PDA

View Full Version : second batch of 766's shipping?

hu lowery
06-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Just got my e-mail a few minutes ago,6/8/2015 about 10:30PM. My lathe is on the truck and headed my way, estimated to be here Wednesday. Pretty sure I was in the second batch, was thinking I might be all the way in the third since I was well down the order list.

As I suspected my suggestions on packing improvements won't have any affect on my lathe! :D :D :D

Been a day for good news. My doctor's office called and said there was a fair chance I would be looking at this side of the grass for awhile yet and then this message about the lathe shipping. New toy and a few years to enjoy it. Life is good!

Hu

Brian Kent
06-09-2015, 12:29 AM
Great news on all counts!

charlie knighton
06-09-2015, 7:07 AM
enjoy both

Al Launier
06-09-2015, 7:34 AM
Good news indeed!

Belton Garvin
06-09-2015, 7:45 AM
Got my email last night also. Card has been charged. Estimated delivery Friday 6/12. Wasn't expecting it until the end of the month at the earliest. My order date was March 25th.:D:D

Roger Chandler
06-09-2015, 8:28 AM
Congrats Hu and Belton! Once you get this thing up and running and actually see what you have, it will impress you I believe! I just hope there are not as many shipping issues and whatever caused that vibration on the first shipment is absent on the second one.

It could have been what part of the ship the container was in, or rough seas, near the drive line of the ship, or............

Good luck, gentlemen!

Belton...........feel free to join the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] as we have presently 112 members who interact around things related to Grizzly lathes........post some of your work also. Go to the community tab near the top of this page and click on that, then groups, and it will take you there!

Randy Red Bemont
06-09-2015, 8:50 AM
Congrats to all on the second shipment arrival! Great news. Enjoy the new lathe. It is a great machine.

Red

Klaus Waldeck
06-09-2015, 10:41 AM
I just got a post card in the mail yesterday (June 8th) that said they still did not know when my lathe would be available. I ordered my lathe on May 2nd. I might be one of the last folks to get one, at least among the group of folks hanging out in this forum. I don't mind, I can wait.

Belton Garvin
06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Belton...........feel free to join the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] as we have presently 112 members who interact around things related to Grizzly lathes........post some of your work also. Go to the community tab near the top of this page and click on that, then groups, and it will take you there!

Roger. Joined a while back when I ordered the lathe. Hadn't checked in over there as I don't actually own a Grizzly yet. I'll make sure and post some things once I get the lathe up and running. I was following threads over there for a while but have been really busy lately and forgot to check the group.

hu lowery
06-09-2015, 12:16 PM
I just got a post card in the mail yesterday (June 8th) that said they still did not know when my lathe would be available. I ordered my lathe on May 2nd. I might be one of the last folks to get one, at least among the group of folks hanging out in this forum. I don't mind, I can wait.

Klaus,

Could be a good thing. While I don't think there will be major changes you might see a few small tweaks making your machine a little better or making it arrive in a little better condition. You still won't be waiting as long as Roger did! :D

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Had a bit of a health scare so the new toy and good news on the health front does have me excited. Storming this morning to cool my jets a bit, got to run out to the barn/shop and run my 220 line. No big deal, got everything on hand to do it. Just been busy with other things and figured I could just in time it.

hu

Jeramie Johnson
06-09-2015, 3:49 PM
Some people from "the second batch" could be moving up if those who reserved ahead of them, do not have the funds when the card is charged. Just a thought.

I know I was a February order but had to reorder later when my original cc didn't want to "hold" longer than 30 days. Put it on a smaller card, but had to clear it first, so then became an early April orderer.

