PDA

View Full Version : New/Used Grizzly Cyclone Price?

Andrew Ulsher
06-10-2015, 4:44 PM
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5048329339.html
So, what is a reasonable price for a New/Used Grizzly Cyclone? When one can have it delivered with warranty (non-transferable I believe) for $1,074, noise reducer $45, and stand $225.
Or is it not worth dealing with someone that thinks they can rehash $1,100 of a $1350 expense including someone dismantling, picking up, and re-mantling?

Kent Adams
06-10-2015, 5:22 PM
So, what is a reasonable price for a New/Used Grizzly Cyclone? When one can have it delivered with warranty (non-transferable I believe) for $1,074, noise reducer $45, and stand $225.
Or is it not worth dealing with someone that thinks they can rehash $1,100 of a $1350 expense including someone dismantling, picking up, and re-mantling?

I think its worth it, if you like the Cyclone. I would assume you'd have to assemble it if you bought it new, so there is some value there that its already assembled. What I question is that the seller used it for 5 minutes before he found it was too powerful for his blast cabinet? I would want to make sure about the warranty and whether it was or wasn't transferrable. Texas maybe different than NC, but generally warranties should be transferrable. What if you buy someone a gift? Warranty laws are often state specific.

I took a look around the San Antonio CL tools and this appears to be a bargain if you own Festool.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5066595286.html

Mike Chalmers
06-10-2015, 8:18 PM
New from Grizzly - DC - $995. Stand - $225. Muffler - $42.95. Shipping - $79. Total - $1262.95

Used - $1100?

Not sure that the warranty would be transferable. Not sure Grizzly tech support would be as good as if you bought new from them. There is always the chance of something wrong with it.

Not worth it to me.

Wade Lippman
06-10-2015, 8:36 PM
What does that mean, "it pulls too hard"? Why can't he just stop it down? I would be skeptical.
$225 of that is for a stand. I built one for my 3hp for $40.
Warranty doesn't say if is transferable, but I would be shocked it was.
$750 is a fair price.

Andrew Ulsher
06-10-2015, 9:07 PM
From others with more experience buying tools on Craigslist, do you ignore postings like these or lowball the 'firm' price?

eugene thomas
06-10-2015, 10:23 PM
As to how to buy on craigs list. Really depends on the situation. In this situation offer what ya feel wiling to pay and if he refuses then ya can buy new.... No really that big a risk if he refuses....

Kent Adams
06-11-2015, 5:51 AM
From others with more experience buying tools on Craigslist, do you ignore postings like these or lowball the 'firm' price?

When I list Firm on CL, I mean FIRM. When I find something I want though and the seller says firm, I tell them that if they decide to drop the price to "x", I'll buy it. That way they don't feel like I've wasted their time and they have an offer in their pocket if they change their mind.

David Linnabary
06-11-2015, 7:03 AM

I think he's a skosh high on the price, I'd be in at $900 to $1000 range on that size unit. At $1,100, you're not that far from a larger, unit new price.

David

Kent A Bathurst
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM

he's still in love with it.

that will change in a couple months

fyi - i would never pay that % of new for anything off of cl, ebay, etc.

the grief potential rates too high

Andrew Ulsher
06-11-2015, 2:23 PM
he's still in love with it.

that will change in a couple months

fyi - i would never pay that % of new for anything off of cl, ebay, etc.

the grief potential rates too high

This is kind of my reasoning. I typically follow the idea that used or like new on CL/Ebay is 50-60%.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2015, 2:51 PM
If it says firm and you lowball them expect no response or a good possibility of a nasty response.

John Lanciani
06-11-2015, 3:20 PM
If it says firm and you lowball them expect no response or a good possibility of a nasty response.

I've always thought that "firm" and "Craigslist" (or flea markets) shouldnt really be used in the same conversation. If I see something I want I'm never afraid to offer what I want to pay. If the sellers' feelings get hurt it just tells me that they are not really ready to sell it just yet.

David Kumm
06-11-2015, 6:16 PM
he didn't do his homework if using a wood collector for a blast cabinet. 1.5 hp is kind of small for a wood dust cyclone anyway so I'd pass at that price. Dave

Andrew Ulsher
06-12-2015, 8:37 AM
Why would someone want to use a wood dust collector for a blast cabinet?

lawrence dosson
06-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Andrew
new with 10 % off coupon is about the same price why take a chance on that one having a sand diet way beyond the sellers statement maybe it has already lost some of its suction?
usually always when I find a tool supposedly new or as new and it is not in an estate that you need to be very skeptical
of a sellers story
I have that model dust collector and works very well in my one man shop bought it with a grizzly 10% off coupon last year
one used for a wrong purpose I would only pay half new at the most unless I was good friend with the seller and knew he was being honest with me

Andrew Ulsher
06-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Lawrence,

Would sand ruin the filter at all? I'm thinking of offering $500 if he decides he really wants to unload it or can't find someone to buy it at the price he listed.

How much piping do you have running form it and any problems with suction?

Mike Chalmers
06-12-2015, 4:57 PM
$500 is a bit low. $700 would be fairer if in good shape. My opinion only.

Matt Meiser
06-12-2015, 9:06 PM
he didn't do his homework if using a wood collector for a blast cabinet. 1.5 hp is kind of small for a wood dust cyclone anyway so I'd pass at that price. Dave

Or they are willing to wait for a buyer to pay what they want. I just sold an engine hoist for my parents. We listed it firm at less than half the comparable HF model. I kept getting offers at 25%. Took a week and a half but we got our price. Normally I'd list a little higher and let them "negotiate" to what I really want.

Jim Andrew
06-13-2015, 9:16 PM
If you buy that small cyclone, won't be long and you will figure out that you should have gotten a bigger one. Get a bigger one now if you plan to do woodworking for long.