PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Have A Craftsman 1/4 HP Biscuit Joiner?

Corey Hallagan
08-14-2005, 1:43 PM
I got one of these for Christmas several years ago. It is a little BJ with I think a 1/4 HP motor and has that little chip box on it, resin fence. I have never used it but thinking I might be able to use it on some up coming projects. Anyone else have this one and any problems, pointers etc.?

Thanks,
Corey

Dale Rodabaugh
08-14-2005, 3:40 PM
Corey,cant help you with the Craftsman.I have A PC,and use it a lot for making up panels.Have even used it for picture frames with the mini biscuits.I wouldnt want to be without it.;) ;) ;)

Don Selke
08-14-2005, 3:53 PM
Hi Corey:

I was given the same biscuit jointer for Christmas by my son a few years ago. I have used it for picture framing and have a supply of mini biscuits. My machine came with a standard blade (not carbide) and I am sure that it will dull very soon especially if used in hardwoods or MDF. I have also found that keeping it in line with the mark is a challenge. I have the PC biscuit jointer that I use on a regular basis in the shop. In comparison, the small Craftsman is a toy. I have only used it on small joints under 1-1/2", to reinforce picture frame mitres. To put it bluntly, it is a cute little thing. When my son comes over, he asks if I still use the present, I tell him that it is kept in the orriginal box tucked away in the shop.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-14-2005, 9:37 PM
I have one, it stays on the shelf, I have not had any luck with it! I have learned to edge glue boards w/o biscuits, so I don't miss it.

Corey Hallagan
08-14-2005, 9:44 PM
Thanks guys. It actually is a 5/8 hP unit with a carbide cutter. I tried a couple edge joints and a simple butt joint like a face frame and it worked pretty decent actually once I adjust the depth so the biscuit would sink halfway into the wood. The DC catcher is kind of a joke and you have to make sure you get all the chips out of the way so they don't interfere with the next cut. Seems like it might work decent for occasional use, I think I will use my Kreg for most of these same functions but seems like a biscuit joiner is more suited for panel joining glue ups.
Thanks again,
Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Corey, I have the same one also. I use it quite a bit. I made a shelf cabinet with a decrative front that I used it on and it works just fine. Like you said the dust basket is not real keen, but it does the job.

By the way Corey, how is the DW 618 PK working? I am starting to think that may be the way to go for now and my lovely wife seems to think that is a smart thing to do. I mean who am I to argue with her.:) Getting the combo set would be nice with the fixed and plunge base. Then I could leave the Craftsman 2 hp dedicated to the router table which is craftsman. Thanks Corey. Hope you had a good weekend.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
08-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks Bernie!! I appreciate it. The DW618 is an awesome router. I just put on the Pat Warner bases the other night and that makes a great router set even nicer. I just love the DW 618 plunge base and have been having fun just messing with it. I used a 1 1/2 HP Craftsman for quite a long while as my largest HP router so I think you would be fixed up well with the CMan 2 HP in your table and a the 618 pk to work with otherwise. What is funny is that the Dewalt is 2 1/4 HP and about 3/4 of the size of the 1 1/2 HP Craftsman that I have. Love the feel of that DW618, very comfortable to use. You will be happy Bernie! You can always upgrade the table router later if you have a mind to.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2005, 4:53 PM
Thanks Corey. I appreciate the info. Anyway will be looking at those rather seriously.

Bernie