PDA

View Full Version : What size tinners rivet to use on a latteral adjuster

Joe Tilson
06-07-2015, 2:08 PM
I have a couple of lateral adjusters which are loose and would like to know what size tinners rivets you folks use when replacing them.
I have heard of using 3#, but would like some input.
Thank you,

Bill Houghton
06-07-2015, 4:22 PM
Do you have a set of drill bits? Push bits through until you find the optimal fit, then look up rivet specs online. Or, simpler, if you're buying your rivets at the hardware store, take along the frog and lever and find a rivet that fits. If you get a choice, go for the rivet that's a free fit in the lever and a push fit in the frog.

Be darned careful when you're setting that rivet - the cast iron on the frog there's kind of thin. I will confess to having used pop rivets there for that reason.

Eric Brown
06-07-2015, 4:43 PM
Another source is: http://www.mcmaster.com/#domed-head-rivets/=xivqww

Jim Koepke
06-07-2015, 5:39 PM
There is one loose lateral lever in my spare parts. The pin/rivet in it measured out at 0.151" on my dial caliper and 0.1505 on my micrometer.

Be careful for what you wish. It is possible to make the lever too tight. If it isn't falling out it shouldn't be a problem.

Here is something about removing the lever and doing other things to the frog:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer&p=1156007#post1156007.

jtk

Joe Tilson
06-07-2015, 8:19 PM
Bill, Eric & Jim,
Thanks for the info. I had wondered if pop rivets might work.
I happen to have a #30 bit that works great for a 1/8" pop rivet,
because it's just slightly over sized and shouldn't cause a problem.
Jim, I have read that thread many times. Great info!

Kees Heiden
06-08-2015, 1:06 AM
When the lever is too loose for your taste you can easilly tap it tighter with a hammer on a corner of a steel vise. I just did that on two planes they went from wobbly to a nice smooth feel.

Jim Koepke
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
When the lever is too loose for your taste you can easilly tap it tighter with a hammer on a corner of a steel vise. I just did that on two planes they went from wobbly to a nice smooth feel.

+1 on this though my set up is a little different.

My suggestion is to check every few hammer taps. It is easy to go too far.

(you can likely figure how I know this.)

jtk