PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Reciprocating Saw Question

Scott Hearn
06-06-2015, 2:35 AM
So I have some tree trimming to do and what better excuse to buy a new tool? I picked up a Bosch RS7 (11 amp) reciprocating saw at Lowes for $69.99 on sale.
I’m pretty impressed with it. I cut off a pretty large branch off of a 30year old cottonwood tree and am in the process of chopping it up. All of the small’ish parts are done. To illustrate the size that I have left I got 9” pruning blades and I’m going after some 12” in the morning because they won’t go through to the other side, though you can “roll” around the outside circumference and get through. It is probably around 10-11” at it’s biggest point. I really need a chain saw but one project just doesn’t justify one and for the rental cost I get a new tool. I literally only have like 10 cuts this big to do, all others are on smaller parts and no problem at all.
Does anyone know what the duty cycle is or where to look it up? The saw is handling these cuts fine except for one thing. The gear drive is getting quite hot if I don’t stop and let it cool down. Almost too hot to hold with mechanics wear leather gloves. The motor is not balking one bit though, 11 amps is having no issue with the cuts and it has a good fan and is staying cool, I can’t imagine why one would need 13-15amps with this 11amp saw running like it does. I think the heat is transferring up the blade into the housing since it is essentially buried in the log and unable to dissipate much heat. Each cut is taking about 3 to 4 minutes going easy on the pressure. I apply a little pressure and rock the saw to keep the dust rolling out of the cut and not clogging up things. I’m doing a couple of cuts and giving it time to cool down. I guess my question is what is the duty cycle of these things and just how tough are they? They appear to be pretty dang good but I don’t want to push it too much.
Here is the saw:
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=RS7

Kent Adams
06-06-2015, 6:36 AM
I don't know about the Bosch, but I've owned several Dewalts and now a Milwaukee. All of mine get hot under a heavy prolonged load so its probably normal.

Rich Engelhardt
06-06-2015, 7:00 AM
The RS7 is a light duty saw.
I wouldn't push it past 25% duty cycle - - if that.

It's in the same class as the DeWalt 10 amp on the higher end & the Ryobi and Harbor Freight 9 amp on the lower end.

It's a good saw for a DIY'er and/or homeowner that has the luxury of being able to take a break and allow the saw to cool down.

FWIW - I have it's "Bigger brother", and older 14 amp Bosch & a DeWalt 10 amp. I only drag the 14 amp out once in a while & far prefer to use the lighter 10 amp saw.

Why/where is more power needed?
Last time the 14 amp came out to play was a couple of weeks ago. I had a 30 foot long telephone pole that had been used as a tire stop at the end of a driveway that needed cut up into smaller pieces. I just put the blade on the pole and leaned down hard on the tool (all 300 plus pounds plus of me) & it tore right through w/very little hesitation and stayed cool as a cucumber.

A coarser and more aggressive wood blade would have worked better, but, all I stock are demolition blades.

I noticed also that most of the trades-people I encounter favor the small and lighter 10 amp DeWalt. I very seldom see anyone use a Super Sawzall (15 amp).

Forget the pruning blades. They aren't thick enough and will snap if you put too much pressure on them. Pick up a good heavy wood blade.
I had to clear out roughly 300 feet of old hedges (some about 10 inches in diameter at the truck base) 2 years ago. I tried using my electric chain saw and quickly switched over to the recip saw. I busted a half dozen of those pruning blades in the first 25 feet before I switched over to a 12" wood blade. That blade lasted the whole rest of the hedge row. You can really drag the heavier blade sideways in the cut if you need to w/out it snapping or bending.
(LOL! I was really wishing I had that blade & it's all I could think about while cutting the telephone pole! Too bad the blade was sitting in my garage at home!)

BTW - - don't worry so much about the "power" of the 11 amp. You'll get a full 11 amps at the end of a 100 foot extension cord. That's one other reason I favor my DeWalt over the larger, heavier and more powerful Bosch. My only 12 ga. extension cords are only 10 feet long. I can tell a drop in power if I have to use a 14 ga. 25 foot extension w/my Bosch.

David C. Roseman
06-06-2015, 4:11 PM
[snip]I really need a chain saw but one project just doesn’t justify one and for the rental cost I get a new tool. I literally only have like 10 cuts this big to do, all others are on smaller parts and no problem at all.[snip]

Scott, I agree with Rich on duty cycle, but you're looking at this the wrong way. The reciprocating saw has already paid for itself on this job. Go ahead and get that chain saw. You'll recover the cost on the next 10 cuts, and the next project after that will be free. :) You know you're going to get one eventually, anyway!