Izzy Camire
06-09-2015, 4:11 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Had a bit of a health scare so the new toy and good news on the health front does have me excited. Storming this morning to cool my jets a bit, got to run out to the barn/shop and run my 220 line. No big deal, got everything on hand to do it. Just been busy with other things and figured I could just in time it.

hu

Good to hear you are doing well and got good health news. I have been sick the last few months myself and I am finally starting to feel well again so I truly understand how you feel about good health.
Oh ya congrats on the new lathe too. Pretty cool!

david privett
06-13-2015, 9:12 AM
got my g0766 on the 10 th. what a fine running machine , wood beware. Has anyone heard of a bolt-on tool rest for outboard turning or a stand becoming available?

Roger Chandler
06-13-2015, 9:19 AM
got my g0766 on the 10 th. what a fine running machine , wood beware. Has anyone heard of a bolt-on tool rest for outboard turning or a stand becoming available?

David........I posted a thread about a possible bed extension from Grizzly for this purpose.........I recommended that those who wanted for Grizzly to see if they could acquire one for this model to send an email to customer support for this purpose and ask that it be sent up the chain to decision makers..........Link is below.

Congrats on your new G0766......my unit is a kickin' machine!!! :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229185-Stack-the-deck!-G0766-bed-extension&highlight=

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229185-Stack-the-deck!-G0766-bed-extension&highlight=)

Randy Red Bemont
06-13-2015, 9:21 AM
Congrats David. It is a great machine. Enjoy.

Red

Belton Garvin
06-13-2015, 9:37 PM
Disappointment Friday. :mad: Called Thursday and made an appointment for delivery, 2-6pm. Took the afternoon of work and had a friend come over to help. I figured it would be later in the window so I didn't panic. Around 5pm I decide to check the status on line.... Last check is it departed Lexington, Ky at 2:15pm??? 9 and a half hours away. Which means they knew at 9am that it wasn't going to make it here in the delivery window.:eek: Let's just say, they know how I feel about their lack of communications and the fact that I took time off work to be there. They said they would call me by 9am Monday to set up another delivery.

Randy Red Bemont
06-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I would be HOT also. A simple phone call is all it would take on their part.

Red

Roger Chandler
06-13-2015, 10:20 PM
I think you are referring to UPS freight.........once they take possession of the shipment, all logistics are in their hands and not Grizzly. Sometimes these shippers have little regard for what goes on in the lives of their customers......

sorry to hear about the delay.

Belton Garvin
06-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Definitely a UPS problem....not Grizzly. I can think of a few scenarios that it would turn out like this...none of which make me any happier. I figure the local terminal here isn't used to making appointments before they have the shipment in hand....therefore wouldn't even worry/think about about the end user until they have possession of the shipment. I don't think it's much of an excuse, but it's the best I can come up with. Now I probably have to take more time of work to be home for the shipment...just kind of frustrating. I'll get over it.

Jim Sevey
06-14-2015, 1:08 AM
Disappointment Friday. :mad: Called Thursday and made an appointment for delivery, 2-6pm. Took the afternoon of work and had a friend come over to help. I figured it would be later in the window so I didn't panic. Around 5pm I decide to check the status on line.... Last check is it departed Lexington, Ky at 2:15pm??? 9 and a half hours away. Which means they knew at 9am that it wasn't going to make it here in the delivery window.:eek: Let's just say, they know how I feel about their lack of communications and the fact that I took time off work to be there. They said they would call me by 9am Monday to set up another delivery.

What a bummer! Had that happen to me once- same thing....took off work and then no delivery. I think it was a bigger deal because it was a tool- a new bandsaw- I was waiting for and the anticipation level was high. When you get your lathe I hope you have as good an experience as I did. Powerful, smooth, quiet and a major step up from my old lathe. Good luck!

Dennis Collier
06-14-2015, 1:25 PM
Had a similar thing happen with UPS when I ordered my band saw. They made an appointment, I took time off work to accept it and it never showed up. I called and they said it "accidentally" got put on another truck and shipped to a different terminal 3 states away. No one bothered to call me. I too was HOT and UPS got an earful.

