PDA

View Full Version : Thanks TX WoodCraft for a Great TAT

Craig Fyock
08-14-2005, 12:05 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Keith, Scott, Howard and all the guys at the Addison, TX WoodCraft store for another "GREAT" Tat. :)

There were around 20 lathes (ALl Jet.....Why isnt Jet a sponsor of this project?) set up with a super showing from the Hunt County WoodTuners, Dallas and Golden Triangle Clubs also had representation there. The total turned for the day was roughly 360 pens. There were probably close to 2 dozen first time pens turned. I was lucky enough to instruct approx. 8 first time turners and that was the highlight of my day.

Everyone had a woderful time thanks to the guys at WoodCraft. They feed us cookies, soft drinks and Pizza all day long. There were many door prizes given away via drawings open to all turners (gotta say thanks for the super tool bag I won. I know all the winners were extremely happy with their gifts as well).

What I was most amazed with was that with as many lathes and turners crowding the store and as many customers as there were (WoodCraft Was having a busy day) that everything went extremely smoothly and any and all the turners needs and wishes were happily and quickly fulfilled by the staff. I know these projects are hectic and expensive to put on but I, as well as all those who participated, are greatful to WoodCraft and all its employees for being such great hosts. Hope to See everyone again on Veterans Day.:)

Art Hendrix
08-14-2005, 12:45 AM
We agree with what Craig said. We have been to quite a few Turnathons in the past 1.5 years, and we agree that this one ranks right up there with the best.

We met lots of nice people. There were even a couple of turners there from Baton Rouge, LA! Several people inquired about coming to one of our club meetings.

Of course, the Freedom Pen Project was the star of the day. Everyone, everyone just loves the idea and thanks us for making the pens for the troops.

Thanks, Woodcraft!

Art & Margie Hendrix
Hunt County Woodturners

Craig Fyock
08-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I had to add this. It is an email I just got from Margie Hendrix. I didnt witness this so it was the first I had heard of it and just wanted to share it with you all.

"Good writeup. I forgot to tell about the soldier who just got back from Iraq who is the son of one of the Woodcraft workers. When I saw the pen he made, I took it to him and asked if he got a Freedom pen while he was there. He said "No." I handed him his pen and told him he should keep it. In about 5 minutes he brought it back to me and said he'd rather it go to someone who is over there now.

Margie"

Keith Outten
08-14-2005, 2:09 AM
Thanks to all the Guys and Gals down in Texas for their continued support of the Freedom Pens Project. Our thanks also to the kind and generous folks at the WoodCraft Store who have once again been very kind hosting another Turn-A-Thon and donating their time, supplies and facility to help us say thanks to those who serve and protect America.

"Let Freedon Ring" down in Texas......I wish I could have been there with Ya'll today.

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 3:40 PM
Here are some photos.

#1 Hunt County WoodTurners arrive in force.

#2 Front of store Turners group shot

#3 Middle isle Group shot

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 3:44 PM
Frank Hendrix instructing 2 first time turners

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 3:49 PM
2 of the first time turners I instructed making pen #2

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 3:52 PM
Another first time turner with a great pen

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 3:59 PM
Margie Hendrix instructing a new pen assembler....Hmmmmm isnt that strarting 'em a little young

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 4:01 PM
ANother couple of first time turners

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 4:05 PM
sorry missed the attachment on the last upload...
2-first time turners

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 4:13 PM
We were spread out all over the store

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 4:20 PM
and more of us making chips fly.

Craig Fyock
08-15-2005, 4:27 PM
Upon completion of a great turnathon Howard surveys the remains of the store and quickly conteplates the clean up involved.