PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 0766 - Is this a problem ?

John Cargill
06-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Picked up my new Grizzly 0766 late this afternoon. Woot Woot !! It's been a long wait.

Just as a couple of others have posted, the legs were not secured when I opened the crate, and had moved around quite a bit. I have cosmetic damage to one leg (the one against the bed), the faceplate, tailstock and ways. As far as I can see, those are very minor issues that can be resolved with some touch up paint or sandpaper. Not a major concern.

My potential problem is that the motor is hanging onto the headstock by a thread . . . almost literally. See the angle it's sitting at in the pics, and the space between the motor and headstock housing. One of the screws is completely detached from the motor ! I'm not a very mechanical guy, unfortunately, so I dont really know if this is a probem or not. It appears I will have to do some disassembly just to get to the screwheads of those holding the motor in place. That's assuming that they aren't stripped out. I still cant figure out how the screws could back out like that. I'm most concerned that the shaft from the motor could be bent. Is that a valid concern ? Is there anything internal that I should be concerned about ? As of yet, its sitting in the crate just as I found it.

I haven't gotten the shop wired for this monster yet, so I'm not going to uncrate anything more quite yet (although I'm dying to start turning on the thing). At least not until I get some advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance for your input. And hopeful this really isn't a big issue.

John

Jon Shank
06-05-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm not in the market for a new lathe at the moment, or anytime soon unfortunately, so I haven't really looked at it much. But it certainly looks like it's belt driven, so the chance of the shaft being bent seems relatively slim. That said, I'd be good and ticked about it showing up like that. The cosmetic damage would annoy me plenty on it's own, it's a new machine it should look new, but a mechanical fault like that would make me argue for a new lathe. No excuse for receiving a brand new machine with the motor hanging off like that.

Jon

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Yes.......these are indeed a problem!!! Do not use the the lathe until that motor mount issue is fixed! If I were you, I would email Grizzly these pics with a request to have tech support call you! They should remedy this in a hurry, as it is not a safe condition to use the lathe.......actually dangerous! :eek:

My guess is that tech support will talk you through the tightening of the bolts over the phone, but may decide to just ask you to send it back.

This could not have been quality inspected and left like that.........I wonder if this particular unit was at the end of a shift, and the workers just ignored it? :mad:

John Cargill
06-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks Roger. I was afraid of that 😪. I guess my wait is gonna get even longer... <insert expletive here>

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Thanks Roger. I was afraid of that . I guess my wait is gonna get even longer... <insert expletive here>

John, I just went out to the shop and looked at mine........this is an easy fix. Take the two bolts holding the motor to the headstock casting......one is the handle that tightens the belt with the motor weight. When you take the motor off, you will see the mounting ring with the handle for motor lift.......tighten the screws on the mounting ring to the motor housing
and then put it back on the headstock.........of course take the belt off the pulleys first.

I would recommend tightening every screw and set screw on the entire lathe.......especially the pulley set screws and handwheels on both headstock and tailstock........looks like your unit did not get the once over in this regard.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2015, 11:55 PM
I doubt seriously if this is an major issue. According to the parts breakdown, the drive is pulley to belt to pulley and the mounting screws aren't completely out so it's doubtful it made any extreme angles, dangles or bends.

Why did it happen. It could well have been looked at before it left the factory BUT they don't check the torque on every screw. It came by ship. Do a Google search using the following "US Navy ship vibration control". Yes.....ships' drive lines, engines and the seas they encounter cause vibration. This vibration can cause bolts and screws to loosen. So, if the mounting screws weren't really tightened properly, but appeared to be screwed all the way in, they could very possibly passed a visual check and yet, vibrated enough to back out during transit. Vibration is one of the major topics in design by engineers working for the US Navy.

Folks......aren't you the same people touting being the first buyers to get this new model lathe? Well, guess what? As you discovered, Grizzly may have to reexamine their method for securing the legs assemblies during shipment. That's the breaks of being the first kid on the block with a new model toy. I am sure they will make it right.

Enjoy you new lathes gentlemen.

