PDA

View Full Version : A chisel by Muller?

steven c newman
06-08-2015, 2:54 PM
Stamped as MULLER 22? 7/8" wide chisel came in the mail today...
BIG, old handle. The top ferrel needed an extra dimple to tighten it up
So a nail set, the smallest one I had, and a hammer to tighten things up. There was two bevels out on the end of the blade. WAS.
Anyone hear of a company name of Muller?

Been a busy weekend for chisels...
Top to bottom
Free yard sale 1/2" "JAPAN"
Re-handled FULTON 1/2" (ebay)
Buck Brothers 1/8" Sash chisel, from a pile of tools from a $2 sale
Muller 22, 7/8" wide chisel.

Might find some use for these....:D

Kees Heiden
06-08-2015, 3:23 PM
Sounds like a German name. On http://www.alte-beitel.de/hersteller_d.html you can find 5 chisel makers with the name Muller. (With double points over the u).

Phil Mueller
06-08-2015, 4:27 PM
Hey, I think that belings to my great-great grandfather from the old country!
Well, maybe not. As I understand it, Muller with an umlaut over the "u" was the original spelling of my last name. The umlaut indicated a modified pronunciation of the vowel. As such, pronunciation was varied including Muel, Mill, and Mull followed by the "er"
When these folks passed through Ellis Island, the umlaut was dropped and changed to Mueller, Miller, or Muller, depending on how it was pronounced (or understood) at check in.

Interesting enough, is that many today who spell there name Mueller, pronounce it any of the above ways: Mueller, Miller, Muller. Go figure.

I've always hoped to be an heir to the spaghetti or even sprinkler business, but no luck. Maybe a chisel company?
Phil

Bill Houghton
06-09-2015, 2:09 PM
Hey, I think that belings to my great-great grandfather from the old country!
Well, maybe not. As I understand it, Muller with an umlaut over the "u" was the original spelling of my last name. The umlaut indicated a modified pronunciation of the vowel. As such, pronunciation was varied including Muel, Mill, and Mull followed by the "er"
When these folks passed through Ellis Island, the umlaut was dropped and changed to Mueller, Miller, or Muller, depending on how it was pronounced (or understood) at check in.

Interesting enough, is that many today who spell there name Mueller, pronounce it any of the above ways: Mueller, Miller, Muller. Go figure.

I've always hoped to be an heir to the spaghetti or even sprinkler business, but no luck. Maybe a chisel company?
Phil

Another driver for the pronunciation may stem from World War II. Anything German was quite unpopular in the United States, and some, maybe many, German-heritage families changed the pronunciation of their Germanic surname to a more English sound, to blend in.

steven c newman
06-09-2015, 2:37 PM
Now being sold by puegeot....

Jim Koepke
06-10-2015, 2:45 AM
By any chance is the 22 for millimeters?

jtk

Kees Heiden
06-10-2015, 3:37 AM
Yes, 22 mm is about 7/8".

Phil Mueller
06-10-2015, 9:15 AM
Good point, Bill, May well have been the reason for non-German sounding pronunciations today.

Jim Koepke
06-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Another driver for the pronunciation may stem from World War II. Anything German was quite unpopular in the United States, and some, maybe many, German-heritage families changed the pronunciation of their Germanic surname to a more English sound, to blend in.

During the war some changed the name of Sour Kraut to Liberty Cabbage.

jtk

Bill Houghton
06-11-2015, 10:04 AM
During the war some changed the name of Sauerkraut to Liberty Cabbage.

jtk
Fixed it for ya. Word translates as "sour cabbage."

Jim Koepke
06-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Fixed it for ya. Word translates as "sour cabbage."

Thanks Bill. My spelling is bad enough when it comes to American English. When it gets to other languages all bets are off.

jtk

Kees Heiden
06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Hmmm, Sauerkraut. With some Bratwurst and a pint of Weizenbier please.