PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0766 Video - Motor Noise

James Conrad
06-06-2015, 6:00 PM
While running it through it's paces I wouldn't call this a whisper quiet motor. Getting quite a bit of whine and what sounds like possible bearing rattle. I'm on the lower setting, stopping about every 100rpm, everything you hear is coming from the motor, there is no other background noise other than the VFD fan.

How does this compare to yours?
https://vimeo.com/129988889

https://vimeo.com/129988889

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 6:18 PM
I think you are hearing the inverter/fan,........... and you likely need to check to see if your belt is lining up and your pulleys are tight on the shafts with the grub screws.........sounds more like something is rubbing on the casting somewhere than a bearing to me.........

You have an inverter fan and the fan that cools the motor...........perhaps you should send this to Grizzly tech support and let them verify the issues for you, but I would check the things I mentioned. Mine does not have that rubbing sound at all, but I do have the inverter sound and the fan on the motor.

We had our monthly meeting this morning at one of my clubs and the demo was done on a 3520b......my lathe is as quiet as that 3520b this morning. To me it sounds like perhaps the pulleys are a bit lose on the shaft of the spindle or motor, but I cannot say that for sure from listening to your video.

Brian Kent
06-06-2015, 6:19 PM
I would call that an unacceptably loud whisper.

carl mesaros
06-06-2015, 6:27 PM
I don't have the new 766 but recently purchased a new Laguna 2436. It appears to have the same 3 hp motor and vfd drive as the 766. Other than the vfd fan, my motor is whisper quiet with none of the grinding noise I heard in your video. Something is not right.

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 6:27 PM
Did you use your cell phone to make that video, James? From your position to the left of the head stock, that microphone is picking up every bit of decibles that lathe is putting out........from the video, it looks like you were holding the camera directly over top of the motor........and next to the handwheel.......with all that is going on, for me at least it is hard to distinquish the actual source of the noise, but the clicking and some rubbing sounds make me suspect the pulleys are not locked down tight or the pulleys are rubbing on the casting or perhaps the rpm sensor/bracket.

IMO, not likely a bearing, but it might be possible that a new bearing is bad from the factory......it would be unusual, however. The original bearings that were in my G0698 were still there after 5 years of pretty heavy usage, and were still running like new when I sold the lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2015, 6:35 PM
James - I have not been following the G0766 adventure threads - so this is the first time I have heard the new lathe. My first thought is to take the belt off the motor and run everything through the same paces to see if you are getting the same sounds/noises. Personally, this sounds pretty loud to me and I have a Jet 1642 EVS2 and a Robust AB which both use a vfd drive.

Doug Herzberg
06-06-2015, 6:44 PM
My GO 698 is MUCH quieter than that. Different motor, different VFD. I do hear a noise like one of yours when the drive belt tension is to high or low. Like Roger, I think I also hear a metal on metal scraping, like a casting rubbing. I like Steve's idea of doing it again without the drive belt. You have a year, but I'd report it to Grizzly now and see what they say.

James Conrad
06-06-2015, 6:47 PM
Pullies are tight, the audio noise level in the video is accurate to what you hear standing in front of the lathe. Same noises without the belt attached, the rattle noises are coming from the fan end of the motor. The whine is quite loud and the noise steps up at about 200 rpm.

Dok Yager
06-06-2015, 7:57 PM
James: I don`t have mine yet but years of automotive and motorcycle building tells me that sounds like a bearing or perhaps a pulley rubbing to me. I would Definitely call Grizzly.

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 8:32 PM
Steve's idea to check it without the belt is a good one, glad you did that..........that noise or rattling at the fan end of the motor might mean you need to take the fan cover off and see if that screw holding the fan in place is tight.....it could account for some of that noise if it is loose and allowing the fan to rattle on the screw and rubbing on the shaft at the same time.......try that James.

Still contact Grizzly and let them know things were not buttoned up like they should have been.......if you find the bearing is bad, then have them send replacements, or better yet have them send a service guy if they will and fix this thing!

I believe once you get the little quirks out, you will have a great unit.........at least from what I see with mine, I believe it to be a good machine..........just some loose screws and such. Too bad one cannot tell if a bearing is bad by looking at it, but must hear it run to make sure it is good........could happen to anyone, unfortunately you on this occasion, if it is the bearing...:(

Brian Myers
06-06-2015, 8:39 PM
That high pitch whine sounds as bad as some non inverter duty 3 phase motors when hooked up to a VFD .