Tony Cognato
06-06-2015, 5:11 AM
I am new here and know nothing about Grizzly except what I've read on these forums. It seems highly possible to me that the order response to this new lathe greatly exceeded projections and I am guessing that in an effort to meet delivery estimates a number of small issues(like packaging) slipped through the cracks. Just my two cents. Thanks.

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 6:44 AM
I doubt seriously if this is an major issue. According to the parts breakdown, the drive is pulley to belt to pulley and the mounting screws aren't completely out so it's doubtful it made any extreme angles, dangles or bends.

Why did it happen. It could well have been looked at before it left the factory BUT they don't check the torque on every screw. It came by ship. Do a Google search using the following "US Navy ship vibration control". Yes.....ships' drive lines, engines and the seas they encounter cause vibration. This vibration can cause bolts and screws to loosen. So, if the mounting screws weren't really tightened properly, but appeared to be screwed all the way in, they could very possibly passed a visual check and yet, vibrated enough to back out during transit. Vibration is one of the major topics in design by engineers working for the US Navy.

Folks......aren't you the same people touting being the first buyers to get this new model lathe? Well, guess what? As you discovered, Grizzly may have to reexamine their method for securing the legs assemblies during shipment. That's the breaks of being the first kid on the block with a new model toy. I am sure they will make it right.

Enjoy you new lathes gentlemen.

Ken, now that I read your comments about vibration and ships..........your comment about it causing the bolts to back out may indeed be what happened........thanks for that info.

This is a simple matter of tightening those bolts down.........I could do it in 10 minutes, but John may not wish to tackle the task alone.........Grizzly tech support will walk him through it over the phone........they try hard to give good customer support.

James Conrad
06-06-2015, 6:57 AM
It appears on the surface as others described, "an easy fix." I would still document it, email and call Grizzly to have a record of it just in case there is a problem related to it in the future.

Yes Ken, we are the "first buyers" so things like the tool rest being too high perhaps are expected. However, this is not Grizzly's first rodeo here. They ship thousands of machines and it is a very similar lathe to others they offer with similar packing techniques, and highly unlikely these are the first complaints they've had concerning that. We also have a high volume of SMC members buying this lathe so we are going to get a pretty good sample of QC and sussing out new model problems. It's disappointing to wait 6 months for a new machine and have it arrived damaged when it could be easily avoided and the complaints are justified, and if it helps a future purchaser and Grizzly it's all for the better.

Randy Red Bemont
06-06-2015, 7:21 AM
I'm going to take a couple of minutes this morning and go through the entire lathe and check all nuts and bolts just in case they are loose at all. A little of preventative maintenance.

My legs were loose in the crate but they did not bounce around and damage anything. I guess I got lucky. Those two pieces of angle iron with the big bolts I guess are to hold the legs in place but I undid the nut and bolt by hand so someone over there is not doing their job!!

Red

Tony Cognato
06-06-2015, 7:22 AM
Have they ever heard of Loc-Tite?:)

Tony Cognato
06-06-2015, 7:26 AM
This may actually be good for me and others who have yet to order this awesome looking machine. Once all the complaints are registered and ( hopefully) resolved I'll put my order in and hope for the best!

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 7:36 AM
Some of the packing setup was loose in my crate as well........the headstock was not tightened down and the nut and clamp plate were actually underneath the ways on the bottom of the crate......that is why is got some vibration scaring on the ways, but is is so minor that a few passes by hand with 600 grit and I could not even tell it was there.

All in all, my unit is in good shape and performing very well at this point. The only thing is the tool rest being just a bit too high.......an aftermarket rest or taking a little metal off the rest where the stop is, and it will be fine.......however, Grizzly should absolutely be the one to correct all these problems!

They need to make a few calls over to the Shandong plant and raise some cane! Grizzly is a good company and will work on this...........

Mark Greenbaum
06-06-2015, 7:43 AM
Well, maybe holding off as long as I did will be beneficial. My unit was supposed to be delivered after July 10th, so maybe they'll do a better inspection at the distribution warehouse stateside so I have little or no issues. The tool rest hole on the banjo, the tool rest height issues do concern me, as there are very few options for aftermarket rests with 25.0 mm diameter shafts; and the top of the banjo where the tool rest bottoms out is definitely a concern. We'll see.

