PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4s battery swap

Joel Goodman
06-10-2015, 8:36 PM
Has anyone replaced the battery on their iPhone 4S? Mine discharges pretty fast especially from 40 % on down. Seems from uTube pretty doable - but would love to hear from anyone who has done it. Also what's a good reliable source for the replacement and tools. I'm looking at the iFixit kit for about $22 from Fry's Electronics - thoughts?

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-11-2015, 1:34 AM
I swapped mine several months ago. I ordered a battery off of ebay since they all seemed pretty much the same. I think I paid less then $11 including shipping for the battery. I also ordered a tool kit that has the Philips #000 and 5-point Pentalobe screwdriver bits. Don't try to do it without those tools. I didn't bother with ordering any plastic opening tools. I used a scrap of plastic I had from engraving supplies. You probably have some form of plastic device that will work. Probably even a plastic knife.

I followed ifixit's instructions here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4S+Battery+Replacement/7111

The most trouble I had was in Step 4 in the third photo with the red square where they give you the warning about the pressure contact could come loose. Mine did and it was a bit of a challenge to keep it where it belonged. It's a very small piece.

I have not had any problems since replacing the battery. (I like the size of my 4S, but do envy the battery life of the LOML's new gigantic 6 Plus!)

roger wiegand
06-11-2015, 9:45 AM
Depends on how comfortable you are manipulating tiny, fragile parts. After breaking a couple and making the repairs much more complicated I now take my i-devices to the guys who do it 20 time a day. I's not significantly more expensive than buying the tools and a lot less frustrating.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2015, 2:54 PM
I took mine to a place at the mall and thought it was worth what I paid. My daughter used it for another year+ after before Verizon basically begged me to give her a 5C at no charge other than the contract extension.

Stan Calow
06-11-2015, 5:53 PM
ATT wanted $200 plus another $20 a month for a new iPhone so I was going to give this a try. The YouTube videos are pretty good. As soon as I ordered a new battery & toolkit, it started working normally again.

Joel Goodman
06-12-2015, 1:25 AM
Depends on how comfortable you are manipulating tiny, fragile parts. After breaking a couple and making the repairs much more complicated I now take my i-devices to the guys who do it 20 time a day. I's not significantly more expensive than buying the tools and a lot less frustrating.

Thanks for the responses! The local computer repair shop recommended a guy who wants 30 to do it -- both dollars and minutes ---it was about 20 for the battery and tools so I am thinking that might be the way to go.