PDA

View Full Version : New router with media server..

Chuck Wintle
06-07-2015, 6:31 AM
I just got a new router, Asus RT-N56U, that will work as a wireless media server media server. At my television i have a roku device. Wireless connection to the router is good but there seems to be no way to see the media files...only the channel selections programmed into the roku. What do i need to have my media files available on the television?

Jim Matthews
06-07-2015, 6:45 AM
Roku is techy about which media server it will tolerate.

"Windows Media Player, Plex, Twonky, and Tversity. Roku does not offer a media server specifically for this app.The following media formats are supported:
Video - MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264)
Music - AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV (PCM), FLAC
Photo - JPEG, PNG, GIF
Setup is very easy if you already have a media server installed on your computer - or if you have a Roku with a USB port. The app quickly found my USB drive, my PlayOn server, and my Windows Media Player. From there, simply select the server and the file type and the app will scan for available directories and files from which you can browse and select media. If you have the PlayOn server installed on your computer, the app will give you access to all PlayOn media."

http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/roku-media-player

Chuck Wintle
06-07-2015, 7:12 AM
Roku is techy about which media server it will tolerate.

"Windows Media Player, Plex, Twonky, and Tversity. Roku does not offer a media server specifically for this app.The following media formats are supported:
Video - MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264)
Music - AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV (PCM), FLAC
Photo - JPEG, PNG, GIF
Setup is very easy if you already have a media server installed on your computer - or if you have a Roku with a USB port. The app quickly found my USB drive, my PlayOn server, and my Windows Media Player. From there, simply select the server and the file type and the app will scan for available directories and files from which you can browse and select media. If you have the PlayOn server installed on your computer, the app will give you access to all PlayOn media."

http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/roku-media-player

Jim A big thank you to you. Was able to navigate to my media server and its all working now.

Jim Matthews
06-07-2015, 3:47 PM
Something I said worked?

I'm announcing my retirement...

Bill Orbine
06-08-2015, 6:17 AM
Does the Asus router take 1/2" shank bits???? :D

Bradley Gray
06-08-2015, 7:38 AM
only megabits

Chuck Wintle
06-09-2015, 6:25 AM
Does the Asus router take 1/2" shank bits???? :D

Bill,

After i discovered to my dismay that there was no place on the "router" to accept 1/2 inch bits it will now be used only as a computer router.