Ronald Blue
06-14-2015, 6:27 PM
It's not just UPS rest assured. I had the same experience with SAIA on my Grizzly dust collector. They told me when to expect it and it was being delivered to a business location as well. I called because it was 2 PM and no sign of them. They were no where close and had no intention of making the appointment. This is pretty well how all freight companies operate because we receive a lot of items at another location via YRC. 30 miles from their terminal and they can't make it on the scheduled day. They are very independent and do as they please.So it can and does happen with them all.

Jon Nuckles
06-14-2015, 6:40 PM
I had the same problem with UPS freight on a Grizzly order -- didn't show up and my friend and I wasted an entire day waiting for nothing. That was bad enough, but their attitude made it worse. No apology and no sympathy for the trouble they created.

Dok Yager
06-14-2015, 9:16 PM
Hmm, you guy`s are making me re-think UPS delivery. Perhaps picking mine up whenever it gets here, probably late June. May just be the ticket.

Cary Falk
06-15-2015, 8:29 AM
I will be picking mine up at the terminal when the time comes(2 weeks?) for reasons mentioned.

daryl moses
06-15-2015, 12:10 PM
I will be picking mine up at the terminal when the time comes(2 weeks?) for reasons mentioned.
That's what I did when I purchased my planer, lathe and table saw. I live so far in the boonies and on a narrow road so there is no way a semi could make it out here.
The only problem I've had was with my G0733 lathe, it got "stuck" in Memphis because of an ice storm. Can't blame the freight company for that but I can blame them for "forgetting" to unload it when it arrived at the correct destination.
It all worked out, but was a week late.

Cary Falk
06-15-2015, 12:18 PM
UPS lost my Jet 1642. Woodcraft had to order a second one. I had to wait another 2 weeks.

Belton Garvin
06-16-2015, 9:40 AM
Success! Lathe arrived yesterday. I paid for lift gate service, so the UPS guy put it on the ground and used a pallet jack to place it right in front of my garage. Crating was in great shape, as well as the lathe inside. Didn't have much time but did get it uncrated and an initial inspection. One of the bolts holding the legs to the bed was loose but the other was tight enough that nothing had moved/shifted. Didn't see any obvious paint scuffs. The motor is slightly loose but not as bad as others have mentioned. Should be easy to tighten up.

This thing is a beast! but then again I'm upgrading from a Jet 1220.:) One of the legs weighs more than my entire lathe. Looking forward to completing assembly and giving it a good look over tonight when I get home.

Roger Chandler
06-16-2015, 9:58 AM
Success! Lathe arrived yesterday. I paid for lift gate service, so the UPS guy put it on the ground and used a pallet jack to place it right in front of my garage. Crating was in great shape, as well as the lathe inside. Didn't have much time but did get it uncrated and an initial inspection. One of the bolts holding the legs to the bed was loose but the other was tight enough that nothing had moved/shifted. Didn't see any obvious paint scuffs. The motor is slightly loose but not as bad as others have mentioned. Should be easy to tighten up.

This thing is a beast! but then again I'm upgrading from a Jet 1220.:) One of the legs weighs more than my entire lathe. Looking forward to completing assembly and giving it a good look over tonight when I get home.

Congrats, Belton! Give your unit a good once over, and you should be good to go! My unit is performing superbly, and with the tweaks I made, I have it set up like I want it, and am very happy with my new G0766!

Randy Red Bemont
06-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Great to hear you finally got it. Set up is easy and quick then you can enjoy it!!

Red

Belton Garvin
06-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Got it put together and running last night. There were a couple small paint blemishes but nothing bad. The bolt on the motor that was loose turned out to be the pivot bolt...not a big deal. Took quite a bit of wiping down to get all the shipping oil off. No surprises.

Only real question I have is that the nut for the headstock and tailstock weren't lock-nuts like the banjo. :confused: The parts list shows them all as non-locking....and different part numbers? Should I replace them with lock-nuts?

Roger, I would like a picture of what part/section you filed off the spindle to make the chuck seat better/different. I won't have my 1 1/4 x 8 adapters until Fri/Sat for my chucks.

