PDA

View Full Version : delta shaper

karl credeur
06-07-2015, 3:32 PM
Im looking at purchasing a used delta x5 3 hp shaper virtually. New includes 3 freud cutters never used . Wants 900. Question is do i need a shaper that size. , just a home hobbist here

Peter Quinn
06-07-2015, 9:44 PM
Do you own a table saw? I've heard lots of guys with cabinet saws say they do just fine with a router table...thats like mounting a skill saw to the bottom of a piece of plywood and saying you don't need a table saw, you're all set! I'm a shaper guy....if you work wood, you need a shaper. And if not that big then bigger.:rolleyes: Ok, its not the common wisdom.....but honestly at this point if I had to give up either table saw or shaper, the table saw would go, I could survive it, losing the shaper would cripple my work flow. Its hard to understand what you are missing if you haven't used one.

Mike Cutler
06-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Karl

Yes, you do. You may not need it next week, or next month, but someday you will need it.
I waited for a few years to find a 3 hp Delta Shaper, that had all the parts and was in working order. Many, or most, were missing one thing or the other.
If that shaper has all of the spindles, fence, knobs,wings, etc, and the cutter sets are new, I don't see you going wrong here. The cutter sets alone could be worth more than 1/3 of what is being asked, depending on which sets they are.

Bottom line is that you want to buy this machine, even if it's a post American Made model.

Brian W Smith
06-08-2015, 6:05 AM
Not going to get into the "either or"......that's for each shop to decide.I will say that the monies we make,or save(look at it however you want)by taking "drops" that would end up in the furnace.......and turning them into *proper moulds,can pretty much pay for a 3HP shaper.The tooling(%) is covered by the customer or we don't mill it.

The "issue" with shapers and there's other equipment in the shop that espouses this,is the trajectory of your investment.An example of the opposite is a TS,you need someplace to plug it in and a good blade.Shapers are so much more complex(in a wonderful way)that the tooling inventory usually gets built over a much longer period(trajectory).They usually aren't a,plunk down your money and forget about it.So,when folks look at them thinking they need a bunch of "stuff" just to get started,the sticker shock hits them.We have one shaper that's never had a powerfeed bolted to it?And NOT because we don't have one available,it's used for specific chores(and paying it's way handsomely) that don't require one.

*Proper......the correct profiles in the correct species which are not available over the counter.

lowell holmes
06-08-2015, 6:18 AM
I have an old Delta shaper. It is a 1970's model. I've made cabinet and entrance doors with it. It is a manual feed and it is the most terrifying power tool in my shop.
Be sure you use hearing and eye protection.

Of course, I think a router is terrifying as well.

David Nelson1
06-08-2015, 6:42 AM
Im looking at purchasing a used delta x5 3 hp shaper virtually. New includes 3 freud cutters never used . Wants 900. Question is do i need a shaper that size. , just a home hobbist here

Make sure it has a 1" spindle better yet a 1 1/4. If it only has 1/2 or 3/4 You might wanna keep looking or at least I would. BTW your still going to want a router table for a few things that require less hp say running a small round over bit or spiral grove cutter for quick examples.

Rod Sheridan
06-08-2015, 8:55 AM

That's not a large shaper for home use.

It's the correct size to be useful, I suggest you grab it. The other item you should get is a 3 wheel feeder in the 1/2 HP range.

I use my shaper a lot, would never consider trading it for a router table.......Regards, Rod.

Jesse Busenitz
06-08-2015, 9:24 AM
Yes you NEED it.

David Nelson1
06-08-2015, 9:50 AM
I use my shaper a lot, would never consider trading it for a router table.......Regards, Rod.

Neither would I!!