PDA

View Full Version : White Elm bowl 13" X 2 3/4"

Leo Van Der Loo
06-09-2015, 1:39 AM
American or White Elm trees of larger size are not very common anymore, and I was happy to be able to get some chunks of a fairly large log to take home one day, this was 9 years ago.

I have turned quite a few pieces from it and finished a bunch over the years, this one has sat since I got the log and rough turned the pieces, it is finished with Polymerized Tung oil, should be a nice fruit bowl or what ever else it could be used for :)

Any and all comments are welcome :).

315341 315342 315343 315344

daryl moses
06-09-2015, 7:49 AM
As usual Leo, very nice!!
And yes, it is the perfect size for a fruit bowl.

Roger Chandler
06-09-2015, 8:36 AM
Pretty Leo.........I like your undercut rim and the way you finished off the bottom.

Doug Ladendorf
06-09-2015, 8:51 AM
Very graceful lines, and I like the undercut rim too. Lovely bowl Leo.

Doug

Brian Kent
06-09-2015, 9:40 AM
Could you tell us how you turned the bottom? What technique do you use to hold it when it is turned around?

Rick Gibson
06-09-2015, 1:09 PM
I like it Leo. Fairly plain grain but on that bowl it looks very nice. You must have a pretty good stash of wood if you can wait 9 years before turning it.

Jeramie Johnson
06-09-2015, 3:44 PM
That is gorgeous. I like it.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-10-2015, 12:08 AM
As usual Leo, very nice!!
And yes, it is the perfect size for a fruit bowl.

Thank you Daryl :), it is quite plain wood and so the shape does have to make it, it is also that what stays when fancy grain has become faded and dull 315432

Leo Van Der Loo
06-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Pretty Leo.........I like your undercut rim and the way you finished off the bottom.

Thanks Roger :), like I told Daryl it is the shape that wins out in the long run, and here even at the start, for the grain hasn’t got a lot going for it.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Very graceful lines, and I like the undercut rim too. Lovely bowl Leo.

Doug

Thank you Doug :), hope it will find a happy new owner soon :D

Leo Van Der Loo
06-10-2015, 12:15 AM
That is gorgeous. I like it.

Thanks for your very kind comment Jeramie :)

Leo Van Der Loo
06-10-2015, 12:29 AM
I like it Leo. Fairly plain grain but on that bowl it looks very nice. You must have a pretty good stash of wood if you can wait 9 years before turning it.

Thanks Rick :), from whereabouts are you in Ontario Rick ?, I lived in London for 40 years, and yes I do have a good number of extra roughouts accumulated besides the ones that got sold that I turned during that time.

Brought them all to Atikokan where I live now, here’s a picture of most of them to be stored away so I could use my new shop.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-11-2015, 1:42 AM
Could you tell us how you turned the bottom? What technique do you use to hold it when it is turned around?

Sorry Brian, took longer to answer your question than was mend to be, it was just too late, as it is again :rolleyes:, but I wanted to assemble a few pictures that show how I usually do it and how I sometimes do it when another manner is called for.

First four pictures show my most often used manner of holding, and as you can see I do sometimes use wedges to tweak the bowls center a little, masking tape will keep the small wedges, larger ones get a screw to hold it, the Oneway Jumbo Jaws have served me well and for quite a few years already, the rubber buttons have a steel inner that gives a solid hold.

Depending the shape of the piece I will hold it on the inside or outside, sometimes either way can be used as in the second and third picture.

315521 315522 315523 315524

The next pictures show that I sometimes need extra assurance and though that has happened only a time or two, a rather badly warped piece could still be held so that I could still center the recess and true that up.

The other one is an optional way to hold a bowl, and I have held very large bowls in this manner, or like in the last picture the piece, I actually glued the bowl to a plywood disk that I later removed.

Like they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat :eek:

315527 315525 315526

nelson lasaosa
06-11-2015, 7:57 AM
Hi Leo. What a way to answer .... it´s a tutorial for many of us learning the trade. Thanks for your kindness and time to post in detail.

Mark Greenbaum
06-11-2015, 8:05 AM
That's a boat load of bowls. Impressive.

Thanks Rick :), from whereabouts are you in Ontario Rick ?, I lived in London for 40 years, and yes I do have a good number of extra roughouts accumulated besides the ones that got sold that I turned during that time.

Brought them all to Atikokan where I live now, here’s a picture of most of them to be stored away so I could use my new shop.

Rick Gibson
06-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Hi Leo, I'm in Bothwell, as you likely know it's about halfway between London and Chatham. Moved here about 11 years ago from Oshawa after I retired completing the circle. Grew up in Dorchester and moved to the east coast in the Air Force then nearly 30 years with OPG in the nuclear plants and back to southern Ont. to retire.

Allan Wright
06-11-2015, 11:03 AM
I particularly like the foot on this bowl, it lightens up the piece and shows off the smooth outer curve well. Impressive work.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-13-2015, 1:42 AM
I particularly like the foot on this bowl, it lightens up the piece and shows off the smooth outer curve well. Impressive work.

Thank you Allen for your comment, it is appreciated :)