PDA

View Full Version : Recent turnings

Rick Gibson
06-09-2015, 1:53 PM
This one will hold more popcorn than the walnut one I did recently 12" diameter and just over 3" deep. From a piece of box elder that Bob Hamilton gave me last summer. The salt and pepper mills are for a neighbour who delivered the walnut logs to me a little over a year ago. Not sure what the lighter wood in the salt mill is. Been laying in the shop for years and was just the right size. Salt and pepper mills are 10" high. Not the best photo's they were taken as an afterthought just before they were delivered. Haven't done much more than pens and bottle stoppers and my design skills are limited to somewhere's between 0 and none. Hopefully that will improve with time.

Doug Herzberg
06-09-2015, 3:53 PM
I think they both look great and wouldn't have known you were new at this form of turning. Thanks for sharing.

daryl moses
06-09-2015, 4:07 PM
I think they look great as well.
I love the shapes of the salt & pepper mills.

Allan Ferguson
06-09-2015, 9:46 PM
Like the mills. A good design. Allan

Barry McFadden
06-11-2015, 8:58 PM
Nice work Rick...I also like the design of the mills.... possibly I can help with the ID of the salt mill wood. Years ago I turned a wine goblet out of European Lacewood. Although it has darkened a bit over the years the pattern running up the center looks to me to be exactly the same as the pattern running up the center of the salt mill... what do you think??

Mark Greenbaum
06-11-2015, 9:16 PM
Blonde wood looks like hard maple to me.

Randy Red Bemont
06-12-2015, 6:51 AM
Nice job on all of them. You do nice work.

Red

Steve Huffman
06-12-2015, 8:46 AM
Yes, great looking turnings here. I like the salt and pepper mills being light and dark as so. Nice work !!

Rick Gibson
06-12-2015, 9:11 AM
Nice work Rick...I also like the design of the mills.... possibly I can help with the ID of the salt mill wood. Years ago I turned a wine goblet out of European Lacewood. Although it has darkened a bit over the years the pattern running up the center looks to me to be exactly the same as the pattern running up the center of the salt mill... what do you think??

Blonde wood looks like hard maple to me.

Won't be lacewood as I have never bought any of it. Maple is a possibility although it didn't turn or seem like it when I turned it. Has to be something that grows locally around here. Possibly sassafras as it does grow locally and I did have some pieces given to me several years ago.

Dennis Ford
06-12-2015, 9:17 AM
Nice work on all of them.
The salt mill might be sycamore, does not look like sassafras to me.

Allan Wright
06-12-2015, 9:18 AM
Any popcorn bowl that will hold a full bag of microwave popcorn has my vote. That one looks like it definitely fits the bill and is a nice shape as well. I also like the figure and finish on the wood.

David Delo
06-12-2015, 9:53 AM
I'd vote maple on the bowl too. Regardless of species, nice big bowl.

Rick Gibson
06-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Nice work on all of them.
The salt mill might be sycamore, does not look like sassafras to me.

Sycamore is a definite possibility I know I had some of that. Oh well it's gone and the woman I gave it to is real happy with the set. Next time she takes down a tree I know there will be more wood coming my way. :)

Rick Gibson
06-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I'd vote maple on the bowl too. Regardless of species, nice big bowl.

The bowl is definitely box elder aka. Manitoba maple.