PDA

View Full Version : What Speed Grinder For Buffing Plastic?

Derek Arita
06-10-2015, 5:39 PM
I've got some plastic handles that I've sanded and now I need to buff them out. I have no idea what speed grinder I should be using. I have a standard, HF grinder and a Delta slow speed grinder. With 8" wheels, what speed should I be using to buff the plastic? By the way, I should also ask what compound are best to use? I got blue only because it said Plastic on the description, however I've seen brown and white used on Youtube.

Tom M King
06-10-2015, 6:43 PM
I don't know what speed it is, but for golf club ferrules, most people, including me, use a 1x42 belt sander with a white linen belt. I would think it would work well on any plastic that can take a polish. No compound is used. I expect it's just the right amount of friction. Golf ferrules are fairly soft, relative to a tool handle, but I expect it would work. The ferrules not only get polished, but one 3 second spin on the belt also turns them down flush with the clubhead hosel.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PFTB_A_Linen+Ferrule+Turning+Be lts_A_c2p_E_cs

I should try a plain wheel on the buffer to see what it does, but the to-do list is long.