PDA

View Full Version : New NOVA Precision Midi Chuck

Bart Leetch
08-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Does anyone have one of these chucks?

I just received one from Woodcraft & there are 3 allen screws around the outside. One of these allen screws was installed & the other 2 were not. The parts list only lists 1 allen screw but there are 3 holes & 2 of them are not threaded. :confused: :eek:

Is there anyone here that can that can give me advice accept call the manufacture or Woodcraft. I already E-mailed Teknatool but will probably not hear anything until Monday.

I assume that if I get a tap I could thread the holes & install the allen screws. Its either that or a 1 week trip back to Woodcraft & another week to get back to me. I really don't like that idea.

Thanks, Bart

Doug Jones
08-14-2005, 12:01 AM
I assume that if I get a tap I could thread the holes & install the allen screws. Its either that or a 1 week trip back to Woodcraft & another week to get back to me. I really don't like that idea.

Thanks, Bart
Whether I pay $8 for a tool or $80, I don't expect to have to do some self machining in order to use it. I'd send it back and wait for a proper operating one.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Bart Leetch
08-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Whether I pay $8 for a tool or $80, I don't expect to have to do some self machining in order to use it. I'd send it back and wait for a proper operating one.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Not for taping 2 holes that are already there. If it were something complicated I'd feel the same way. Its not worth the time it would take to repackage it & take it to FedEx Or UPS. By that time I can tap the holes & be using it.

Carole Valentine
08-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Bart, your chuck is normal. Only one of the holes is threaded. No one seems to know what the other two are for. Maybe Teknatool has a good answer by this time.:)

Bart Leetch
08-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Bart, your chuck is normal. Only one of the holes is threaded. No one seems to know what the other two are for. Maybe Teknatool has a good answer by this time.:)

Thanks Carole :D :D :D :)

Andy Howard
08-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I have the same chuck. The three holes are for the "Friction Brake". This lets you adjust the force needed to open and close the chuck jaws. Underneath the screw that is already installed you will find a small fiber disk that acts as the brake pad. As you tighten down on that screw the jaws get harder and harder to close.

As for why they only tap and use one; I dont know! Mine is the same way. I will say that by cranking down on that one screw you can make it darn near impossible to close the chuck. I guess they figured you just dont need the other two (yet, they include 2 more screws and fiber disks in the bag).

I dont think your chuck is defective in any way. I belive if you disasemble the chuck, then you could tap the additional holes if you like. Dont think you could tap it with the chuck assembled, as you would hit another piece of metal before you got the threads cut all the way thru. I guess you could use them as set screws in the event of mounting something and not wanting the chuck jaws to open inadvertently.

Andy

Bart Leetch
08-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks Carole & Andy

I went out this morning & prepared a bowel blank & its on the wood worm ready for after church. :D

The LOML ask in a teasing tone are you abscessed :eek: or what? :D

Carole Valentine
08-14-2005, 11:52 AM
You know, I haven't even tried that woodworm yet. Maybe I should. I just always seem to start out between centers and turn a tenon. Let me know how you like it.

I went out this morning & prepared a bowel blank & its on the wood worm ready for after church. :D

Charlie Plesums
08-14-2005, 12:17 PM
I have the OneWay Talon chuck on my Nova DVR, and use the "woodworm" as the primary way of starting a bowl. A quick hole on the "inside" of the bowl on the drill press, and twist it on the lathe. The chuck's jaws provide a flat reference surface.

I have a couple spacers... disks made of 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch plywood that I use to reduce the depth of the center hole on shallow bowls

Bart Leetch
08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
The Nova Midi is on its way back to Woodcraft a new One way Talon will be arriving from Woodcraft in a week.

I tried turning 2 5" bowels one which the wood wasn't good turning wood real wide open pores nasty to turn & one out of Madrona the will need a little thin CA glue but I think will turn out ok.

I never got to turn the inside of either bowel I just didn't feel safe with the way the chuck wasn't staying tight.

The Nova chuck tried to open up time after time even when turning with the wood worm in the chuck & the tail stock & live center engaged while turning the bottom & tenon. With the above & the clumsy tightening system using 2 little round rods I think that the One Way Talon will serve me better.

The reason I chose the One Way Talon is I have had a chance to use one twice & both time it worked great.

Carole Valentine
08-15-2005, 1:46 PM
Tried to open up? You mean the jaws opened while you were turning? Did you have the set screw adjusted? Never heard of that happening if they were assembled right, but you will like the Talon anyway. I debated between the Talon and the Supernova2, but a sale on the SN2 and the fact that I had a bunch of Nova jaws swayed me. I used it last night and like it.