PDA

View Full Version : Vega Pro Duplicator opinions

Ed Lang
08-14-2005, 1:11 PM
If you have, or know of someone with a Vega Pro duplicator please tell me more!

I would like to know what is left on the lathe when the duplicator is removed.

If anyone is using a Vega Pro on a lathe with a swing larger than 16", how are the larger brackets working out for you? I will be mounting to a Oneway 2436.

If you own, use or know about any of the Vega duplicators and would like to give your opinion, please jump in as well.

Richard Wolf
08-14-2005, 7:34 PM
Ed, I have the lighter version duplicator, now it's called the untility duplicator, at the time I purchased it, it was the only one they made, (I believe).
When you remove the duplicator there is nothing left on the lathe. It is mounted with bolts passing between the ways. I used to mount it on the back, turn the bit over so I could use the duplicator and free turn without a new set up.
The biggest problem with any duplicator that works like this is vibration and the need for a steady rest or better yet, a follow rest.
Also, trying to copy details will leave you with some hand work to touch things up, that's why I mounted it on the back of the lathe.

Good luck with it and have fun.

Richard

Steve Clardy
08-14-2005, 9:50 PM
Got a buddy with a 8' Vega, with duplicator. But can't tell you much about it as I've never run it. I'm trying to trade him out of it though.

Ed Lang
08-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I emailed a few questions to Vega right after posting this. I got a phone call from Randy at Vega shortly after. He answered all of my questions and I have a Pro 36" model with the custom brackets for my 2436 as well as the carbide cutters shipping out to me on Monday. I hope by Wednesday I will have it in hand and maybe installed.

I will be sure to post after getting it going and maybe even a picture or two for you know who!

Here is a before picture from today.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/32189302-S.jpg

Yes I know no Vega for bowls but I just had to turn something while waiting for the UPS man:)