Bob Bergstrom
06-06-2015, 8:43 PM
James - I have not been following the G0766 adventure threads - so this is the first time I have heard the new lathe. My first thought is to take the belt off the motor and run everything through the same paces to see if you are getting the same sounds/noises. Personally, this sounds pretty loud to me and I have a Jet 1642 EVS2 and a Robust AB which both use a vfd drive.
Agree with Steve. I would suggest putting the end of a scrap piece of wood about 18" long against the motor in the area that seats the bearing. Place the other end against your ear canal. Many old car mechanics could tell a lot about the problems in an engine this way. Sounds like something is amiss in there?:(

Brian Myers
06-06-2015, 8:47 PM
Agree with Steve. I would suggest putting the end of a scrap piece of wood about 18" long against the motor in the area that seats the bearing. Place the other end against your ear canal. Many old car mechanics could tell a lot about the problems in an engine this way. Sounds like something is amiss in there?:(

Isn't that usually a long screw driver against what is suspected of making the noise and the end of the handle against your ear?

Bob Bergstrom
06-06-2015, 8:51 PM
Isn't that usually a long screw driver against what is suspected of making the noise and the end of the handle against your ear?
I stated they were "old mechanics" so the screwdriver got too short , nice long stick with good resonance??

James Conrad
06-06-2015, 9:13 PM
Thanks guys. I've put my list of issues together with documentation and sent it off to Grizzly tonight. These include the shipping paint scratches, tool rest height, the first thread of the inboard side of the spindle was damaged and needs a die to be run down it, and of course the motor issues. I'm hoping for a speedy resolution.

The bearing noise is coming from just inside the end of the housing, not the fan, checked that. As much as I don't want it to be true I think its a bad motor, but I'll wait to discuss with tech support. Definitely find the whine unacceptable.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2015, 7:35 AM
So far James, you are the only one in the entire shipment that went out from the Distribution center to report this noise. I sure would like to hear from all the rest of the guys who got this unit........so far only about 4 of us out of the nearly 30 units have posted anything........you know the old saying....."no news is good news"

Most do not post for some reason unless there is something negative. I will be glad to hear what Grizzly customer support says for you.......they will work hard to get this right, I believe.

The earlier Grizzly has your info on the motor noise, the earlier the can get a motor on the next shipment coming in, if that is what it needs..........tech should be able to determine what is needed!

hu lowery
06-07-2015, 10:45 AM
So far James, you are the only one in the entire shipment that went out from the Distribution center to report this noise. I sure would like to hear from all the rest of the guys who got this unit........so far only about 4 of us out of the nearly 30 units have posted anything........you know the old saying....."no news is good news"

Most do not post for some reason unless there is something negative. I will be glad to hear what Grizzly customer support says for you.......they will work hard to get this right, I believe.

The earlier Grizzly has your info on the motor noise, the earlier the can get a motor on the next shipment coming in, if that is what it needs..........tech should be able to determine what is needed!

Roger,

I doubt seriously that more than half of the thirty recipients are on the internet as regular members of a forum. Maybe half of those on the forums you frequent. For no more units than are out there already getting four people in a thread is a very high number I would think. Some unhappy people, not without reason, prefer to handle their issues privately. Always best to first try the private route with real issues anyway. Here we are sharing information and such and John wanted to know if his noise was common, a bit different.

I don't think we can judge the owners we haven't heard from as happy or unhappy. Doesn't really matter, we are starting to get information. A hundred and fifty pounds of packing and packing still leaves something to be desired. I expect machined metal to look virgin when I get it! The loose nuts and bolts are typical of the quality of equipment from china, doesn't matter whose nameplate is on it. Not thrilling to find, not surprising either. The chinese export mentality is to get the unit out as cheaply as possible that the customer will accept. The customer being Grizzly in this case.

Sounds like except for John we are getting about what I expected. The minor problems might be remedied in a few months. The second and even third shipments are probably already in the pipeline and we are unlikely to see any changes in those shipments other than possibly a piece of pasteboard thrown in to protect the lathe ways by the third shipment. Too late for production line changes I believe. The danger of getting early units but I'm tired enough of the lathe I am using to take my chances plus I believe Grizzly will act responsibly if need be.

Hu

Dale Miner
06-07-2015, 11:00 AM
I heard two different sounds.

A crick crick at the slowere speeds that is likely belt noise and not really a majoe concer other than checking for pulley alignment and belt tension.

The howl at higher speeds is a bearing noise, probably from a misaligned outer race or installation damage.

daryl moses
06-07-2015, 1:16 PM
I heard two different sounds.

