PDA

View Full Version : My first month with a Laser

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
06-08-2015, 9:40 AM
And really no problems or issues of any kind. Actually, the learning curve was much less than advertised. I think learning a new RIP for a wide format printer is more difficult. Trotec software seems very intuitive to me, I suppose I've had to look at the manual two or three times in the past month. Exhaust blower with 3hp and speed control seems perfect for my use. We're cutting / engraving matboard and we'll have the exhaust about 1/2 speed. Leather and wood at high speed.

For me, Corel Draw is the weak link. But only because we use Illustrator. I'm sure if I was forced to learn CD it would be perfectly fine. Now that we understand tracing and the Pathfinder tools, I guess we can do most anything we need to.

Like most new laser owners, I've wasted the first month burning everything I can get my hands on. I've discovered each color of matboard works differently. Some engraves very nicely, some very poorly. Wood is very cool and we've been making mancave signs, wooden magnets, Christmas tree ornaments and other stuff. Leather is the most fun of all. Looks like we'll be doing a lot of leather products. Been doing a lot of experimenting on finishing leather before we engrave it. Biggest problem with leather is cleaning it after you engrave it. I told the guys at the leather store I just rinse it off under running water, while scrubbing it with a toothbrush. I guess that's a sin in the leather business, they were horrified, lol.

I mentioned earlier that I placed the machine in my retail store. This has worked out very well. A lot of guys are fascinated to watch it work and study the prototypes and products we're working on. When several guys an hour ask if a certain leather patch is for sale, at least we know we'll need to get licensed to sell that patch.

So, as you can tell, I'm a happy camper with the Trotec. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to buy one.

Bob

Mike Null
06-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Gee, I wonder what that patch might be.;)

I usually put Johnson's floor wax on the leather prior to engraving then clean with a diluted cleaner like Mr. Clean daubing up the area.

If it's not a smooth finish I just use the cleaner as indicated with no wax.

Bert Kemp
06-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Bob if your using veg tan leather ,dye it first and then give it 2 coats of leather sheen, then engrave and cut, and the residue will wipe right off with a damp sponge. easy pezz

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
06-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Some pictures, take it easy, we're just beginners.....

Leather patch.

Wood Christmas ornament.

Wood mancave sign, not finished.

Logo etched into matboard. Forgive the fingerprints on the glass. We will be doing these mats and similar for the group pictures we take during the Rally and other events.

Bert Kemp
06-08-2015, 2:18 PM
Outstanding Bob nice work for a newbie:)

Keith Winter
06-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Those look outstanding Bob. You mentioned illustrator, you can use that with your Trotec we use it all day with ours. We don't even own a copy of corel draw anymore.

Mike Null
06-09-2015, 8:06 AM
Very nice job on the art. I particularly like the photo mat.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
06-09-2015, 1:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and good comments. I enjoy seeing pictures of laser projects on here. I wish we had fewer bad tubes and more photos, lol.

Bob