PDA

View Full Version : Bag for DeWalt 735 Planer Dust?

Steve H Graham
06-10-2015, 8:44 PM
I decided to put my DeWalt 735 planer on a mobile base and add a dust bag. Maybe if I set it up properly, I will actually USE it.

I found a forum thread by a guy who said he fixed his planer up with a Toro leaf collector bag. He put up photos of the results, and even though he was only using 2 1/2" hose, it worked great. I am following his example, but the product he bought isn't readily available.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/dewalt-dw735-planer-chip-bag/

I got a shop-vac hose rigged up to the planer's output, but now I need a bag.

I have checked around, and some people say you don't need a super-fine filter on the planer, because it doesn't make much fine dust. Is that true? If so, I can put just about any type of bag on it. One guy on the Internet is using a pillow case.

If fine dust is an issue, can anyone recommend a good cheap bag? I prefer a 2 1/2" opening, but 4" would also work. I found a Powertec 3-micron bag, but it looks small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291323772330

Bosch makes a bag for a portable table saw. I doubt the filtration is great, but it looks like a good fit.

Myk Rian
06-10-2015, 9:05 PM
Fines are not an issue. Just large shavings. Use a gunny sack.

Larry Frank
06-10-2015, 10:02 PM
I want to see a video of this. Unless everything is really secured well, the blower on it will blow the bag into the next county. Before I had a dust collector I just ran a 4" metal dryer duct into trash can. It is mainly chips and not much fine dust.

Art Mann
06-10-2015, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the statement that a planer doesn't produce much fine dust. I wish I had a particulate measurement tool to verify it.

John McClanahan
06-10-2015, 10:30 PM
I have a DW 735. I use a short piece of 2 1/2" hose and a dust bag made for a Bosch job site table saw. The hose lets the bag hang off to the side of the planer. The only problem is the bag fills up fast.

John

Michelle Rich
06-11-2015, 6:07 AM
I used a grain bag ( yes, from the feed mill) ..and used a hose clamp on the outlet.

Sam Puhalovich
06-11-2015, 6:23 AM
I too have a DW-735 ... no doubt in my mind that there's 'fines' being scrubbed-off by the knives.
If I were going to bag the shavings ... I'd use the 5 micron bag from Rockler: item #20431 @ $33.

Charles Lent
06-11-2015, 11:52 AM
I always use my DW735 planer outside and use the DeWalt hose accessory for it. The end of the hose has a fabric can cover with a draw string to keep it on the can. I don't worry about fines because they blow away. The 38 gallon can fills way too quickly though. Every once in a while the cover comes off of the can and chips blow out of it everywhere, but this is the main reason why I don't do it in the shop.

I never plane short or very thin boards, so I haven't had any kick-back, but I never stand or allow anyone else to stand in line with the infeed or outfeed ends of the planer either. I was taught this in high school almost 60 years ago and have followed it since.

Charley

Steve H Graham
06-11-2015, 12:11 PM
I love the Internet. Ask a question and start a controversy.

I don't think the bag will fly off. Other people have not had that problem, and I am planning to use a hose clamp to attach it. The bag end of the house has a larger diameter than the body of the hose, so the clamp should not have to work hard. The planer end has a 2" rubber pipe sleeve with 2 built-in hose clamps.

DeWalt quit selling the garbage can accessory. I guess I should have started shopping a few years sooner.

The Bosch and Rocker bags may be good solutions. Thanks for the replies.

Steve H Graham
06-11-2015, 12:40 PM
I am a little concerned because it looks like the opening on the Rockler bag is 8", and I have to make it work with a 2 1/2" hose end.

Mike Ontko
06-11-2015, 4:01 PM
This might be a little more elaborate than what you're looking for, but instead of a collection bag, what about running a rigid or flexible pipe from the chip exhaust into a dedicated trash can or bucket fixed with a fine mesh screen or ventilation filter on the lid? Chips go in and the air inside is pushed out through the screen/filter.

Jerry Thompson
06-11-2015, 5:01 PM
I have tried most of the afore mentioned attempt's at catching chips from my 735. I found the best method was to use it out side and let the chips fall where they may.:)

Steve H Graham
06-11-2015, 5:45 PM
This brings me back to the fine dust question, but some here say there is fine dust, and others say there isn't! A bucket with a screen would be simple and cheap if I could get away with it.

This might be a little more elaborate than what you're looking for, but instead of a collection bag, what about running a rigid or flexible pipe from the chip exhaust into a dedicated trash can or bucket fixed with a fine mesh screen or ventilation filter on the lid? Chips go in and the air inside is pushed out through the screen/filter.

Jim Finn
06-11-2015, 6:51 PM
.... The end of the hose has a fabric can cover with a draw string to keep it on the can. I don't worry about fines because they blow away. The 38 gallon can fills way too quickly though....
Charley
I once had one of these and it worked well. I gave it to a friend and he likes it. (I now have a dust collection system) The fine dust does escape the fabric bag system but all the large chips are collected.

Larry Frank
06-11-2015, 7:33 PM
I think my comment about fines may have been taken a little wrong. I said it is mainly chips and not much fine dust. I did not imply there were no fines. Compared to a sander, the proportion of fines is much less.

The fines I am most concerned about are those in the 1 micron range. Now with a dust collection system, I do not really see the chips and dust.

Steve H Graham
06-11-2015, 8:01 PM
I finally got the table put together. In retrospect, I think the factory stand (or a wooden one) would have been less aggravation.

