PDA

View Full Version : Not a woodworking tool, but...

steven c newman
06-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Any ideas out there as to WHAT it is?
On this side, there is a Cat.No. 199-5, a "1/2" , a diamond, and the word IMPERIAL,
On this side: CHICAGO USA with a patent number. 2814225 ( hard to read) This thing has a trick or two
Those two halves are both spring loaded, and act like a ratchet. Just don't get your finger in the way, them springs are strong, and close with a snap!:eek:

This was in the bottom of that old tool box I got over the weekend. Depending on which way you attach this to a bolt or nut, it will ratchet as you tighten or loosen the item.

Any Brand names for this thing? Was there a full line up of sizes? or, just this 1/2" one? :confused:

Alfred Kraemer
06-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Ceftainly seems to be a special purpose tools. Just a wild guess: a tool to turn fittings, e.g. valves, vents, etc.in tight spaces.

Steve Kinnaird
06-09-2015, 12:24 AM
I have one in my toolbox.
It belongs to my son, I will ask him tomorrow what it is used for.

Mike Cozad
06-09-2015, 5:06 AM
Looks like an early ratcheting box end wrench. I found some evidence of sets, but no pics.
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=2814225&id=53254

David Nelson1
06-09-2015, 7:05 AM
Ding ding ding Mike. I had a few of them which I used for tightening tubing to injector pumps or other tight places that an open ended wrench would have trouble. They came as course and fine ratcheting with the course being able to bear a large tq load.

Pat Barry
06-09-2015, 8:15 AM
I think we need to open a special forum focused on weird tools, rust hunts, garage sale specials, antique store treasures, what is it, etc? New postings like the ones you are giving us Steven take awya the focus from important topics such as how flat does the back side of a plane blade need to be? how can I work with a pitted plane sole? whats your preferred method for polishing your secondary back bevel? etc

steven c newman
06-09-2015, 8:38 AM
I think we need to open a special forum focused on weird tools, rust hunts, garage sale specials, antique store treasures, what is it, etc? New postings like the ones you are giving us Steven take awya the focus from important topics such as how flat does the back side of a plane blade need to be? how can I work with a pitted plane sole? whats your preferred method for polishing your secondary back bevel? etc

Hehehehe....you forgot about .."which sharpening stone should i use?" threads....

How about " Have a big pile of brace bits, how do I sharpen them up?"
Hey, Pat, this more like it?

steven c newman
06-09-2015, 8:59 AM
Ok, went and traced the Patent number......one Morley Mann of Lombard, ILL., invented this wrench in 1956. Pat. date is from Nov of 1957. Apparently for use like a flare nut wrench.

lowell holmes
06-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Hehehehe....you forgot about .."which sharpening stone should i use?" threads....

How about " Have a big pile of brace bits, how do I sharpen them up?"
Hey, Pat, this more like it?
Actually, you need an auger file.

Ivan Wolder
06-09-2015, 11:01 AM
It's a line wrench.I have a whole bunch of them,they supposedly make tightening or loosening things like hydraulic lines easier.

Mel Miller
06-09-2015, 12:53 PM
The moderators should close this. It has nothing to do with Neanderthal Haven.

steven c newman
06-09-2015, 1:07 PM
Ah, but it IS a hand tool. Over 60 years old, too.

It is the same as a flare nut wrench, only it has a ratchet action.

However, there are a few hand tools that do need a 1/2" wrench to adjust. Or, do we leave out all them screwdrivers, forge tools, and other shop tools, just to fit a FEW people's narrow difinations? Or, just narrow minded?

Steve Kinnaird
06-09-2015, 1:34 PM
Yes, that is what my son told me. Primarily a plumbers tool

steven c newman
06-09-2015, 1:44 PM
Still made by Imperial nowadays. Mainly for air conditioner work. Tight spots working on lines, comes in handy, I guess.

Leaves out the Neanderthals....they don't use "Modern" things like AC....

Mike Cutler
06-09-2015, 2:15 PM
That is an "antique" Imperial Eastman Instrument Tubing Wrench. It comes in fractional sizes for compression tubing fittings, most notably Swagelok, Cajon, Whitey, and Parker fittings. It breaks in the middle to allow you to install a compression fitting in the middle of a tubing run, and be able to get the wrench off when the fitting is made up.
Nominal tubing sizes are 1/4", which uses a 9/16th wrench. 3/8" which uses an 11/16th wrench, and 1/2" tubing which uses a 7/8ths wrench. Yours would appear to be the wrench for 3/16ths, high pressure sample lines, and to back the 9/16ths, on 1/4" union compression fittings.
A plumber would have little use for the tool. HVAC work, possibly a little. Flare fittings have different nominal tubing size OD's than instrument tubing. It is primarily used by Process Instrumentation Technicians for work on pneumatic and process control systems in industrial environments.
I have many sets at work. That one there though is definitely "a collectors item". It's a beauty!!;)

Stew Denton
06-09-2015, 5:57 PM
Hi All,

Yep, Mike, Mike, and David and the rest said what I was going to add. Swage lock sells them for their tubing compression fittings. We use a lot of Swagelok stuff in our lab, for fairly high pressure set ups, etc., and have some of the wrenches, in fact ones I ordered about 20 years ago or more. They function like a ratchet wrench, and so you can use one where you would use an end wrench, but don't have room to turn the nut very far. We don't use them a lot, but they are nice to have when you really need them. Mostly we use end wrenches, mostly out of force of habit.

