PDA

View Full Version : 766 Owners

Scott Brandstetter
06-05-2015, 8:58 PM
On my 766 it seems that the banjo sits a bit high. It is almost dead center when it is at it's lowest point. It seems to me that my jet would adjust down approx 1 inch below center. Playing with a blank last night and getting aquainted, going through a lot of different tools, my EWT's sitting on the banjo actually put them above center. It just seeded odd to me.

Any thoughts.

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 9:10 PM
On my 766 it seems that the banjo sits a bit high. It is almost dead center when it is at it's lowest point. It seems to me that my jet would adjust down approx 1 inch below center. Playing with a blank last night and getting aquainted, going through a lot of different tools, my EWT's sitting on the banjo actually put them above center. It just seeded odd to me.

Any thoughts.

I noticed that also........seems like they should have taken at least another 1/2" off the stop area of the post. Mine is below center a tad, but when I used a 5/8" gouge, it seemed to be a bit high........I switched to the 1/2" gouge and it was better.

I wonder if carbide tools will cut cast iron? I had pondered putting the post portion in a chuck and turning down another 5/8" on the tool rest.

I think I am going to call Grizzly on Monday, and tell them this is not properly machined, so perhaps they will make some adjustments and I will try to get them to issue a new tool rest with more distance on the post portion. I would suggest all owners do this.......this seems to be a great lathe, but this is an error in machining specs by someone there in Shandong if you ask me! Glad to know that I am not the only one, so perhaps with several of us complaining, we can get some action!

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 9:43 PM
I just sent Grizzly CS an email about this and told them we need a fix and for them to call me!

charlie knighton
06-05-2015, 9:50 PM
my first lathe, a d-)&% was like that, biggest problem was the tool rest with hollowing tool (elbo tool)

ended up having a new tool rest made that went farther down into banjo......it was one inch square steel rod attached to round stock (just had the machinest make the round stock shorter).....still use it with elbo tool with the jet since I have the square arm

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 9:58 PM
my first lathe, a d-)&% was like that, biggest problem was the tool rest with hollowing tool (elbo tool)

ended up having a new tool rest made that went farther down into banjo......it was one inch square steel rod attached to round stock (just had the machinest make the round stock shorter).....still use it with elbo tool with the jet since I have the square arm

This is the stop machined into the toolrest.......they needed to take off an additional 1/2" to 5/8" to give it more vertical travel......it just sits a smidgen high, Charlie.

Brian Myers
06-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Roger how does it look when you have an after market rest in it ( or next to it until you ream out the banjo) ? Will your aftermarket rests drop down far enough?

Roger Chandler
06-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Roger how does it look when you have an after market rest in it ( or next to it until you ream out the banjo) ? Will your aftermarket rests drop down far enough?

Have not tried that yet, but an aftermarket with a straight post should go down plenty well.........it is the step machined into the toolrest that came with the lathe that makes it stop a bit too high. I plan to use aftermarket rests until Grizzly makes some remedy for me.