A crick crick at the slowere speeds that is likely belt noise and not really a majoe concer other than checking for pulley alignment and belt tension.
I agree, my G0733 had the same "crick crick" noise when I first got it. The pulleys weren't co-planer and it takes just a little more tension on the belt than just the weight of the motor to properly tension the belt.
That loud whine on the OP's lathe is reason for concern though.

James Conrad
06-07-2015, 8:16 PM
As much as I'd like you guys to be right on the noise being belt related, it is not. Makes the same noise metal/bearing rattle, as I noted previously, without the belt attached and is clearly coming from inside the motor at the fan end. I'll report back after my discussion with tech support tomorrow.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2015, 8:31 PM
As much as I'd like you guys to be right on the noise being belt related, it is not. Makes the same noise metal/bearing rattle, as I noted previously, without the belt attached and is clearly coming from inside the motor at the fan end. I'll report back after my discussion with tech support tomorrow.

There are two bearings in the motor, James. If you look at the parts diagram breakdown you will see them and they are listed in the parts list as well. It is possible as you mention that the motor has a bad bearing in it........things do happen once in a while, so Grizzly might just issue you a new motor.

Make sure tech support will walk you through the installation or send you some help to fix it! It will be interesting to see how they deal with this ........I wonder if it will be a send it back and we will send a new one type of deal?

Dennis Collier
06-07-2015, 9:07 PM
When I had a problem with my table saw, it was just that. Send it back to us and we will look at it. It was a nightmare getting it back out of my basement shop and crated up especially when I had already gotten rid of the original crate. They made it right though so I cant complain. I do believe they should have an authorized service man, at least in each state.

FWIW, my lathe dosnt sound anything like the video.

Bob Bergstrom
06-07-2015, 9:08 PM
Just had a terrible thought. Seeing that this is a new model and is unique with a 3 hp motor, will there be parts available at this early date. I hope they are ready to resolve any problems.

Mike Goetzke
06-07-2015, 9:16 PM
James - I'm just a serious woodworking hobbyist but I too hear two different noises. The one you note around 200RPM sounds like an electrical noise to me - VFD? The other does sound like a bearing. I had a lathe that was about a year old that experienced a bearing issue. I bought a cheap $4 mechanics stethoscope and could hear an almost crunching noise. But your lathe is brand new and shouldn't make either noise (nor suffered all that scuffing damage).

Mike

James Conrad
06-07-2015, 9:38 PM
Hi Mike, Yes there are 2 noises of concern: the whine which gets excessive at the 200rpm mark and the bearing rattle/clacking which you can hear each time the lathe is at a steady speed. The whine is coming from the motor not the VFD.

John Keeton
06-08-2015, 7:42 AM
It is yet too early to tell whether the 0766 lathe will deliver as hoped. Four of my stationary tools are Grizzly - bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, and planer. I bought those tools after the particular models had been on the market for a while and reviews showed them to be acceptable for my level of use. I knew they were essentially "composite copies" of other machines, that the mass of the machines was sufficient for my hobby use, but that they lacked the refinement and purpose oriented engineering one might want for a professional level machine. However, the price vs. benefit was attractive and I have not regretted those purchases.

When I built furniture, I performed rather quick and basic functions on the bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer and planer, and of those, the tablesaw required the greater precision. But, none of those tasks required machines with a significant amount of purpose oriented engineering. That said, a woodturner seems to form an intimate bond with a lathe, and with the initial comments on this lathe, it seems that in this new model, Grizzly has not "corrected" simple engineering issues that occurred in prior models. Contrast that with the PM 3520, originally designed with extensive input from Osolnik on the 3520A, and Ernie Conover on the 3520B. Even the Jet 1642, my current lathe, seems to include design elements that were well "thought out." The Oneway lathes and the Robust lathes certainly include extensive purpose oriented engineering, with the Robust being the pinnacle IMO.

In the end, I suspect this lathe will be widely accepted. It provides a large swing - attractive to some folks, and sufficient power, all at a very attractive price. The mass distribution, the quality of castings, the basic design engineering all reflect a machine intended for a market niche. I don't expect this lathe to offer serious competition for any of the top end lathes for those reasons. So long as folks understand what they are getting, it should perform acceptably for most.

I am happy with my Jet 1642, and do not have a need to exceed the 16" swing capacity of the Jet. If, at some point, I want/need a larger lathe, it will not be the Grizzly 0766. I would spend the money and buy a machine designed on which I would expect to spend hours on end forming a close, intimate relationship.

