PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Advice

Michael Moscicki
06-09-2015, 9:45 PM
I am looking at buying a complete router table package and have some questions. I am trying to decide between a Kreg package or Woodpeckers package and Woodpeckers lift vs Jessem lift. I have read numerous threads, and the impression that I get is that I can't go wrong with either system and will be happy with whatever I choose.

1) Kreg fence or Woodpeckers fence? The Kreg fence rides using a T-square system like a table saw. The Woodpeckers rides on two t tracks. The Kreg comes with a micro adjust built in, whereas the micro adjust for the Woodpeckers is $81 more although more robust.

2) I currently have a Bosch 1617 EVS and was wondering if the PC 75182 will be a noticeable upgrade over the Bosch other than the fact that it will save me from having to remove the Bosch for handheld use?

3) Woodpeckers PRL V2 or Incra version of the Jessem Mast-R Lift II? Is this another coin toss like the fence? In the videos of the Mast-R Lift II, I have seen them able to raise and lower the bit pretty quickly making me wonder if the speed of the Woodpeckers quick lift wrench is that noticeable. I can get the PRL V2 for $315 and the Incra Mast- R Lift II for $300.

The chart that Incra provides gives the edge to Mast-R Lift II. Also with the Mast-R Lift II, I would not have to buy adapter plates if I stick with the 1617 for now and decide to buy a 75182 at a later date.
http://incra.com/info/LiftComparison_042111.pdf

4)I can get a complete Kreg package(fence, top with insert plate and levelers, stand) for $589 with accessories such as featherboards, casters, on/off switch, fence stop, setup bars, etc. It becomes either $889 or $904 with lift.
http://www.hardwaresales.com/innovative-products/kreg-pocket-hole-jigs-and-woodworking-systems/the-kreg-prs1045-krs1035-prs1025-prs1015-router-table-with-caster-switch-bars.html

A comparable(not really, but close enough) Woodpeckers package(fence, top with PRL V2 lift, stand with casters) from the great folks at Carbide Processors is $826 with add-ons such as featherboards, micro adjuster, and reducer rings. No on/off switch or fence stop.

I imagine the fence would be the deciding factor in which package to buy.

I know I'm asking for advice, but research tells me I would be happy with the Kreg package for $589 plus Incra version of the Jessem Mast-R Lift II for $300 and sticking with my Bosch 1617 EVS.

I have an Incra miter gauge, Kreg pocket hole jig, and Woodpeckers measuring tools, so I am not partial to any brand if it matters in the decision making process.

John Lankers
06-09-2015, 10:06 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either one, having said I'm not sure you'll be getting the best bang for your back with the PC 75182. Check out this YouTube video series, this guy is installing the Jessem Router Lift and Milwaukee router.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2j5q-XBoM8

Art Mann
06-09-2015, 11:27 PM
It sounds to me like you really want a great router table and are willing to pay for it. I would strongly advise going with the Porter Cable, Milwaukee or some other brand of (so called) 3.25 or 3.5 horsepower router. The difference between that and the Bosch 1617 is big when you are using the table for a demanding job like panel raising. My opinion is that your router choice will make more difference than your router lift choice.

Steve Kinnaird
06-10-2015, 12:15 AM
That is a great video series on installing the lift.

Victor Robinson
06-10-2015, 12:20 AM
Maybe I missed it, but why are you not considering the Incra positioner?

You're paying a ransom for an aluminum fence and T-tracks. Why not pay a similar amount and get repeatable/incremental fence positioning? Adds a level of precision that can come in quite handy.

I have the Incra version of the Mast-R-Lift II and got it for the very reason you state - ability to install different motors in it without adapters. I've been happy with it.

Jon Nuckles
06-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I have a PC7518 in a homemade table and the soft start, speed ranges and power make it a great choice. Haven't used the Bosch, so can't compare them. As to tables and lifts, you may want to look at Fine Woodworking's back issues for its review in a recent "Tools and Shops" issue. My recollection is that FWW liked the General table and lift best.

Dave Gagnon
06-11-2015, 12:28 PM
My router table is built the following:

incra 17" LS positioner
woodpecker lift (mine is branded as Kreg)
milwaukee 5625 router.

works great, i like the adjustment on the incra fence, the lift works perfect and the router is 3.5hp so its plenty powerful.

Ole Anderson
06-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Unless you have a big backlog of projects, I recommend building your own router table and equip it with the router/lift/fence of your choosing. There are a lot of good plans for the tables out there. And being able to really address dust collection is one key reason for building one yourself. It may just be me, but some of my most enjoyable shop projects were building shop stuff including my router table.

Mine is probably 10 years old now, built from plans in a magazine using a big green Hitachi router, Woodpecker lift and a Freud fence.

Casey Carr
06-11-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't know if they have it fixed as it's been about 10 years since I got my Jessem router lift, but there's a lip at the edge of the inserts that can catch your stock. The inserts just sit too deep. As you slide stock over the lift, the front edge will catch that lip every time if you're not careful. It does it with all the inserts I have for it and I have always been a bit disappointed with it considering what I paid for it.