PDA

View Full Version : John Townsend Newport Display

Roy Wall
08-13-2005, 11:03 PM
This was a beautiful collection........unbelievable!!!!!! I'm not really a big fan of the 18th Century look..........but this is pretty awesome work. Joinery, carving, fit & finish............as good as it gets..........

I totally apologize for the photography.........no flash allowed, no tripod allowed, hand-held in low light....and I had my daughters 3.2 mp point n shoot. Handy - but not my Canon EOS 10d by any stretch of the imagination......As a matter of fact - probably no pictures allowed:eek: :eek: !!!!

THe exhibit runs thru mid September at the MET Museum of Art in Manhattan... I had about 10 minutes to look at this exhibit.........could have stayed all day!!

Roy Wall
08-13-2005, 11:08 PM
second set of pics......This small chest in the display is magnificent!!!! Probably 15" deep and case joined with 15-25 tiny little dovetails per corner........no gaps.....perfect. This things 220+ years old????:eek: :)

Hank Knight
08-14-2005, 7:46 AM
Roy, thanks for posting the photos. I went to Winterthur last month and took their "Furniture Focus" tour. I wanted to see all of their Townsend and Goddard stuff, but it was all at the MET show! The tour was fabulous nonetheless. LOML and I were the only two signed up for it, so we had a tour guide all to ourselves for 3 hours. We got to see it all - up close and personal. Our guide was very knowledgeable, and once she figured out what we were interested in, she tailored the tour to suit our tastes. Winterthur has a huge collection. I highly recommned seeing it.

Alan Turner
08-14-2005, 8:52 PM
Thanks, Roy. I have no excuse for not going since I am but 90 miles away.

Roy Wall
08-14-2005, 9:50 PM

I know your busy......but if you could get away for one afternoon and stay for a few hours you'd love it. Your skills in making the Newport Knee-hold desk are certainly equal - I can see why you love the challenge so much.

Great stuff!!!

Jim Becker
08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Alan...it's only a little choo-choo ride to view the pieces and the added bonus of visiting with Joel at Tools for Working Wood while you're in the city. ;)

Roy, thanks for posting these pics...awesome pieces.

Roy Wall
08-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Alan...it's only a little choo-choo ride to view the pieces and the added bonus of visiting with Joel at Tools for Working Wood while you're in the city. ;)

Roy, thanks for posting these pics...awesome pieces.

Jim, I visited Joel on a Monday when I was in NYC...it was then he told me about the Townsend Display @ the MET!!!! I'm glad I went to Joel on Monday..otherwise, when I was back from Vermont for one day (Thursday in Manhattan)...I would have missed out !!

Joel was great...I tested those heavy duty Ray Isles Mortise chisels and they are great...also the Adria saws....some planes, etc... good time!!! He has a little warehouse on the 5th floor in Midtown Manhattan....

James Mittlefehldt
08-15-2005, 5:18 PM
Roy, thanks for posting the photos. I went to Winterthur last month and took their "Furniture Focus" tour. I wanted to see all of their Townsend and Goddard stuff, but it was all at the MET show! The tour was fabulous nonetheless. LOML and I were the only two signed up for it, so we had a tour guide all to ourselves for 3 hours. We got to see it all - up close and personal. Our guide was very knowledgeable, and once she figured out what we were interested in, she tailored the tour to suit our tastes. Winterthur has a huge collection. I highly recommned seeing it.

That sounds fantastic Hank, I have to ask how close did you get to the Dominy workshop, that is something I really want to see someday.

Roy Wall
08-15-2005, 5:54 PM
I somehow forgot this dovetail shot......:eek:

Martin Shupe
08-15-2005, 6:42 PM
I somehow forgot this dovetail shot......:eek:

Thanks for posting all the pics, Roy. New York is not on my schedule anytime soon, but it looks like you showed us most of the exhibit anyway.

Not quite the same as being there in person, but almost as good.

Thanks again,

Brent Smith
08-15-2005, 9:29 PM
Roy,

Some really nice pics there. Really mind boggling what some craftsmen are capable of. BTW, between this and the other museum post, I've pretty much decided who my next travel agent going to be. So if you can get some sort of itinerary together for me............................

Brent

Christopher Pine
08-16-2005, 5:37 PM

90 miles!!! That could run in the 100's of dallors in Gas! :) :)

Hank Knight
08-17-2005, 9:54 AM
That sounds fantastic Hank, I have to ask how close did you get to the Dominy workshop, that is something I really want to see someday.

James, I didn't get inside the Dominy workshop, but it's set up so you can see in from two sides: the front and one end. Viewing from the end gives you a look down one of the workbenches and the plane rack and an up-close of the lathes. The front has two windows that give you a good view of both ends of the shop. I wanted to get my hands on the stuff in the worst way! If you get near Wilmington, you really should see Winterthur.

James Mittlefehldt
08-19-2005, 5:36 AM
Thanks Hank, it has always been on my list of to do things if and when I ever get to that part of the world. I have been fascinated by the Dominy shop ever since I saw the pictures of it in one of the Taunton press books.