Roger Chandler
06-08-2015, 8:33 AM
Go back and search the forums........one will see a number of issues that have been reported with the 3520b, and the Jet 1642 evs................everything from switches needing repacement, to bearings gone bad, and not too many weeks ago an inverter gone bad.....[it has happened to several of them]..I have a friend who just had to replace the switch on his 3520b. it happens to all makes (at least the ones from overseas!) I read where some General lathes have had issues, and Oneways as well........

While my particular G0766 has the toolrest that is too high, that will be remedied shortly by an adjustment.......I have already placed an order for two Robust rests, and will see what Grizzly says about this one being too high, but I may just take it to a local machine shop and have an additional 5/8" to 3/4" taken down to the post diameter.

Everything else at this early point is super good........the lathe is performing very well, the VERY minor mods I did to enlarge the hole in the banjo and take down the boss behind the threads on the spndle only took a few minutes. It is an impressive machine!

This lathe is also sold to European markets where metric is standard, and likely, having to change tooling and such to meet American specs would up the price considerably. Now, while there has been one motor issue reported with a new machine, it sounds like it is probably a bearing that was not right. One member here recently got a new 3520b, and they had to replace a brand new switch before he could use the lathe........I recently read about a 3520b owner whose motor had to be replaced twice, and Jim Underwood just had a thread where his Jet motor went bad.......folks, it happens!

For the additional swing, and distance between centers, not to mention the $2500 I saved by getting this G0766 instead of the 3520b I was also considering...........I will gladly do those minor modifications!

The same kind of comments that Mike made above were said about my former G0698 lathe, and some much worse. That lathe performed superbly in my possession for over 5 years with fairly heavy use, and is still going strong at our club. All I am saying is there has been a long history of some people in the turning world that have poo-poohed Grizzly lathes, but they have gotten better, and yes, there are some very minor things to get sorted out with this new model, but most of the other makes have theirs as well!

I think you will see this 0766 do very well over all as time progresses. Not saying that the occassioal unit might not arrive with an issue but so do the Jets and Powermatics, and I would not hesitate to recommend either of those makes! I would also not hesitate to recommend the 18/47 G0733, and give me some time with this 0766 22/42 (tel:0766 22/42), and it will likely be that I can from a position of experience, recommend it! For those who say it is unproven........it is a new model, and its closest relative the 0733 is a proven performer! At one time the 3520b was unproven, but time and use solved that.....it will be the same for the G0766.

hu lowery
06-08-2015, 8:46 AM
First and foremost, we are working with a sample size of less than a half-dozen machines. One has a factory defect. That might mean that one in four does, or one in four thousand or less. We don't have statistics to judge that.

The tool rest height issue is exactly the same as with my present lathe with a cast iron rest. I suspect that Grizzly considered that they had issues with earlier rests snapping and tried to engineer that problem out. They may have engineered that problem out and a new one in.

I will probably never turn a bowl or vessel over 20" on the lathe, maybe a wall hanging bigger. I figure 22" of swing means that I can rough shape my blanks, balance them, and knock the rough spots off. I find it easy to have a bit of wood sticking out well past the biggest bowl or vessel I can make when I work with blanks straight from the log which is over 99% of the time.

Another issue with my lathe and rest I currently have is tool angle even though it is a 15" swing. The 22" swing gets the bed out of the way a little better when I want to drop the handle way down.

I don't know what this lathe is. On the other hand I know Grizzly is mostly offering good customer support these days and their current machines are good enough they can stand behind them.

I strongly suspect all of the castings from the same foundry are using the same alloy and process so it comes down to mass. I would like more, but I come from a metal turning world. I always want more mass. Some of the machines I turned on weighed many tons. Some that weighed tons I thought were light for the job.

Buying Griz I'll lose a little on name and snob appeal, neither one cuts wood. No distributer network, my local PM dealer charges a ton on his floor so I wouldn't buy from him anyway. I might lose a little on outside finish but having been inside a Jet I know that the surface flash is just that and I'd bet not a one of the machines manufactured in the same place is anything to brag about on the inside. They work, so in the end who cares? I would like to see top quality in the working parts of the machinery but I don't know if anyone offers the quality internals I would prefer. Maybe Vickmark or the American machines but my budget doesn't reach there yet. The Griz might help with that problem.

I suspect a lot of people are turning out nice work on a lot less machine than the 766. Always a learning curve before a user meshes with a new machine and I suspect there will be a bit of one with the 766. Pretty sure it will be a fine machine when things settle down. There were a handful of good reasons to make an early move and I took a chance. I'll count on Grizzly to make things right if a real clunker shows up on my doorstep.

