PDA

View Full Version : plywood cart

Jim Hager
08-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Here is the plywood rack that I posted about the other day. I finished it yesterday, loaded it this morning. It is in it's home spot now and can be wheeled anywhere in the shop to make it more handy to move the plywood about. Loaded up this way it is quite heavy!! but at least it will move where I want it to.

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/DF/DD/51082975-1866-01800200-.jpg

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/02/DF/51083010-d428-02000180-.jpg

The rack is made of 3" channel iron, 6" casters, 1 1/2" square tubing and welded together with a miller 130 MIG using .025 wire with mixed gas (argon and co2)

Don't remember who wanted a pic of the project but if they didn't the picture police would demand one anyway.

Brian Hale
08-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Well that should hold just about anything you can load on it! :eek:

I wish i had room for one of those but that would be half my floor space. Did you weld it?

Brian :)

Gail O'Rourke
08-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Jim, what is cooler than that you made that for yourself...that is great. I really need one of those and if I didn't have to drive across country to get it, I would be there tomorrow.

Awesome. It certainly looks like it can support the load and will last forever.

Jim Hager
08-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Brian: yes I welded it myself, and yes it will stay together, I hope :D

Gail: If you will come get it I will weld one up for you too. Be sure to tell me when you start out so I can get it done before you get here.:cool:

Corey Hallagan
08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Looks good there Jim, I am sure that would be very handy. I need to make a small version of that that can hold a couple sheets of ply and other sheet and diminsional lumber.

Corey

Aaron Montgomery
08-14-2005, 4:18 PM
Wow, that's cool! I'll bet it would hold a fair amount of drywall as well. :)

Norman Hitt
08-14-2005, 4:48 PM
Nice Rack, Jim, and plenty sturdy too. Did you use castors with ball bearings on the axles as well as on the swivels for easier rolling?

I was curious though as to why you didn't put a solid piece of wood for a floor across the bottoms to prevent edge damage of the sheet goods. That would be my only concern with only two contact points per sheet, especially in the center section where you have to more or less drag them in and out over the one metal bar.

Looks like you're going to have to get started on another WW project Real Soon, though, or add some "extension wings" on the cart, after seeing all the sheet goods you still have in the picture leaned up and standing on the floor. :D

"Quote": Aaron Montgomery; Wow, that's cool! I'll bet it would hold a fair amount of drywall as well.

Aaron, it would sure hold it, but drywall is normally best stored laying flat, especially since it is so susceptible to edge damage that you don't want to have to repair later. :D

Jim Hager
08-14-2005, 7:17 PM
Norman,"Did you use castors with ball bearings on the axles as well as on the swivels for easier rolling? "

Ball and needle bearings with grease zirks. Hubs are cast iron with rubber rims.

Norman

"That would be my only concern with only two contact points per sheet, especially in the center section where you have to more or less drag them in and out over the one metal bar."

The center section is for only 1/4 inch stock that is easy enough to get in there. I have used another plywood cart for some time made of the same material and I have had no damage issues to speak of.

Norman Hitt
08-14-2005, 7:39 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Hager]Norman,"Did you use castors with ball bearings on the axles as well as on the swivels for easier rolling? "

Ball and needle bearings with grease zirks. Hubs are cast iron with rubber rims.
QUOTE]

Sounds like what I have in mind for mine, (when I get that far down on my "to-do list). Where did you find yours, and what did they run pricewise? I missed an auction a few months back that had some items that I could have scrapped out just for the Castors since they had that kind of heavy duty Castors on them. The highest priced item (I was later told), went for $20, :mad: but if I'd been there they would have probably gone for $70 with the luck I've had lately. :D

Jim Hager
08-14-2005, 8:31 PM
Norman, I got my casters at the Jonesboro, AR location of Tool Central. The swivel casters were 10.96 each and the fixed casters were 9.96 each. Sounds kinda cheap but they seem to be good ones. Smooth and able to handle the weight. I don't remember the brand but it is one of those "off" brands of stuff that some of the tool stores carry.

TSC stores carry a pretty good selection of casters of all sizes made for heavy duty use. If you have one of those close by you should give them a try.

You might be able to find the casters on the toolcentral.com web site. I rather doubt it but they would fix you right up if you were to give them a call. 870-892-8665 is the local location. Ask for Diane.

Dan Forman
08-14-2005, 8:45 PM
That looks like one sturdy cart, and quite a load of goods in it too. I will be needing something similar, but more modest in scale, and will have to get by without the welding.

Dan

Peter Pedisich
08-14-2005, 9:27 PM
Jim,

I want one! seriously that looks excellent, very heavy duty.

I'm gonna use some of your design.

Thanks alot for the pics.

Pete