PDA

View Full Version : Motor for planer - Non-TEFC OK?

Allan Speers
06-09-2015, 12:24 AM
I'm still looking for a motor for my PM 100 planer, and there are currently a couple of outrageous deals on some surplus Leeson 3 ph motors. (I would use a VFD with one) Problem is, these are open frame.

But I'm wondering - does any sawdust really get into the motor area of a stationary planer? I've never run the thing, so I don't know, but I would think that VERY little dust would ever find it's way down there, esp if you are using a good DC system.

My Delta 14" Bandsaw came with an open frame 2 HP motor, from the factory. I always thought that was odd, but it was a similar setup, with the motor area fairly well isolated. It did collect a little dust, though.

Another factor is that this would be a 3 phase motor, so there's less inside to get clogged.

So.... is this a bad idea?

Dave Cav
06-09-2015, 12:54 AM
Got an air hose? Blow it out every once in a while. There is only one moving part inside a 3 phase motor, the rotor. I wouldnt' worry about it. I have restored a number of old machines and nearly every one, even with TEFC motors, had sawdust inside them. One, an ODP motor on a tenoner, was PACKED with grease and chips. It still ran when I restored it.

Rick Fisher
06-09-2015, 3:43 AM
Open Frame on a planer wouldn't bother me.

Allan Speers
06-09-2015, 5:43 PM
Thanks, guys.

I snagged it. A nos 3 HP Leeson for $80 delivered was hard to pass up. :)

John TenEyck
06-09-2015, 8:25 PM
Great deal. It will be fine. I've had an ODP on my Sears TS for 30 years. I've cleaned it out once or twice - the wiring end was packed - still runs fine.

John

Mac McQuinn
06-09-2015, 8:41 PM
I have a open frame motor on my old Sears (3) wheeled BS and it did indeed die on me one night during a project. There was lots of gummed up wood dust inside, especially around the points. One of the guys here talked me through the cleaning process and once done, I was back in business. Just keep it clean, you shouldn't have any issues
Mac

Howard Pollack
06-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Can you tell us where you found it? I'd sure like one. Thanks. =Howard

Allan Speers
06-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Can you tell us where you found it? I'd sure like one. Thanks. =Howard

Craigslist - local business going under, selling off their spares.

I wonder how many folks pass on good motor because they think TEFC is the only choice? (I sure did.)
Also, this is another good argument for going with a 3PH motor + VFD, vs a 1-PH motor + mag starter.

Howard Pollack
06-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks -Howard