Charles Lent
06-12-2015, 7:51 AM
I wasn't aware that the DeWalt hose and trash can cover had been discontinued. You should be able to use any vacuum hose of the right diameter. On the 735 exhaust port there are two pins that help to hold the hose in place. One is fixed and the other is spring loaded. If you can modify your hose end to accept these pins your hose should stay on better. On the can end of the hose you can probably use almost any kind of open mesh cloth to cover the can. Cut a hole in the center for the hose and then use a radiator clamp to secure the fabric to the hose. The perimeter of the can top will need to have at least a rolled edge or flare to keep the fabric from pulling off. The 735 can top has a draw string and a spring loaded button to tighten the fabric around the can much like the draw string and button used in Winter hoodies. Most any kind of tie that you can wrap tightly around the can below the rolled edge should hold the fabric on as long as it fits below the rolled edge of the can. My first can was a 38 gallon plastic waste can and the handles of it were molded into the top edge, making it difficult to fit the DeWalt bag cover. This is the can that I had the cover pop off of. I later switch to an old fashioned galvanized steel garbage can with an unbroken rolled top edge and had no more problems securing the cover to it.

Charley

Curt Harms
06-12-2015, 8:12 AM
This may be outrageously expensive, I don't know but it might be worth a call.

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com and see if they have any suggestions.

Prashun Patel
06-12-2015, 8:18 AM
I have my DW735 connected to a 5ft length of pvc pipe that terminates in a Woodcraft portable dc filter bag (I think it's 20 micron). It works surprisingly well (if you're not concerned about fine dust).

The fan in the planer is powerful enough to eject chips into the bag, but not so powerful as to blow the bag or pipe off. The pvc drain pipes don't fit standard dc fittings anyway, so I wrapped the ends of the pipe in duct tape. This added friction creates a tight, but removeable fitting that resists the blower's force.

The reason I put the pipe between the bag and the planer is so the bag is not hanging in the path of the wood, or emitting dust right into my face as I stand over the planer.

Robert Delhommer Sr
06-12-2015, 8:28 AM
Not exactly what you asked, but my DW735 is connected to a 1Hp HF DC thru a Thien style separator and works great.

Steve H Graham
06-13-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm starting to think I should use a burlap bag and shove it under the garage door. If fine stuff exits, it lands on the blacktop.

John McClanahan
06-13-2015, 1:09 PM
Not a bad idea. The 735 has a real good dust blower on it so a long hose shouldn't be a problem.

John

Edward Oleen
06-14-2015, 1:26 PM
go to youtube and look for home-made dust collectors: a Thien Hat sucked on by a shop vac handles it all. I once - out of need, used a HF "shop vac" with good success.

Steve H Graham
06-19-2015, 7:34 PM
I decided to give the burlap bag a try, since they're big and cheap. I would not call it a positive experience.

When I picked up the bag after planing some stuff, there was a pile of dust under it, and every time I moved the bag, dust went everywhere.

I am now waiting on a Powertec 3-micron bag from Ebay.

Charles Lent
06-19-2015, 8:03 PM
Even the DeWalt hose/can cover lets some fines out. I always use my 735 outside for that reason. The hose/can cover catches the big stuff and the neighborhood gets the fines, but my shop stays relatively clean. My shop collector vents outside too, but only after I have filtered it as best as I can, but my shop collector is small and can't handle the volume from the 735, so it has to be an outside tool.

Charley

Steve H Graham
06-19-2015, 8:15 PM
I was surprised at how much junk it pumps out. I never collected it in a sack before. It adds up fast!

Charles Lent
06-20-2015, 8:56 AM
Yes it does. I can fill a 30 gal can just planing a couple of boards several passes on each side. Those who feed their shop dust collectors with the output of their planers must have some very big chip collecting barrels or are changing them several times a day.

Charley

Curt Harms
06-21-2015, 9:06 AM
Yes it does. I can fill a 30 gal can just planing a couple of boards several passes on each side. Those who feed their shop dust collectors with the output of their planers must have some very big chip collecting barrels or are changing them several times a day.

Charley

I started out with a 16 gal. Shop Vac. That didn't last long.

Robert Willing
06-21-2015, 10:07 AM
I hook up Dewalt to my DC and get eggs from the dust I collect? I save the chips for an egg farmer and he gives me eggs for the dust which he uses as bedding for his chickens and duck. Ever have a duck egg they are great.

Steve H Graham
06-21-2015, 1:06 PM
Yesterday I had to plane something. I ran the end of the hose out under the garage door! I figured it was easier to clean the driveway than the garage.

I went out later expecting to do considerable sweeping, but there wasn't much stuff out there. Suits me.

Charles Lent
06-22-2015, 6:45 AM
Let me guess. The wind was blowing, right?

Charley

Prashun Patel
06-22-2015, 6:49 AM
Just don't give him walnut dust, or there's a chance those ducks will be eggstinct...

i have read that the chemical in walnut husks and wood can be poisonous to some animals.

Steve H Graham
06-27-2015, 6:40 PM
The Powertec 3-micron bag I ordered arrived, and I clamped it on and planed a few bits of wood. If anything got through the bag, it's too small to see. Good enough for me!

Myk Rian
06-28-2015, 9:31 AM
Just don't give him walnut dust, or there's a chance those ducks will be eggstinct...

i have read that the chemical in walnut husks and wood can be poisonous to some animals.

You don't want it around horses. Their urine mixes with it which creates a chemical that will cause problems (rot) with their hooves.

Phil Thien
06-28-2015, 11:56 AM
I know of a few guys using a Thien-style separator with no suction, on their 735's. The exhaust just exhaust into nothing.

I always urge caution (use it outdoors) because all tools generate fines. And some fines will make it through any separator.