PDA

View Full Version : Amana shaper cutter instructions

Bob Vavricka
06-09-2015, 10:08 PM
I bought a used shaper that came with a set of Amana shaper cutters for raised panel doors. The door set is Amana SC546 which is the 2 piece carbide tipped stile and rail cutters. It consists of 4 pieces and came with 4 brass shims. I haven't been able to locate instructions for setting up the cutters.
I want to make arched top doors and believe I will need to purchase a rub collar for that. It also came with a raised panel cutter and bearing which I know how to set up.

Jerry Miner
06-10-2015, 2:15 AM
So you want to know how to set up for the cope and stick cuts? The shims allow you to dial in the tongue thickness in the rail ends (the cope) to match the groove width in the "sticking" portion. It may take a little trial and error to get the fit you want.

Different strokes for different folks, but I like to cope first, face down on a sled, then run all the sticking. (Two shapers are better than one---no need to change out cutters and lose the setting. Three is even better, so one is dedicated to the panel cut.). Some people prefer to cut the sticking first.

Yes, you will need the right size rub collar, and a pattern.

Max Neu
06-10-2015, 5:31 AM
I would just call Amana,tell them what you have,and what you want to do.I have called them in the past with a different situation,and they were very helpful.

John Lankers
06-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Calling Amana is probably your best bet, the cutter setup is often manufacturer specific.

rudy de haas
06-11-2015, 7:36 PM
I'd call or email Amanatool - however

1 - small resellers like mywoodcutters often have strong personal relationships with key technical people at the mfg companies they deal with. If you know the right guy, and he knows the right guy, you can usually short circuit a lot of "business process".

2 - I had a similar issue with one of the bits that came with my shaper. To my surprise (because usually their web stuff is hopeless) Richelieu had the info I needed embedded in a sales doc - see http://www.richelieu.com/documents/documentsCommandeSpeciale/101/092/9/1010929/pdf_1000020_An.pdf for stuff on your SC546. (Look at the diagrams and parts list). It is not, nor is it intended as, a set of instructions, but if may be all you need.

Peter Quinn
06-11-2015, 9:01 PM
Check this link (http://www.amanatool.com/sc546-2-piece-carbide-tipped-3-wing-stile-rail-bead-cabinet-door-3-9-16-dia-x-1-x-9-32-radius-x-1-1-1-4-bore-set-for-3-4-material.html) to Amana's site, it shows your set stacked as its meant to be used. Not much more to that story. With that set the shims would go on the coping set up between the two cutters to tune the thickness of the tongue on the end of the cope to the groove on the sticking. You may not need shims if the set has never been sharpened. You will need to to run a test piece for both cope and stick to check the fit. Looks like both cutters run standard counter clockwise rotation, feed from right to left, parts run face down. If you need basic instructions on door making on a shaper check out the old delta Getting the most out of your wood shaper (http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/sam_brown_getting_the_most_out_of_your_shaper_1936 .pdf). There is more literature on door making on router tables, perhaps because its assumed shaper users know what they are doing or perhaps manufacturers don't want to assume the risk of giving instruction?

Mel Fulks
06-11-2015, 9:08 PM
If the shims are not needed for tightness of fit one might be needed under sticking setup to make dead flush fit without changing spindle height. Some sets will make perfect fit without a shim,some won't.