Mostly pluses for the lathe but here are the cons that I have come up with after assembly: (hint: none of them are a really big deal)

1. Plastic crank handle on tailstock seems weak. I will probably make a nice one for it.
2. No place created to keep knockout rod. My Jet 1220 has a small hole for it near the headstock.
3. Indexing pin is not attached to lathe. Kind of spoiled on this one as my Jet 1220 has a spring loaded one in the headstock. Will probably lose this one. :(
4. Biggest one the everyone else has identified...Tool rest sits too high. Going to buy an additional one anyway.

Roger Chandler
06-17-2015, 2:25 PM
Got it put together and running last night. There were a couple small paint blemishes but nothing bad. The bolt on the motor that was loose turned out to be the pivot bolt...not a big deal. Took quite a bit of wiping down to get all the shipping oil off. No surprises.

Only real question I have is that the nut for the headstock and tailstock weren't lock-nuts like the banjo. :confused: The parts list shows them all as non-locking....and different part numbers? Should I replace them with lock-nuts?

Roger, I would like a picture of what part/section you filed off the spindle to make the chuck seat better/different. I won't have my 1 1/4 x 8 adapters until Fri/Sat for my chucks.

Mostly pluses for the lathe but here are the cons that I have come up with after assembly: (hint: none of them are a really big deal)

1. Plastic crank handle on tailstock seems weak. I will probably make a nice one for it.
2. No place created to keep knockout rod. My Jet 1220 has a small hole for it near the headstock.
3. Indexing pin is not attached to lathe. Kind of spoiled on this one as my Jet 1220 has a spring loaded one in the headstock. Will probably lose this one. :(
4. Biggest one the everyone else has identified...Tool rest sits too high. Going to buy an additional one anyway.

Magnetic parts tray sitting on the top of the headstock is my solution for not losing that pin! When I sold my G0698, I tied the pin to the headstock with a length of strong string......

I am going to make a wooden rack for the knockout rod and bolt it onto the leg underneath the motor......David Roseman did the same for his G0733.

I am currently at a conference and cannot get a pic of the boss to register the chuck adapter on the spindle, but again, it is the raised area behind the threads and recess that allows the set screw to lock down the chuck on the spindle.....David Roseman's post shows the area and gives additional description in an earlier post.

daryl moses
06-17-2015, 3:59 PM
I would hold off filling the spindle until you get your chuck it may or not be needed. I helped a friend assemble his g0766 and his adaptor screwed all the way on.

Roger Chandler
06-17-2015, 5:48 PM
I would hold off filling the spindle until you get your chuck it may or not be needed. I helped a friend assemble his g0766 and his adaptor screwed all the way on.

Dayrl......your friend's experience shows what I have said earlier..........the chuck manufacturers are not consistent in their machining specs. I have 5 Nova chucks......and they were bought at different times. I have found they were not all the same in the adapters inside diameter.

I Think it is not all the lathe manufacturer machining specs...........the chuck manfacturers and the lathe manufacturers need to get their soecs in sync with each other!

Thanks for posting this!

Jeramie Johnson
06-17-2015, 8:34 PM
Yep, second batch is shipping. Mine is in Chicago atm, being loaded on a truck. It left Springfield on Tuesday. Should get a call tomorrow arranging a time for delivery. ;)

Roger Chandler
06-17-2015, 8:46 PM
Yep, second batch is shipping. Mine is in Chicago atm, being loaded on a truck. It left Springfield on Tuesday. Should get a call tomorrow arranging a time for delivery. ;)

Now that's what I like to hear......congrats, Jeramie! :)

Thom Sturgill
06-17-2015, 9:31 PM
My club ordered one after I showed the new President the ad right after it came out. We ordered after the Feb. meeting. The lathe was delivered Monday to the ex-President's shop - he has a front end loader - and the President had it loaded onto his pick up and we set it up at the meeting Tuesday night. Everyone was suitably impressed and we started discussions about chucks etc. The meeting room has 220v and compressed air, we will fabricate an extension cable to hook it up as it is a bit too far from the outlet and the plugs do not match.

