PDA

View Full Version : Any good recommendations

Junior hall
06-10-2015, 6:15 PM
Does any one have a recommendation for plastic/transparent sheets squares circles Thanks in advance

Bert Kemp
06-10-2015, 9:04 PM
what is a square circle:confused:

Junior hall
06-10-2015, 9:20 PM
square or circle or any other shape that there are out there i forgot i got to be specific Here any kind of shapes there are Hope that helps

Bill George
06-10-2015, 11:53 PM
square or circle or any other shape that there are out there i forgot i got to be specific Here any kind of shapes there are Hope that helps

Most people buy acrylic and make their own circles, and other shapes with a laser machine. So I guess I don't understand the question.

Bert Kemp
06-11-2015, 12:27 AM
go to HD buy sheeys and cut your own

Junior hall
06-11-2015, 1:43 AM
Are the acrylic transparent
Thanks Bert Kemp for going to home depot but are they transparent.

Junior hall
06-11-2015, 1:54 AM
ok so acrylic transparent is also known as colored plexi glass acrylic. Ok so its just a fancy name for colored plexi glass acrylic transparent. I found a place i need to learn these technical terms found a place and Bert Kemp your right i probably can get this locally at Home Depot as Transparent is colored plexi glass ( acrylic ) http://transparent-acrylic.com/

I will start using these technical terms transparent is colored Thanks

Scott Shepherd
06-11-2015, 8:07 AM
PlexiGlas is the name of a brand, not a product. PlexiGlas consists of many, many different products, many different colors.

You are looking for clear acrylic. PlexiGlas makes a clear acrylic.

Tony Lenkic
06-11-2015, 9:12 AM
Junior,

You may be confusing transparent with translucent.
Transparent is clear acrylic. Translucent comes in various colors.

Doug Griffith
06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Junior,

You may be confusing transparent with translucent.
Transparent is clear acrylic. Translucent comes in various colors.

Opaque cannot be seen through at all (with or without color)
Transparent can be seen through without any "cloudiness" as in a car window (with or without color)
Translucent is semi-transparent and may be said to be "cloudy" as in a plastic cup (with or without color)

Junior hall
06-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Yes your right i was confusing transparent and translucent i was confusing them both

I am looking for translucent acrylic As Bert kemp suggested for me to try Home Depot for this translucent ( color ) acrylic

Thanks all for the help and correcting me on the confusing i was saying thanks once again to all thanks

Mike Null
06-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Junior

You mention color. HD carries only clear. If you want translucent you will have to go to one of the plastics suppliers like Johnson Plastics. Transparent and translucent come in various colors.

Doug shows you a good example.

Bert Kemp
06-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Mike I've seen colored 8.5 x 11 sheets at HD

Junior

You mention color. HD carries only clear. If you want translucent you will have to go to one of the plastics suppliers like Johnson Plastics. Transparent and translucent come in various colors.

Doug shows you a good example.

Mike Null
06-11-2015, 11:39 AM
I'll have to check that a little closer. I just bought some clear extruded a few days ago and they had only clear in that section.

Bert, in case you didn't know, HD gives a 10% vet's discount on everything not on sale. (a couple of years back that saved me about $300 on deck materials)

Ross Moshinsky
06-11-2015, 12:02 PM
https://www.inventables.com/categories/materials/acrylic
http://www.delviesplastics.com/

Two easy places to buy various types of acrylic.

Bert Kemp
06-11-2015, 6:59 PM
Last time I looked they had some Bl, rd and grn sheets on the shelve, just might depend on the store to. I know walmart discontinues Items if they don't sell enough of them HD store might also.

Oh I've been getting my Vets discount from HD since they first started giving it.. Dennys give you 10% also plus tons of places. and Thank you for your service Mike:)

I'll have to check that a little closer. I just bought some clear extruded a few days ago and they had only clear in that section.

Bert, in case you didn't know, HD gives a 10% vet's discount on everything not on sale. (a couple of years back that saved me about $300 on deck materials)

Junior hall
07-17-2015, 9:18 PM
Sorry i lost my notes on this one My mail man is a DJ and does weddings and party's. He is wanting what they call a gobos which is a clear colored printed piece of plastic as we both said i can make this out of plexi glass. He is putting the thin piece of plastic that is colored with the letters clear and he puts it into a light and he shows it on the walls You can look these up on Youtube. My question sorry is which one should i use Transparent acrylic or Translucent that comes in various colors. thanks

Mike Null
07-18-2015, 9:23 AM
Junior

Do a google search for gobos. I think the acrylic will melt if the lights have any significant wattage.

Bill George
07-18-2015, 9:45 AM
And Gee If you want colors, I guess you will need to purchase the colored acrylic. Like Mike it looks to have some pretty high wattage / high heat lamps.

Junior hall
07-18-2015, 10:01 AM
He has a low wattage light for this as this is why he said acrylic would work

Ross Moshinsky THANKS THEM LINKS HELPED ME DECIDE WHICH ONE I NEEDED (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?60717-Ross-Moshinsky)

Kev Williams
07-18-2015, 12:18 PM
May I suggest eplastics.com?

I have 2 of the best plastics suppliers in the country within 8 miles of me, neither of which carries 3/8" thick plex in stock these days...? My minimum special order was a full 4' x 8' sheet, which was more than twice what I needed, and between the cost of the plastic and the cutting I needed done it would've been well over $600. When I ran out this plex and heard the bad news, I bought a few lengths of 3/8" clear extruded square rod tubing. Because I have to cement 2 sides of these to more plex, that didn't work out at all. No such thing as a flat side on extruded square rod...

I found eplastics during a search (this was only 2 weeks ago), discovered I could order a 3/8" x 2' x 4' sheet of translucent white (perfect), and have it cut into the 48" x 3/8" x 3/8" strips I needed. The plex, cutting charge and shipping to my door was under $180. I got the strips last week and couldn't be more pleased. They were packaged very well, and cut perfectly.

I've been patronizing my local brick & mortar stores for over 30 years, and I think it's a shame I have to go online to get what I consider "routine" materials.