flex it then it's due to bad form- twisting the saw in the cut or wiggling it side to side.

James Waldron
06-11-2015, 1:04 PM
I have the Veritas cross cut saw,and also the Lie Nielson saw.I like the Veritas saw just as well as the Lie Nielson saw,even though it was cheaper.I have not dulled the Veritas blade enough to need sharpened,but was wondering if it is worth having sharpened (I don't sharpen handsaw blades) for the price of the saw.I am thinking by the time you pay shipping on top of the sharpening cost,it might make more sense to just get another saw?

When you do replace them, I'll assist with recycling them. Just send 'em along. I won't even charge for the service. It's for the public good.

Actually, I have both V. rip and crosscut carcass saws and I'm keeping 'em. I'll sharpen them as needed. It's not that hard.

paul cottingham
06-11-2015, 3:01 PM
I have pretty much every joinery backsaw veritas makes, except the tenon saws. I also have a Bad Axe sash saw, a couple antique Disston tenon saws, and a Lie-Nielsen carcass saw. Dollar for dollar the Veritas saws are as good as any saw I own. No ifs ands or buts.

Make no mistake, the "premium" saws are fantastic, and I would never part with any of them. But I got extremely good deals on all of them, otherwise my Veritas saws would be all I own.

I'm basically a full blown Neanderthal, so they get used all the time. In the interests of full disclosure, I seriously dislike the balance on the Veritas tenon saws, so I would never buy one. I also wish the handles were easier to modify. I have large hands, with serious neuropathy in them, so I'm more sensitive to handles than most, and pickier. And would love to modify the handles a little. But I'm not sure how the composite handles would take to that.

Curt Putnam
06-11-2015, 3:33 PM
As Paul said, the handles are small for anyone with larger hands. Unlike Paul, I believe the handles to be solid wood (Bubinga). Regardless, unless you are going to be sawing for hours at a time, the handles will serve even my hands (~ 4.25" across the palms.) Make a cut, put the saw down and do other things is generally the pattern I follow.

JMO & YMWV

Stephen Clement
06-11-2015, 4:21 PM
Derek, alas no, only Jedi mind tricks. Although on the simple minded, Jedi mind tricks are equally effective.

-s

paul cottingham
06-11-2015, 5:53 PM
As Paul said, the handles are small for anyone with larger hands. Unlike Paul, I believe the handles to be solid wood (Bubinga). Regardless, unless you are going to be sawing for hours at a time, the handles will serve even my hands (~ 4.25" across the palms.) Make a cut, put the saw down and do other things is generally the pattern I follow.

JMO & YMWV

I believe I stand corrected. I think the handles are solid wood. The spine is composite.

Maybe I should get out the rasp....

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2015, 8:25 PM
I have the crosscut and the rip and like them both. Absolutely no complaints for $79.

+1

Hey Max? My local sharpener does a good job on old backsaws for less than $10. (My Veritas haven't needed sharpened yet but don't see why I should expect a different result with them.) You might check around in your area. Beats buying a new saw.

Fred

Ron Bontz
06-11-2015, 9:33 PM
Take it with a grain of salt. But if you are not sure what you need or want, then a good vintage back saw would be a good way to go. Providing you don't have to have it sharpened/ tuned, etc. By the time you pay someone to do that, you may have spent more than the Veritas. That being said the Veritas saws in general are a very good bang for the buck. If you are lazy like me or don't have time to roam the sales looking for a good vintage saw, the Veritas would be the way to go. The plates will be straight as an arrow and the machine sharpened teeth will cut true. ( the operator may not, though. ) :) You won't break any speed records cutting with them. But then, why would you want to? Welcome to the new Old world and best of luck in your hunt.

Phil Mueller
06-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Thanks all for the quick input. Appreciate the first hand experience.
The three saw deal from Lee Valley is tempting. I am so over my tool budget the last few weeks...then again Fathers Day is around the corner. Maybe one from each child and one from LOML. Let's see how that flies...