I have a 1" drill bit setting on my desk to handle that issue. We are looking at a lift similar to what is made for the powermatic so that we can roll the lathe to move it for demos and set up a committee to fabricate a shield and overhead camera mount.

Roger Chandler
06-17-2015, 11:05 PM
My club ordered one after I showed the new President the ad right after it came out. We ordered after the Feb. meeting. The lathe was delivered Monday to the ex-President's shop - he has a front end loader - and the President had it loaded onto his pick up and we set it up at the meeting Tuesday night. Everyone was suitably impressed and we started discussions about chucks etc. The meeting room has 220v and compressed air, we will fabricate an extension cable to hook it up as it is a bit too far from the outlet and the plugs do not match.

I have a 1" drill bit setting on my desk to handle that issue. We are looking at a lift similar to what is made for the powermatic so that we can roll the lathe to move it for demos and set up a committee to fabricate a shield and overhead camera mount.
Home made lift or a commercial unit, Thom? Lots of possibilities with the setup you are talking about! Was your toolrest too high? Good info on a fix in the previous thread on the toolrest, if you are interested.

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2015, 6:56 AM
Home made lift or a commercial unit, Thom? Lots of possibilities with the setup you are talking about! Was your toolrest too high? Good info on a fix in the previous thread on the toolrest, if you are interested.

Roger, Apparently they are looking at a system very much like the one CSUSA sells for the Jet 1642 and powermatics and are going to talk to the man that makes them as the distance between the 'feet' is critical to the design.

I have an old vacuum generator I may donate or at least lend to the club. WE meet at a college room and I do not have a key so I do not have access to the lathe to make measurements. The connection needs a through pipe for which I can buy the threaded tube used for lamps. Can you get me a length measurement?

Roger Chandler
06-18-2015, 7:44 AM
Roger, Apparently they are looking at a system very much like the one CSUSA sells for the Jet 1642 and powermatics and are going to talk to the man that makes them as the distance between the 'feet' is critical to the design.

I have an old vacuum generator I may donate or at least lend to the club. WE meet at a college room and I do not have a key so I do not have access to the lathe to make measurements. The connection needs a through pipe for which I can buy the threaded tube used for lamps. Can you get me a length measurement?

Thom..........PM sent!

Roger Chandler
06-19-2015, 8:10 PM

Thom........that measurement on the threaded lamp rod for the vacuum system is 16 inches in length. That allows the rotating adapter to seat against the handwheel and extend through the spindle about 1/2 inch on the inboard side......enough to get the other end to start threading and then seal and center the rod in the spindle.

Jeramie Johnson
06-20-2015, 12:01 AM
Mine arrived safely. I am in love.

This was not suppose to hit the warehouse till the 22nd. Very happy Father's Day to me and not a single mark from shipping.

Very easy to assemble.
- I unpacked and moved everything into my garage myself, with nothing more than a pry bar, socket wrench and a dolly.
- I assemble the device myself, except for when I put the headstock on.......I had lovely wife assist with eyeing it up, before I set it down.
- I just need to either wire in a longer cord or create an extension. Eventually I will take the time to run another 220 outlet from my garage subpanel.

No matter how I post my images, the forum rotates them. I even rotated an image, and it rotated back on me. lol

Randy Red Bemont
06-20-2015, 7:27 AM
Glad to hear it all went well. Happy turnings!

Red

James Conrad
06-22-2015, 1:34 PM
FYI: The shipment due in today is now scheduled for the 26th arrival at the warehouse.

Klaus Waldeck
06-22-2015, 4:11 PM
What batch of lathes is this? Second? Third? 25th? Mum's the word on when/if I'll get one so far.

James Conrad
06-22-2015, 4:12 PM
I'm guessing 3rd round.

Cary Falk
06-23-2015, 8:46 AM
FYI: The shipment due in today is now scheduled for the 26th arrival at the warehouse.

