PDA

View Full Version : So, what are you doing during this heat?

Carole Valentine
08-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Just wondered what you folks without AC in your shops (and don't brag about being in a cool basement!) are doing to pass the time during this awful heat?
I am working on mastering the skew. I keep a practice piece mounted and will wander out there for maybe five or ten minutes at a time, practice a few cuts, then come back in, cool off while I watch some more Alan Lacer, then go back out for another ten miutes or so and practice another cut that I watched him do in the video. This morning, I was doing captive rings. No, I am not turning out any finished pieces, but I have realized that this is some of the most valuable time I could possibly spend in my shop. The skew is becoming my friend!:) It sure helps to have the Steb Center when learning to use that tool.

Charlie Plesums
08-14-2005, 12:20 PM
My Texas shop is neither heated nor air conditioned. This is my first summer since retiring to full-time woodworking. I have found that I am remarkably acclimated to the heat - so much so that I have to put on a long sleeve winter shirt when I come into the AC of the house (which my wife claims is too hot).

John Hart
08-14-2005, 12:51 PM
...(and don't brag about being in a cool basement!) ....

uh...Ok...:D

Jim Becker
08-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Building a pond...and filling it with sweat. Sheesh!

Wes Bischel
08-14-2005, 1:13 PM
Carole,
Yes, it is cool in the basement, but after a session of cutting down rough stock, I'm still soaked! The dehumidifier is running full tilt as well! No bragging here!

Wes

Chris Barton
08-14-2005, 1:14 PM
I am really lucky in this regard. My workshop is in my basement which, while not being heated or cooled remains around 78* in the summer and no colder then 58* in the winter (when I do cut on a supplemental heater). I also have a dehumidification unit in my basement that does a good job of keeping things at a comfortable RH.

Steve Jenkins
08-14-2005, 1:48 PM
If I were turning I think I'd toss down a tarp in a spare room and carry on in the cool of the house. Save the sanding for when the garage cooled down and the lathe got moved back out.

Carole Valentine
08-14-2005, 2:10 PM
Believe me, I have thought about doing just that, but my Mini is set up on a stand with extension bed and would be a real hassle to move. I guess it's just as well. If it weren't so hot, I would be turning bowls or some other project rather than the short stints at simply practicing various cuts on junk wood.

Carole Valentine
08-14-2005, 2:12 PM
Shoot, I haven't even thought about cutting up logs with the chainsaw! I looked at some of them a day or so ago and they are so far gone from this heat and humidity that I don't think they will even be worth cutting up when it does cool down. :((

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2005, 4:22 PM
Well, I'm still in the shop most of the weekend and mine is all metal with no insulation. I have found that if I get out there between 0630 and 0700 I can acclimate to the oncoming heat. I'll usually mow during the hottest part of the day with my straw hat on of course and then get back in the shop. Last year I lost 60 lbs too which has helped considerably. It's still a trick though to finish something without dripping sweat all over it. I did havee to get rid of the beard... that was driving me nuts... and I didn't have far to go already.

Ernie

Dawn Sunkle
08-14-2005, 4:46 PM
I'm having to wait until late at night to turn anything. My garage/shop is so hot its not even funny. I even looked at ac units the other day. But then I'd have to cut a hole in the wall and hubby won't let me do that. :(
So I wait until 9 or so and then go out and spend a few hours turning. Makes getting up the next day a pain.. but we have to do what we have to do. Right? ;)

Dawn

Ed Scolforo
08-14-2005, 5:31 PM
I've been busy emptying out one house and moving into another. I took my workbenches apart and reassembled in my new space. All my stationary powertools have been taken apart, along with the DC system and partially moved. I've lost 10 of my 155 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Moving day is next Tuesday, hopefully I can get back to turning in the near future.

Ed

Lee DeRaud
08-14-2005, 6:34 PM
Heat?!?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/local/92807?lswe=92807&lwsa=Weather36HourHomeCommand&from=whatwhere

Does this count as a gloat? :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
08-14-2005, 9:35 PM
I got a new camper, so I have been busy camping!!

I am currently working on the last of the three SUPER SECRET projects, finishing it. So that takes place in the basement. The garage is not insulated so I can't install an AC and it is TOO hot out there w/o it.

thomas prevost
08-14-2005, 9:46 PM
Ya gota have a walk out basement shop with four 4X5 ft windows open to collect the breezes from the lake. Its where I go to cool off.

Bill Stevener
08-14-2005, 9:50 PM
On the hot days in the shop I crank up the big fans. However, on the reeeeeeeeally hot days I stay in the house, at my desk, and work on the plans for next years project. This year a horse beet me out at the fair, so I'm thinking about turning one:eek: Maybe that will work:confused: . Was a great day hear in cent. IL. today 68 deg. and rain, we really needed both.

Keep Cool, Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Christopher
08-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Orioles game and then swimming. But I have AC in my shop so it wouldn't be a prob. ;)

Michael Cody
08-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Just wondered what you folks without AC in your shops (and don't brag about being in a cool basement!) are doing to pass the time during this awful heat?
I am working on mastering the skew. I keep a practice piece mounted and will wander out there for maybe five or ten minutes at a time, practice a few cuts, then come back in, cool off while I watch some more Alan Lacer, then go back out for another ten miutes or so and practice another cut that I watched him do in the video. This morning, I was doing captive rings. No, I am not turning out any finished pieces, but I have realized that this is some of the most valuable time I could possibly spend in my shop. The skew is becoming my friend!:) It sure helps to have the Steb Center when learning to use that tool.

Carol, you just need a little ingenuity .. see the link:

Homemade AC (http://www.iq-home.com/HVAC/Homebrew%20Air%20Conditioning.htm)