Hu

James Conrad
06-08-2015, 8:54 AM
Just off the phone with tech support...

So, they have no motors to replace mine with, no surprise there. They will be sending me a return label to ship the motor to them in PA for evaluation. No ideal, but other than sending the whole unit back, my options are zip.

On my other issues, they are sending me paint, and a die for the spindle threads and apparently I'm the first to report the tool rest height issue so he needed to kick that up the chain. If you haven't contacted Grizzly about that issue yet please do so, we'll need numbers to get that addresses I'm guessing.

My post wasn't intended to start a dog pile, but to get some input on this issue in resolving it. When all my issues are resolved and I get some time turning on the lathe I'll provide a fair assessment of the all inclusive experience. I can say I have some initial regrets for not bailing out, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt again in a speedy resolution.

Roger Chandler
06-08-2015, 9:15 AM
Just off the phone with tech support...

So, they have no motors to replace mine with, no surprise there. They will be sending me a return label to ship the motor to them in PA for evaluation. No ideal, but other than sending the whole unit back, my options are zip.

On my other issues, they are sending me paint, and a die for the spindle threads and apparently I'm the first to report the tool rest height issue so he needed to kick that up the chain. If you haven't contacted Grizzly about that issue yet please do so, we'll need numbers to get that addresses I'm guessing.

My post wasn't intended to start a dog pile, but to get some input on this issue in resolving it. When all my issues are resolved and I get some time turning on the lathe I'll provide a fair assessment of the all inclusive experience. I can say I have some initial regrets for not bailing out, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt again in a speedy resolution.

I suspect they will take your motor apart in house and replace bearings and check it out well, as they have an extensive shop to do just that ........

Dennis Collier
06-08-2015, 9:59 AM
Wow, the tool snobs have been dying to see a Grizzly lathe have a problem so they can jump on here and start bashing. Ive come to the conclusion, this lathe could be perfect in every way and you still couldn't convince some of these people because they just have the mentality that since they spent more money, theirs has to be better. Its actually quite comical.

hu lowery
06-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Wow, the tool snobs have been dying to see a Grizzly lathe have a problem so they can jump on here and start bashing. Ive come to the conclusion, this lathe could be perfect in every way and you still couldn't convince some of these people because they just have the mentality that since they spent more money, theirs has to be better. Its actually quite comical.

This seems to be solidly a motor issue with the added possibility of a noisy VFD not being entirely eliminated in my mind. Both third party assemblies used by Jet and PM amongst others. Unless somebody can come up with some proof otherwise I strongly suspect shipments of these third party components come in bulk and then are all grabbed off the same shelf to put in at least a half dozen brands of machinery. Luck of the draw if a bad unit ends up in a high end or midrange unit.

The only real issue that is Grizzly related is tool rest height. Could be a few reasons for that. I have the same issue with my tool rest on another brand of lathe. Have to reconsider the angles you are cutting at but the tool rest could be well above or below centerline and you could turn just fine, you would just have to get used to the different reference to centerline. I prefer the lower tool rest so I will make it happen. I prefer the one inch banjo, I will make it happen. Talking maybe an hour's work being generous. I have owned a lot of equipment over the years, I can't think of a single piece that didn't need a little tuning or tweaking to suit me best.

Hu

Ralph Lindberg
06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I suspect they will take your motor apart in house and replace bearings and check it out well, as they have an extensive shop to do just that ........

Grizzly has shown their motor-repair shop in the ads for some years now. The ability to do "inhouse" items like that is part of why Grizzly has a reasonable rep.

Tony Cognato
06-08-2015, 1:39 PM

I've heard stuff like this my whole life. Chevy vs Ford, Camaro or Mustang, yada yada yada, it will always be there. Thank God we live in a place where we can have and express our own opinions without fear. I would've loved a Mercedes back in the day, but learned to love the Chevy Nova that I could afford.

Michael Stafford
06-08-2015, 1:40 PM
As I said before I hope everyone gets what they wanted and ends up with a satisfactory product. Congratulations to everyone who bought a new lathe.

hu lowery
06-08-2015, 2:41 PM
As I said before I hope everyone gets what they wanted and ends up with a satisfactory product. Congratulations to everyone who bought a new lathe.

Ummmm,

I Guess this means the fish aren't biting down at the lake?

