PDA

View Full Version : Pink Myrtle Day

John Hart
08-13-2005, 9:38 PM
I came across a large Pink Myrtle Burl and couldn't pass it up. I've cut 15 pen blanks out of it and still have enough for a bowl or maybe 30 more pens. Anyway, I turned this pen, key fob, and perfume atomizer today. Great wood to work with. They're sittin' on top of the burl and I'm still battling with my lighting.

Jerry Clark
08-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks great John, You do keep busy!:cool:

Ernie Nyvall
08-14-2005, 8:25 AM
Great looking stuff John. Your pictures and work certainly surpass mine. I see why you liked the wood.
How do you write with that spray thingy though. :rolleyes:

Ernie

Chris Barton
08-14-2005, 8:51 AM
Great work John! My experience has been that digital photography, as great as it is, never seems to capture the "life" expressed in the grain and coloring of wood. I have recently purchased some of the wine topper kits and cigar punch kits and whish I had a big collection of wood like your burl to start those projects. Keep turning out great pieces!

John Hart
08-14-2005, 8:52 AM
How do you write with that spray thingy though. :rolleyes:

Ernie

It's a poor-man's portable air brush. When your index finger gets tired, you just use your thumb for a while. You can find my artwork on many buildings and interstate underpasses throughout the country. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
08-14-2005, 9:37 PM
John, that is some great looking work! Keep it up, I love the burl!

John Hart
08-14-2005, 9:41 PM
Thanks Jeff. Yeah...I really love that wood. It's called Pink Myrtle but it has at least 4 different colors in it. It's fun to turn too.:)

Bill Stevener
08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi John,

Just popped in, busy day around the house. Great looking work, sure looks like you have the hang of it now. Just love that burl, sure would make a nice bowl.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
John those are some really nice looking turnings you have there. :)

Great job.

John M. Cioffi
08-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Great work, again John!
How is it drilling for the atomizer,for you? I had a bit of a time with the last one.
You sure do get the best burls around. Keep 'em pumping.
John

John Hart
08-16-2005, 8:10 PM
...How is it drilling for the atomizer,for you? I had a bit of a time with the last one....

Well...I ruined a couple before I figured it out. The bit is about 6 inches long so I decided not to cut the blank first. I used a 5 inch blank and drilled all the way through and clamped it really tight....Then, because my drillpress doesn't have a long enough stroke, I grab the blank with a pair of channel locks and lift it up into the bit very slowly...controlled force. I could probably lift the table into the bit but I was afraid that I might be off a bit and bore off-center. Anyway...it seems to work. After boring...I cut the blank.