From the conversation this morning, the West coast shippment that was due on the 6/24 is now pushed to 7/15. I ordered on 2/4.

Klaus Waldeck
06-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Wait, you ordered on February 4th, and have yet to receive it? I ordered on May 2nd. I guess I'll check back in December.

Belton Garvin
06-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Not sure what order they are being filled. I ordered mine on March 25th and already have mine. I'm guessing some of the earlier orders either didn't clear credit cards when ready or something else happened as far as distribution centers. I'm guessing mine actually came out of the first shipment as mine is serial number 10017.

Still haven't had a chance to actually turn on it.:eek:

Matt Schrum
06-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Wait, you ordered on February 4th, and have yet to receive it? I ordered on May 2nd. I guess I'll check back in December.

I ordered the first week of April and just received mine last week. I'm not quite sure what order things are being fulfilled in or if something else is going on if a 2/4 order hasn't been shipped yet.

Cary Falk
06-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Bellingham apparantly has not recieved their shippment.

Klaus Waldeck
06-23-2015, 11:47 AM
I see, so they're fulfilling orders based on both when you ordered, and where you live. Makes sense. Why ship individual tools across the country when they've got a warehouse that's closer to you. Since I'm in Massachusetts, my order is likely going to be shipped out of their Pennsylvania warehouse. I might get mine from the next shipment they receive there.

Matt Schrum
06-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Fair enough, I know my shipment came out of their Missouri warehouse (and I believe a few other people have indicated the same).

Ralph Lindberg
06-23-2015, 1:40 PM

Interesting, used to be all shipments went to Bellingham first. I wonder when they made that change.

Cary Falk
06-23-2015, 4:58 PM
Interesting, used to be all shipments went to Bellingham first. I wonder when they made that change.

probably shortly after I moved to Washington

Mark Greenbaum
06-23-2015, 7:37 PM
Yesterday I was informed they expect my lathe to arrive at the warehouse on June 22nd, and they're going to reserve it for me until I get into the new house on July 27th. Needless to say, I cannot wait. From the reports of the GOOD machines, I hope mine is likewise as quiet, and solid. If I can afford it I am going to get the Hurricane HTC-125 chuck and the large dovetail jaws, and the right Teknatool adapter for the Nova G3. Keep the reports coming in, and please advise of the tool rest status.

Ralph Lindberg
06-23-2015, 11:22 PM
probably shortly after I moved to Washington

Everything I have (from Grizzly)I just drove there and picked it up. Of course when I bought the Table Saw there was -only- Bellingham.
The day I picked up my ShopFox HEPA air filter I saw a sale flyer sitting out that advertised a lower price, starting the next day. I asked if I could get it at the price today, as I was passing through (work trip) and wouldn't be around for a couple more weeks. They called "upstairs" and an east-indian man in a suit came down and said "let him"
I later saw a photo of the owner.... I figured it was him, and I was right.

Belton Garvin
06-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Picked up some 1 1/4 x 8 inserts for my Nova chucks and got them installed. I did need to file a little off the Lathe spindle for them to fit properly. Took it easy and removed a very small amount, they now fit flush on the spindle. I bought a small Easy Wood Tools (EWT) aluminum faceplate that came with a really thin nylon washer that I will probably use with everything I put on it.

hu lowery
06-26-2015, 8:43 PM
Picked up some 1 1/4 x 8 inserts for my Nova chucks and got them installed. I did need to file a little off the Lathe spindle for them to fit properly. Took it easy and removed a very small amount, they now fit flush on the spindle. I bought a small Easy Wood Tools (EWT) aluminum faceplate that came with a really thin nylon washer that I will probably use with everything I put on it.

That little thin washer quickly stretched and distorted on my lathe so I wasn't getting even pressure between the faceplate and lathe. You might have better luck but watch out for the washer being too weak to be functional. I don't think mine lasted ten hours before it hit the garbage can.

Hu