Hu

James Conrad
06-10-2015, 1:35 PM
Well the motor went out today, took over 48hrs and 2 additional phone calls to get a shipping label issued. They should have it Friday, probably another 2 weeks until I get it back.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2015, 2:09 PM
Well the motor went out today, took over 48hrs and 2 additional phone calls to get a shipping label issued. They should have it Friday, probably another 2 weeks until I get it back.

James, did they ask for the entire headstock or just the motor? I ask because I wondered about how confident you are that you narrowed it down to the motor...........in your post, it sounded like you had a pretty good handle on it, as you stated the noise was coming from the fan end of the motor.

I know the Grizzly technical folks have extensive knowledge on motor rebuilds and such........they will give that motor a complete going through!

James Conrad
06-10-2015, 2:40 PM
I'm confident it is unrelated to the headstock, same noises without the belt attached. I just hope they have ability to fix the electrical whine.

Randy Red Bemont
06-10-2015, 3:11 PM
I'm looking forward to hear what's going on with it.

What serial number is your lathe? I'm wondering if your lathe was built as one of the first or later in the run. Mine is 10007 so it is early in the run. Just wondering if this has anything to do with anything.

Red

daryl moses
06-10-2015, 3:13 PM
I certainly hope your right.
I can't help but think that loud whine is coming from the VFD or one of it's components. To me it sounds like an electrical "whine."
I wish that Grizzly had asked for the entire headstock so they could check all possibilities.
I do think the motor is making a noise though.
One way or another I hope you and Grizzly get it worked out and soon.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2015, 3:24 PM
Mine is 10041 in the manufacuring chain..........everthing with mine is good, once I got the rpm sensor remounted from where vibration caused it to come loose.

James Conrad
06-10-2015, 3:25 PM
Red, mine is number 5.

I suppose it could be the VFD causing the electrical whine, but all the noise was coming from the motor. Trust me, I checked where it was coming from several times in hopes it was an easy fix.

Dennis Collier
06-10-2015, 4:42 PM
Mine was number 33. Interesting that the first shipment that only contained 20sum lathes has serial numbers 5-41 in it. Seems like there must have been a nice pile of lathes already built and they just didn't ship them all at once.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2015, 5:27 PM
I think it is the way they got loaded into the containers for shipment......first out of container first shipped to customer. At the factory, they were just probably lining them up, and not in sequence, and forklifts just grabbed what was next on the floor in shipping area.

Dennis Collier
06-10-2015, 6:06 PM
Yeah I get that. I just meant that Grizzly made it seem as if these machines were gonna ship as fast as the factory could get them here and that didn't happen. I suppose I don't have a lot of knowledge about how things ship from overseas but Ive seen the container ships. They are huge. Obviously, at least 41 lathes were built and ready to ship when the first shipment left but only 20 could fit? m not buying it. None of it matters at this point, just an observation. I just didn't expect to see lathe number 33 and 41 off the line in the first shipment of 20 if they were gonna ship them as fast as they could make them.

Larry Kunkler
06-10-2015, 6:59 PM
Sounds like a VFD/motor match problem. Might be solved with a simple setting adjustment. Call Griz.

James Conrad
06-16-2015, 5:25 PM
Grizzly called today with an update: internals are junk on the motor and they can't fix it.

So, they want the whole lathe back since I have the issue with the spindle threads as well. They didn't want to buy and send me a die.

They also wanted to wait to send me a new machine until they got this one back, which I thought was unreasonable considering the whole experience to date. It was going to take 48+ hours for management to make a decision about sending the new one out before getting the old one back, so I just ordered another one which is suppose to ship out next week. Another batch is suppose to arrive Monday.

They are are suppose to go through this one prior to shipping too ensure all is good. Also logged the tool rest issue with this new order and they should have a solution, apparently they had a replacement rest they were going to send me for the old lathe.

So, that's that. Tomorrow I will crate it back up, almost took the stuff to the dump over the weekend.

Randy Red Bemont
06-16-2015, 6:19 PM
Wow!! I guess the good news is they have more coming in next week. Just a great big hassle. I hope your new one comes with no issues and you can get some turning going. Good luck with it all.

Red

James Conrad
06-16-2015, 6:59 PM
Thanks Red, fingers crossed on this one.

Dok Yager
06-16-2015, 7:50 PM
Wow James I certainly hope they get this issue resolved for you! Glad they have more shipping next week. I certainly hope you will get a good one after all of this.

Doug Ladendorf
06-16-2015, 7:58 PM
I hope they can quickly resolve it to your satisfaction James. Once you can get back to turning the frustration will pass.