John Cargill
06-06-2015, 7:47 AM
I'm encouraged that there is at least a possibility of a relatively easy fix. I plan to call CS this morning, but tech support doesn't work on weekends. I must admit this is frustrating, but I also know it will be remedied one way or another. My wife is an interior designer, and receives shipments of furniture and other goods all the time. 75% of her shipments are damaged in some way. It seems to be a common problem., and I expected some cosmetic issues. That's no excuse, mind you, just seems to be the reality.

This lathe is quite amazing for the money, which was a critical factor in my new lathe purchase. I'm very very excited to have it, even if I have to deal with an unfortunate situation. Ive had a smaller Grizzly lathe for about 15 years, and it has served me well.

Once i I get a final resolution, I'll repost here to close the loop. I appreciate everyone's opinions and insights.

david privett
06-06-2015, 8:30 AM
I emailed grizzly about the 25 mm tool rests and they suggested I contact BestWoodTools at 1414 milo dr. Crossville,Tn. 38572 ph # 931-738-0429 and sales@bestwoodtools.com. I called them since I live a few hours away from them and they do not have a showroom to look at their stuff unfortunately . This might be people who we should get with if you do not want to alter the original tool rest size. I have not used any of their products so it would be a test.

david privett
06-06-2015, 8:38 AM
I have two Chinese tractors and loose bolts and paint under electrical ground connections are a given when new but the bugs get worked out with some time. There are parallels here the generic Chinese tractors are cheaper than new Holland case and deere and grizzly is cheaper than robust and oneway.

hu lowery
06-06-2015, 8:43 AM
Don't tighten the bolts down without first taking them all the way out, one at a time, and seeing what condition the threads are in. Bouncing around loose on a ship may have battered the threads, I don't know. If it did then tightening down those bolts with battered threads may well damage what they thread into, then you have a major problem.

If the bolts do have to be replaced, don't grab them from the local hardware. Buy grade eight or better bolts. Some of the stuff carried in hardware stores and places like tractor supply are junky beyond belief.

Hu

Bill Bulloch
06-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I have several of Best Wood Tools' products, they are well made. So, is Grizzly saying that they do not intend on doing anything about the problem?

James Conrad
06-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I emailed grizzly about the 25 mm tool rests and they suggested I contact BestWoodTools at 1414 milo dr. Crossville,Tn. 38572 ph # 931-738-0429 (tel:931-738-0429) and sales@bestwoodtools.com. I called them since I live a few hours away from them and they do not have a showroom to look at their stuff unfortunately . This might be people who we should get with if you do not want to alter the original tool rest size. I have not used any of their products so it would be a test.

For clarification, are you talking about the 25mm diameter of the tool rest and 1" tool rest compatibility or the fact the top of the factory tool rest can't be adjusted much below center?

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 11:57 AM
I am going to see what Grizzly says when I talk to them on Monday........the original rest was just not machined with a bowl gouge in mind.......1/2" off the stop cut down to the post diameter would make it work just fine. I was going to order a couple of Robust rests anyway, so this is not an issue for me, but depending on what Grizzly says about it, I may take it to a local machine shop and have them trim away that 1/2" or maybe 5/8"..........I will measure to see how much to take off when I get some time later this afternoon.

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Well, maybe holding off as long as I did will be beneficial. My unit was supposed to be delivered after July 10th, so maybe they'll do a better inspection at the distribution warehouse stateside so I have little or no issues. The tool rest hole on the banjo, the tool rest height issues do concern me, as there are very few options for aftermarket rests with 25.0 mm diameter shafts; and the top of the banjo where the tool rest bottoms out is definitely a concern. We'll see.

