PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

Phil Mueller
06-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Just arrived today and made fast work of smoothing out this small inlay...love this thing. Did some one mention a block plane is a "must have"?

Frederick Skelly
06-09-2015, 6:55 AM
Congratulations! A block was the first plane I bought. Indispensible!

Larry Frank
06-09-2015, 7:12 AM
I can not tell which block plane you have. I have the LN low angle adjustable mouth block plane and it is a very cherished tool. It just works great and "feels" right in your hand. It is one of my most used tool even in a mostly power tool shop.

Phil Mueller
06-09-2015, 7:24 AM
Larry...we think alike...it's the same as yours.
It's clearly one of those "why didn't I get this sooner" tools.
Phil

David Nelson1
06-09-2015, 8:22 AM
Be very careful they like to have friends over and once that starts ............ well it the end of you they take over. Oh another word of wisdom they are like pencils and tape measures they play hide and seek on ya!

lowell holmes
06-09-2015, 8:40 AM
I have my block planes, but I tend to gravitate towards a nice #3 Bailey I have. It does a great job performing chores normally left to a block plane.
I've been lusting for the Wood River #2. It sure looks like a nice plane.

Jim Koepke
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
One of my first new tool purchases was a Stanley 060 low angle block plane. Now there is a whole section of my plane shelves for block planes.

At that time there were only a couple other planes in my shop. Now that is a stroll down memory lane.

jtk

john zulu
06-09-2015, 2:19 PM
I have 3 block planes..... Do I have an addiction?

Stew Denton
06-09-2015, 6:32 PM
John,

It's hard to say if you have an addiction, but I don't think so. It depends. Are you relatively new to woodworking and constantly looking for more block planes, are you a long time woodworker and have suddenly had urges to look up block planes on Ebay or go to garage sales constantly looking for block planes (or any sort of plane period), or have you had the same 3 for 20 years and aren't looking for more? Jim has more than you do, and I had only one for 30 or 40 years and within the last year have caught up to you.

Actually, I wonder how many of us have some sort of addiction.....I don't (but a more reliable source, my wife, says I do).....but I do have to keep reminding myself: "you don't need any more hand saws....you haven't restored anywhere near all of them that you have now.....you only use 1/4th of the ones you have.....you don't have to look for Disston #12s on Ebay and they are too expensive anyway."

Asking on this site is a good move....lots of sympathetic cohorts. A word of advise....don't ask your wife.....she might know and if she is like a lot of wives....she might be honest with you....it could add to feelings of remorse and guilt....maybe.....just a thought. Anyway, best not to bring it up with your wife....best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Phil, nice plane. Yep, I think a block plane is a must have, or darned close.

Stew

Tom M King
06-09-2015, 6:57 PM
You might not even have enough! I have two pairs. The first burgundy pair I bought new 40 years ago. I keep the irons straight across in those- 9-1/2 and 60-1/2 Then I found NOS Blue ones that I couldn't turn down-also 9-1/2 and 60-1/2. I keep cambered irons in those. One stays in a custom block plane pocket in my tool belt depending on what I'm working on.

Frederick Skelly
06-09-2015, 8:15 PM
I have my block planes, but I tend to gravitate towards a nice #3 Bailey I have. It does a great job performing chores normally left to a block plane.
I've been lusting for the Wood River #2. It sure looks like a nice plane.

Hey Lowell - I have a WR #1 and #3. Nice tools. Their #1 is the same size as an LN 102 block plane. Not to tempt you or anything. :)

Fred

bridger berdel
06-10-2015, 12:18 AM

If 3 is a problem then I'd better not mention my dozen or so....

Phil Mueller
06-10-2015, 9:11 AM
You guys are making me nervous. I just received this one block plane, and purchased the jointer off the classifieds. Now that I will have both extremes, it's going to be tough to resist everything in the middle.
Control, Phil, Control.

john zulu
06-10-2015, 11:36 AM
My first plane was the Veritas Std block plane. Built small boxes then got interested more into hand tools and started collecting bigger planes. The need for another block plane came when I was dealing with end grain. Std block plane angle did not cut it. Hence the DX 60 was purchased. As time pass on...... I did more trimming and truing with the block plane when I use Stanley #4 as my basic plane.... The lure of the LN 102 was too great. I succumbed to it..... In a way my work style changed as I learnt more. I still have my LV LAJ but that is more a less reserved for hard bigger stock or truing up longer pieces; 4 feet long. The need for more tools in this case block plane evolved due to my work style. Then again..... I bought the WONDERFUL LV shooting plane. Still use it when shooting end grain becomes a big part of my work piece. If the temptation is too great think of rust. I pretty much have my hand tools rust free.

Jim Koepke
06-10-2015, 11:50 AM
You guys are making me nervous. I just received this one block plane, and purchased the jointer off the classifieds. Now that I will have both extremes, it's going to be tough to resist everything in the middle.
Control, Phil, Control.

Resistance is futile.

Besides it is more fun to find ways to be able to succumb to the desire.

jtk

Phil Mueller
06-10-2015, 12:40 PM
So true. I wonder sometimes if I design projects for looks/use vs what new tools I would need :)
Before I get into more planes I need to get after building a solid planing station for my very small basement work space.
Clamping an old Skil work table to a router table with locked castors is getting old!
But, that's another thread someday.

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2015, 5:23 PM
Control, Phil, Control.

As Jim said "resistance is futile". Now you need a #4. And probably a #5. Then you'll want to fill in the gaps and so you'll get a #3. Then maybe you'll build a small box and "need" a #2 (I found mine for $14 to my amazement). Then just to round out the set you've just "got to" have a #6 (no matter what Patrick Leach says).

It happened to me....
Fred

Stew Denton
06-10-2015, 6:53 PM
Hey Fred,

Don't forget that Christopher Schwarz said pretty good things about the 5 1/2, and also said if you build big projects that you would love the 4 1/2......not to leave anything out.

Stew

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2015, 7:29 PM
Hey Fred,

Don't forget that Christopher Schwarz said pretty good things about the 5 1/2, and also said if you build big projects that you would love the 4 1/2......not to leave anything out.

Stew

Darn, you're right Stew! Looks like I need another plane!