PDA

View Full Version : WoodRiver Small Dust Collection Cyclone System

Reinis Kanders
06-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Is it any good? Form factor wood work better for my application instead of the dust deputy which sits on the top of the bucket.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/158525/WoodRiver-Small-Dust-Collection-Cyclone-System.aspx

Art Mann
06-06-2015, 11:14 PM
I don't have the Woodcraft brand but I do have the one sold by Rockler. I could tell you truthfully that it (and probably the Woodcraft equivalent) will capture 95% of the waste material that is sucked into it but that would be misleading. It is what happens with the other 5% that matters. It goes straight to the filter where it stops up the air flow almost as fast as if there were no separator at all. I also own the Dust Deputy and it separates the fine dust better which keeps the filter working longer and probably dumps less unhealthy dust into the work spacel. I am considering discarding the lid on the "Dust Right" so I can use the nice little Rockler canister with the Dust Deputy. Dumping a canister is not a big deal for me regardless of whether it is the separator one or the shop vac one. It is the frequent filter clean or replace job that bothers me.

If all you want to do is dump your wood refuse from a nice canister rather than the shop vacuum canister, then it works okay.

paul cottingham
06-07-2015, 1:09 AM
2 words. Dust Deputy. It will work much better, and scrub much less.

Roger Pozzi
06-07-2015, 7:03 AM
I have to agree with Art. I also have the Rockler Dust Right and, although it does catch a lot, it also leaves a lot to be desired. I've been thinking of replacing the top with a Thien separator, or, just trying the Dust Deputy which seems to also have great reviews.
The Rockler reviews are, in my opinion, skewed.

Paul Wunder
06-07-2015, 7:28 AM
I have the Clearvue CV06 mini-cyclone now for about two years. It is used primarily for portable sanders and occasionally for my Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander. The Clearvue CV06 is connected to a Ridgid 12 gallon shop Vac

I have emptied the cyclone bucket many times in that period and always check for dust that made it to the vac. Nothing but a few specks has passed to the vacuum in over two years of use.

I also have a Clearvue CV1800 for my stationary tools. Same story: no dust passes to the cleanouts

michael nicholson
06-07-2015, 9:18 AM
I bought it on sale when it came out. It seems to work fine (don't have anything to compare it to). I can't say about what gets thru it as i use the shop vac to clean car, etc. Main tools it's used on are table saw, bandsaw and ridgid spindle sander. Only complaint would be it tips over easy if I hit it.

John McClanahan
06-07-2015, 9:39 AM
The Dust Deputy will remove more dust from the air, before the vacuum filter.

John

Reinis Kanders
06-07-2015, 1:11 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

Curt Harms
06-08-2015, 7:05 AM
Another lesser known option - http://cycloneseparator.com/store/product/cyclone-separator-for-use-with-large-shop-vacs. I don't have one but reviews on the guy's larger cyclones are pretty good. $89, more $ than Oneida's molded dust deputy but metal instead of plastic.

Robert Delhommer Sr
06-08-2015, 7:15 AM
IMHO it would not be as effective as a Thien style separator or a Dust Deputy.

James Gunning
06-09-2015, 3:25 PM
Oneida makes a steel version of the Dust Deputy. Cost is $129.00

Even though Wood River calls it's product a cyclone, it is not. It functions similar to a true cyclone, but nowhere near as well. I tried one long ago, and it just passed most of the fine dust through to clog up my filter. Any of the cone shaped cyclones would work much better.