PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tips I Allays Furgit.

Brian Kent
06-09-2015, 10:04 PM
I allays furgit.

When I pry my shellac can open, am I supposed to use my Starrett Combo blade or my 1/4" chisel?

I allays furgit. Can you help?

Is there anything you allays furgit?

John A langley
06-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Forgot to turn the seldom used cam of wood filler upside down,Brian side note lived in Poway for 15 years left a 1980

Moses Yoder
06-10-2015, 4:45 AM
I allays furgit.

When I pry my shellac can open, am I supposed to use my Starrett Combo blade or my 1/4" chisel?

Using either one of those would get you permanently banned from my shop, after paying damages. They make paint can openers you know. I find it very difficult to abide unorganized people.

Max Neu
06-10-2015, 5:28 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Kent;2428681]I allays furgit.

I find that my new Lee Valley PMV-11 works great for opening paint can's,I just bought a new 3/8" chisel for the bigger 1 gallon cans.You can also use the end of your calipers if your in a pinch and can't find a good chisel.

Brian W Smith
06-10-2015, 6:23 AM
About 10 or so years ago.....

A contractor Bud calls me to lay the smack down on this 14' high,breakfront triple window he's installed in this huge rm.It's the centerpce,so he wanted custom trim which was to stand on it's own,complimenting but not necessarily matching anything existing.No problemo,so we ran a bunch of cool period moulds and I was to go do the install.So here I am with hand mitre bx,a sm gathering of hand planes,and all the assorted tools of this trade.Think I was finishing up the vert. reeding that was part of a 3-4 pce apron?And looking over,there's a young woman painter that was opening a bloomin panit can with one of our razor sharp chisels.

There was a cpl guys there watching the window details.....you know,learning sumthin.We all just stood there with our jaws on the floor when she did it.Unfreakinbelievable....."she didn't just do that"?

glenn bradley
06-10-2015, 8:33 AM
And looking over,there's a young woman painter that was opening a bloomin panit can with one of our razor sharp chisels.

You mean the painter didn't even have the courtesy to ask to borrow it before borrowing it!?! How rude.

Michael Weber
06-10-2015, 2:42 PM
Using either one of those would get you permanently banned from my shop, after paying damages. They make paint can openers you know. I find it very difficult to abide unorganized people.

Ouch! Be glad you don't know me. Be very glad.

Pat Barry
06-10-2015, 3:20 PM
I allays furgit.

I always furgit my measurements. Go to piece to measure for part to make, lets say the length to cross-cut the rail (Ex: 19 5/8). Find my saw (hand or table), get set to go, measure out the cut, say to myself, this doesn't look right, was that 19 5/8 including the tenons? Did i account for the tenons at both ends? Go back and measure again, go back and cut. Wait, are you sure the other parts were correct? Double check those, get the new measurement again, go and cut? Why don't i remember the first time and get the cut done before all the doubt sneaks in? Because I make plenty of mistakes and figure each time I make that cut its 50/50 whether its right or wrong?

Bill Orbine
06-10-2015, 5:12 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Can_Opener.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPTb9-yEhsYCFcctjAodkmQAbQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFi le%3ACan_Opener.jpg&ei=v6d4VbSAD8fbsASSyYHoBg&bvm=bv.95277229,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNG6rX5mjcdiqEzcnHlvSlk-Sro-rQ&ust=1434056987323491)

Reinis Kanders
06-10-2015, 6:50 PM
My favorite is perfect coping saw cuts of the dovetail tail board waste, when I have forgotten to mark waste and in a rush end up cutting out the tails themselves. Good thing I do tails first and it was just a box.

Fred Chan
06-11-2015, 1:08 AM
Haven't seen one of those can openers in a long time. Never thought about it before but does anyone know why one handle is round with a knob on the end?

Peter Quinn
06-11-2015, 7:10 AM
Haven't seen one of those can openers in a long time. Never thought about it before but does anyone know why one handle is round with a knob on the end?

Thats so if you are sitting on a bridge eating a can of beans in traffic and the bridge collapses, you can shatter the window to escape the vehicle.

ken masoumi
06-11-2015, 9:56 AM
Does any one of you use a chisel to scrape off dried up glue?

Kent A Bathurst
06-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Does any one of you use a chisel to scrape off dried up glue?

me.

i have a set of yellow-plastic-handles stanleys for that, and other junk work.

but, more likely i use one card scraper i have dedicated to glue cleanup - best 6 bucks i ever spent

Peter Quinn
06-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Remember.....always keep a minimum safe distance of 6" between cranium and rectum to avoid a cranial-rectal inversion, which can be quite costly and painful.

ken masoumi
06-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Remember.....always keep a minimum safe distance of 6" between cranium and rectum to avoid a cranial-rectal inversion, which can be quite costly and painful.
Love it:D, thanks for the laugh.

Warren Wilson
06-11-2015, 11:57 AM
I am always impressed with the endless inventiveness that provides me with fresh new ways to screw up an operation I have performed a thousand times.

And Peter, your comment reminds me of the medical condition called "rectal-occulosis."

*His head is so far up his ass he has a sh*tty outlook on life.*

Rick Fisher
06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Yesterday I learned it again.. I always forget that when someone comes into my shop with any type of drink or fluid in a bottle, they WILL always set it down on a cast iron surface, leaving a ring.