PDA

View Full Version : Shaper dust discharge

james klein
06-07-2015, 6:18 PM
Anyone know any tricks for minimizing or catching the dust that shoots in the infeed direction at to high a velocity to be drawn into the dust collector? This occurs predominatly with panel raisers and large cutters.

Peter Quinn
06-07-2015, 9:29 PM
It helps if the panel hood extends beyond the diameter of the cutter and is just high enough above the table to let the stock pass. I've had good success with a shop made fence that also minimizes the opening at the spindle which helps for narrow panels, and the hood portion of which extends over the cutter head about 1". Its a design taken from Lonnie Byrds old shaper book, I've heard the book called obsolete, but I think there are lots of good tips in there, and the panel hood has very good capture. You could probably modify the idea to work with a fence plate that attaches to the stock hood with a shroud that projects out past the cutter to increase capture. I've done something similar when raising MDF panels, works pretty well.

Check out this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?16388-Picture-of-new-shaper-question-about-cutters) post, post number 3 for a good picture of the concept.

Steve Jenkins
06-07-2015, 11:23 PM
If the panel hood covers the cutter add a piece of brush flashing to the right side of it. The panel will push through the brush and the chips and dust will be directed into the dust pickup.

james klein
06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
That's clever with the brush flashing. Looks like I need to improve my hood a bit first. Thanks guys !