PDA

View Full Version : Mystery tool?

steven c newman
06-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Maybe. In the midst of all that rust hunting, found a strange little screwdriver
Well, first off, that happens to be the longest #2 Phillips tip I have ever seen. 8" long!

Ok, back to that wee one. Rumour has it that it is a Goodell Pratt 3" screwdriver. For slotted head screws. Even has a bit of knurling on the shaft. Doubt it that is original, might be by Visegrip Jaws.

Little metal band is Brass, has quite a bit of letters stamped into it,too. Any ideas on this little fellow?

The other two came from a tool box I picked up (barely, as it was FULL) For some reason, I happen to like that style. Will add them to my growing collection.....
The little one ( GP?) came from a pile of old plumbers tools
These are the best of the bunch. He also had a 16oz hammer head, and a hatchet head. Bits, screwdriver and the two heads cost me $2.

So, anybody ever see a little driver like that? :confused:

steven c newman
06-07-2015, 8:38 PM
Rumour Control says that the wee screwdriver is a Goodell Pratt No. 278, Rosewood handled Pocket Screwdriver. Still waiting on the vinegar soak to finish on the bits, before I try to find out what they are...

There was a pair of needle nose pliers in the tool box. 6" pair, without a wire cutter. Made/sold by H. Boker, USA 5386-6

About half the bits will need the cutting spurs redone....The one odd ball bit is a 1/4" bit.

Lonnie Gallaher
06-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Steven,

I had to comment. I have a H. Boker, 5336-6. It is configured like needle nose, except that the nose is wide and flat instead of pointed. It also has a wire cutter. Nice pliers. I have had them for over 40 years and they were old when I got them. Enjoy.

steven c newman
06-08-2015, 1:12 AM
This is mine, after a clean up was done to it..
Along with a pair of Diagonal cutters. Needle nose was in that black plastic tool box. Still working on cleaning up the rest of that box's contents...

Bill Houghton
06-08-2015, 1:40 PM
Steven,

I had to comment. I have a H. Boker, 5336-6. It is configured like needle nose, except that the nose is wide and flat instead of pointed. It also has a wire cutter. Nice pliers. I have had them for over 40 years and they were old when I got them. Enjoy.
That plier design is commonly called "duck bill," for obvious reasons when you look at one. I used to wonder why they were made until I owned a pair. Needle nose pliers tend to twist when you use them for, say, twisting wires. Duck bills won't.