Stew

Mike Cutler
06-09-2015, 6:23 PM
Stew

It's ideal application is inside of a tubing tray,where multiple process lines are close together.
Ordinarily, unions in the trays are staggered by a fitting's length, and offset 45 degrees, so the wrench fits nicely behind the nut,between the nut and tray.

steven c newman
06-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Let's see, in that $15 tool box was this wrench, 20 other wrenches of all sizes, 50+ sockets in three different drives. 15 screwdrivers, couple of hammers. Three drive extensions, in 3/4",1/2" and 3/8" drives. Not a single ratchet to be seen. This box must have weighed close to 50 pounds. There were even a few pliers inside. Think I might have got my money's worth?

Also picked up over the weekend sales event: Makita Recipro sawzall( $10) with a chisel and a screw driver thrown in. Picked a Stanley No.923 10in brace. a BIG hand ful of bits. a hammer head and a roofer's hatchet head ( had to go buy a NEW handle for the hammer) a Buck brothers 1/8" sash chisel. A GP 3'' pocket screwdriver, with a rosewood handle. A 1/2drive Thorson ratchet, and some sort of wood handled nail puller. Counting the new handle, maybe $30 for the weekend? Handle was $5.99+tax ( OUCH). Top it off? Bought a pair of tires for the van, in case I get a flat. Cost? $5 for the pair. 225.60.16 I think is the size. No rims, figure i can have the service place just switch them out when I need them.

May just keep that little "Antique" wrench around. Might come in handy someday ( Brake lines?? )

Mike Cutler
06-10-2015, 7:25 AM
Steven

I'd say you definitely got your monies worth. That Buck Bros. chisel, and Stanley Brace are a gloat all by themselves. Well Done!!

No idea if the Tubing wrench will fit a brake line fitting, but at least now you know exactly what it is. Might win you a beer or two in a "name that tool bet". ( Don't play it with a Union Pipe Fitter. ;) )

Mel Miller
06-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Let's see, in that $15 tool box was this wrench, 20 other wrenches of all sizes, 50+ sockets in three different drives. 15 screwdrivers, couple of hammers. Three drive extensions, in 3/4",1/2" and 3/8" drives. Not a single ratchet to be seen. This box must have weighed close to 50 pounds. There were even a few pliers inside. Think I might have got my money's worth?

Also picked up over the weekend sales event: Makita Recipro sawzall( $10) with a chisel and a screw driver thrown in. Picked a Stanley No.923 10in brace. a BIG hand ful of bits. a hammer head and a roofer's hatchet head ( had to go buy a NEW handle for the hammer) a Buck brothers 1/8" sash chisel. A GP 3'' pocket screwdriver, with a rosewood handle. A 1/2drive Thorson ratchet, and some sort of wood handled nail puller. Counting the new handle, maybe $30 for the weekend? Handle was $5.99+tax ( OUCH). Top it off? Bought a pair of tires for the van, in case I get a flat. Cost? $5 for the pair. 225.60.16 I think is the size. No rims, figure i can have the service place just switch them out when I need them.

May just keep that little "Antique" wrench around. Might come in handy someday ( Brake lines?? )

Is there a doctor in the house? I think Newman MAY have pulled something by constantly patting himself on the back. :rolleyes:

steven c newman
06-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Like I said in that one post...."You have been warned.."

Not everyday that 4 towns have community wide garage sales. On the Same days. And to think...I only hit three of those four towns......

Need to find the rest of that wood handled nail puller tool that came with the brace, ratchet, and chisel ( Spent $2.50 for the four items...)
The nail puller is a Bridgeport model. Not sure what else should have been with it....

steven c newman
06-11-2015, 11:00 PM
and, to Mr. Miller. You are more than welcome to tag along on the next Rust Hunt.....who knows, you might even find something you like. ( Not likely, but there is a chance)

There were a couple sales this weekend......but I think I blew my tool allowance for a few weeks. Still sorting and cleaning.....

Maybe next time out, I might find something worth gloating about???

Mel Miller
06-11-2015, 11:22 PM
and, to Mr. Miller. You are more than welcome to tag along on the next Rust Hunt.....who knows, you might even find something you like. ( Not likely, but there is a chance)

Gee whiz, thanks, but I don't buy bottom feeder type tools. ;)
I did buy a nice top of the line Swan drawknife with folding & swivelling handles for $50.

steven c newman
06-12-2015, 7:11 AM
I turned down 4 used draw knives, and they were $10 each. All were just a bit worn from use, though.

Of course, that Stanley No. 5 TYPE 6 might have been a "bottom feeder" tool @ $3.......with sales reciept....March 18, 1899.....

Mike Cutler
06-12-2015, 7:19 AM
Of course, that Stanley No. 5 TYPE 6 might have been a "bottom feeder" tool @ $3.......with sales reciept....March 18, 1899.....

Alright now!! There are shameless gloats and then there's this. Wow, with an 1899 sales receipt, Nice find!!
You do have to post a photo of this, in order to be in full compliance with house rules. ;)

steven c newman
06-12-2015, 8:26 AM
There was a post about this plane: This Rust Hunt had papers
I need a camera with "Macro" to take a picture of the reciept, though...