Mark.....enlarging the banjo hole for it to accept aftermarket rests could not be simpler! A 1" drill bit [twist bit, not spade] can be used in a hand held drill and with a squirt of oil the hole can be made to 1" diameter.......that is exactly what I did on my former G0698..........it should not be concerning at all! Make sure you hold that drill straight up and down .....and not off to one side, and you should be fine! I am going to use my drill press this time, just for the benefit of accuracy.

Now, the stop on the rest itself is a little problematic, but nothing that cannot be addressed with either an aftermarket rest or machining an extra 1/2" or so off that step area. Still, Grizzly should do something about this in my opinion, but we must realize that the machine is new, and it may take a while for them to get some rests remade, and they may want the old ones back???

Roger Chandler
06-06-2015, 1:44 PM
See my new thread on the toolrest dimensions.........this may be a solution!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231901-G0766-Actual-toolrest-stop-measurement

John Cargill
06-10-2015, 9:26 PM
Thought I would follow up on this thread with an update.

Last saturday I spoke to a rep and documented all of my issues in an email to Grizzly CS, tech support and freight. I had to wait until Monday to talk to tech support initially. I heard back from them yesterday afternoon. Since everything is now properly documented and I have an Activity Number for the motor issue, they told me to go ahead and see if I could take things apart and tighten up the screws between the motor and plate between it and the housing. I found two of the four screws totally backed out, and two others at least halfway out. Luckily, they went back in without issue, and things seem secure. The threads weren't stripped. Whew ! Almost every other screw I checked on the headstock assembly was loose to some degree, too. My crate must have been in just the right spot on the ship !

I will call Grizzly tomorrow with this news and some other pictures of how things looked when I took it apart, just in case I have more problems later. I was told a touch up kit would be sent for the cosmetic issues, so I should be back on track. The outlet will be wired Friday, and I'll be able to turn the lathe on to make sure things sound good. Fingers crossed.

To this point I have been very happy with Grizzly CS where this issue is concerned. They have been very responsive and extremely pleasant to deal with.

With thy any luck, I'll be turning on my new G0766 this weekend 😀

Roger Chandler
06-10-2015, 9:53 PM
Thought I would follow up on this thread with an update.

Last saturday I spoke to a rep and documented all of my issues in an email to Grizzly CS, tech support and freight. I had to wait until Monday to talk to tech support initially. I heard back from them yesterday afternoon. Since everything is now properly documented and I have an Activity Number for the motor issue, they told me to go ahead and see if I could take things apart and tighten up the screws between the motor and plate between it and the housing. I found two of the four screws totally backed out, and two others at least halfway out. Luckily, they went back in without issue, and things seem secure. The threads weren't stripped. Whew ! Almost every other screw I checked on the headstock assembly was loose to some degree, too. My crate must have been in just the right spot on the ship !

I will call Grizzly tomorrow with this news and some other pictures of how things looked when I took it apart, just in case I have more problems later. I was told a touch up kit would be sent for the cosmetic issues, so I should be back on track. The outlet will be wired Friday, and I'll be able to turn the lathe on to make sure things sound good. Fingers crossed.

To this point I have been very happy with Grizzly CS where this issue is concerned. They have been very responsive and extremely pleasant to deal with.

With thy any luck, I'll be turning on my new G0766 this weekend 

John, I had wondered about the resolution of your loose motor, and had wondered if you had tried to tighten it all back up. I think documenting for Grizzly first was a good thing, thereby guaranteeing your warranty. Grizzly tech support has been nice to deal with any time I have called them.

I did not know you were not wired for power yet........looking forward to hearing your report. When my unit was first turned on it was just a little bit louder than it is now after using it a couple of times..........I have noticed that there was what I call a "break in" period with my former G0698, and as I used it, it got smoother and quieter, and on that lathe the rpm's got lower without hunt on that unit.

This G0766 seems to be getting better as I go.....you know, the belt has to get broken in, and motor as well, and I think they settle into a specific wear pattern [probably the wrong term here, but like a car engine when new, there is a period when the running seems to smooth out after a few hundred miles........most mechanical things are that way. I was just in the shop this evening working on something and noticed how quiet the lathe was getting compared to when I first turned it on............I suppose it will be the same for all of us?