PDA

View Full Version : kitchen cabs and cutlist plus?

John Daugherty
08-13-2005, 11:46 PM
I am thinking about building a set of kitchen cabinets. I am also thinking about buying cutlist plus to do the sheet goods layout. My question is which version should I get? The kitchen will be approximately 10x10 and U-shaped with uppers and lowers all around.

Thanks

Charlie Plesums
08-14-2005, 12:36 AM
If you are going to cut all the cabinets at the same time, then the low-end version of Cut List Plus is probably not going to be adequate. However, I bet you will do a portion at a time, so the starter package should handle it... I do several cabinets at a time in that version without problem, and you can put the larger "scraps" into inventory to be used with the next run.

If you start small, and wish you had the higher versions, you can upgrade at any time for just the difference in price - no penalty for starting small. (At least that is true when you buy on-line at cutlistplus.com)

Matt Meiser
08-14-2005, 11:00 AM
A lot of your sheet good parts will be the same for kitchen cabinets--for example all the base cabinet sides will be the same and all the upper cabinet sides will be the same. Multiple copies of the same part don't count against the limit.

If you need, they let you upgrade by paying the price difference between versions. I went with Silver and have been very happy with it, but I haven't built a kitchen yet.

frank shic
08-14-2005, 11:03 AM
john, i'm currently building my own kitchen cabinets (six uppers and five lowers) and i used cutlistplus - great program! i would HIGHLY recommend buying at the LEAST the silver edition even though it costs $50 more than the light version which i bought. you will go CRAZY trying to subdivide sections of your projects (especially the doors and drawer fronts if you do raised panels like i did!) and keep track of them: section 2, part 3; section 3 part 4; section... if i had to do it over again, i would DEFINITELY purchase the silver version!

if you do get cutlistplus, make sure you set up the stock dimensions early on, otherwise, you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out why your parts aren't making it on to the cutlist. :confused:

John Lucas
08-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I think CutListPlus is a very useful program. Another URL which is free is also great. It is Thomasville details of cabinet specification. Use it with CutListPlus and you have a kitchen.

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/Specifications.asp

John Renzetti
08-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi, I have the Cutlist Plus Silver edition. Works very well and the learning curve is rather short.
take care,
John

Jim Becker
08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I also have the "sliver" level of the program...and it saved me a lot of money when I built the cabinets for my kitchen renovation in 2003. A lot.

Tom Peterson
09-15-2005, 5:57 PM
I have not used it yet, will be buying soon, but the silver addition allows for downloads in a TXT or CSV format. This was appealing since my cabinet list is on a excel spreadsheet part by part.

Andy Hoyt
09-15-2005, 11:29 PM
I've been using the Silver Edition for longer than I can recall - maybe eight or nine years. It's very useful for lots of stuff beyond woodorking too. eg. I used it to do a GWB take off for my shop by telling the software that I had "really big" plywood. The chief pot and bottle washer there at Bridgewood Design is Todd and he's one of the good ones. Very helpful when I've messed up.

Jeff Wright
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I think CutListPlus is a very useful program. Another URL which is free is also great. It is Thomasville details of cabinet specification. Use it with CutListPlus and you have a kitchen.

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/Specifications.asp

Great resource John! Thanks.

Jim Becker
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
The URL has changed at Thomasville: http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/Specifications.aspx