PDA

View Full Version : Lamination Reeds vs Chalice. Who will win?

Brian Kent
06-08-2015, 11:00 AM
I wanted to see what the patterns would look like if I added curved laminations through a blank and then turned a chalice. The chalice is birch. The block is beech, but with the same pattern of lamination.

I was spurred on by David Delo to try this pattern (used to make a reed pattern on a plate) for a chalice.

David Delo
06-08-2015, 3:20 PM
Brian, Not sure if those are 3 different chalices or 3 different views of the same chalice. (I think it 3 pieces) If so, I like the 1st one big time. Not so much the 2nd one and the 3rd one is pretty cool too. Guess my taste goes more for difference in the amount of contrast between the different colors. I like the step in the base but undecided about the detail you put near the bottom of the cup. Anywhooo.......very nice job indeed. Certainly a Top 3 for the day winner.

Roger Chandler
06-08-2015, 3:36 PM
I really like the way you are experimenting with these laminated forms, Brian! Kudos!

Brian Kent
06-08-2015, 5:17 PM
Brian, Not sure if those are 3 different chalices or 3 different views of the same chalice. (I think it 3 pieces) If so, I like the 1st one big time. Not so much the 2nd one and the 3rd one is pretty cool too. Guess my taste goes more for difference in the amount of contrast between the different colors. I like the step in the base but undecided about the detail you put near the bottom of the cup. Anywhooo.......very nice job indeed. Certainly a Top 3 for the day winner.

David, these are three different views of the same cup. Various kinds of wood just to compare how well the contrasts work.
Could you describe what detail you like and don't? One is a slight undercut on the very bottom. The other is the step-ring about 1/2" from the bottom.

David Delo
06-08-2015, 6:26 PM
David, these are three different views of the same cup. Various kinds of wood just to compare how well the contrasts work.
Could you describe what detail you like and don't? One is a slight undercut on the very bottom. The other is the step-ring about 1/2" from the bottom.

Brian,

Guess it's the step ring......kind of interrupts the flow of the curve from the cup portion to the stem for me. But hey, that's only my just past beginner status opinion. It's a very creative piece.

Brian Kent
06-08-2015, 6:54 PM
Got it. Thank you.

Thom Sturgill
06-08-2015, 8:47 PM
Th etwo sets of curves are not identical. I like the more wide red filler and the geometric shapes generated. Would be nice if all the same. I also like the narrow vanes the exit the top, again would be better if they all did. The effect of the wide vane reminds me if the Celic knot glue ups.

Reed Gray
06-09-2015, 1:18 AM
Brian, I think you are having too much fun..... Keep it up!

robo hippy

Brian Kent
06-09-2015, 9:35 AM
You are right, Robo. Many times recently I have thought, "Am I really allowed to have this much fun"?

After I get to what I am aiming at, I'll go for repetition and get my mind and hands in a pattern.