PDA

View Full Version : DIY low fence for Incra TS LS

ian maybury
06-05-2015, 3:57 PM
The details of this DIY sub fence are fairly self evident, but it may perhaps be of interest to a few. It's not been used much yet, so there's no claims made regarding the safety or usefulness of the design. So far so good - but use your own discretion if heading down a similar road.

One downside of the stock Incra TS LS/rip fence is that it's quite high, and can't be flipped to a low setting like some. The height is essential in some situations, but less so when wanting to rip low and narrow pieces. The combination of the relatively wide connection to the modded dust hood on my Hammer K3 and the high Incra fence made access difficult - even with pushers. I also found myself thinking that there were times that a short/retractable fence that could safely be used as a cross cutting stop from behind the saw blade would be useful too - especially if it (as this does) read from the same datum/zero position every time on the Incra positioner.

The material is 3 x 3 x 1/4 in 6082 T6 square edged aluminium angle (a similar high strength grade to 6061 T6 in the US). The vertical flange was ripped down on the saw using a non ferrous blade, both edges were then smoothed using a car body file, engineering files and a progressively finer wet sanding block. The rounded corners prevent damage to work. There's a bit of filing technique in prepping the edges to avoid the various files scratching the surfaces - a few trial runs before touching the final item might be wise. The final polish used a steel wool pot scouring pad. Then natural anodised - essential as uncoated aluminium marks wood and wears quickly. There's a strip of UHMW/slick tape on the inboard (mounting side) full length along the bottom. The knobs are spare Incra 1/4-20 female with stainless socket head screws permanently fitted using high strength Loctite. T nuts in the slots in the Incra fence extrusion enable removal or re-positioning of the sub fence in a moment.

Check that the piece of aluminium angle is a good one before doing anything, they are often dinged, nicked, gouged and/or slightly bent. Straightness is dependent on not disturbing a fairly delicate balance of internal stresses in the metal. Anodising fortunately seems to present no problem, but heating is a no-no.

There are some important considerations. It's got to be accurately parallel within a thou or two viewed from above so that the toe out setting of the main fence is accurately replicated. The working edge must be dead smooth so that work slides easily along it. Think about how it will be used when retracted or pushed forward before deciding a length or drilling the holes for the mounting knobs. I set mine up so that it can be used as ether a Euro short fence terminating before the back edge of the blade, or pushed forward if needed - but bear in mind that my Incra fence is over length to the infeed end. (which gives great support on certain cuts, and allowed more freedom of layout) The extra hole at one end allows it to be hung up when not in use...

jack forsberg
06-06-2015, 11:07 PM
The high low sliding rip plate fence Is a well-known safety feature on EU saws any well triangulated European saw fence is far superior to any North American Long through Fence Because it contains all the features necessary for Safe work practice .I think that most people that regard the long through' NA fence as being superior believe it is so because it's easy to add attachments But my contention is if it's so great why does it need attachments .I think the only thing I Would add to your low fence is making it sliding so that you can position it for and after the gullett :As you pointed out the low fence is for narrow strip ripping that does not foul the guard But the plate should be in the pullback position Especially for beveled cuts

ian maybury
06-07-2015, 4:58 AM
Thanks Jack. Not sure i've got your meaning as you intend, but the sub fence is free to slide to whatever position is required once the knobs are loosened. Their studs screw into T nuts that slide in the slots in the Incra fence extrusion. Tightening the knobs locks it in whatever location is set.

As shown it's in more or less the Euro 'stops just before the upcoming teeth position', but it can be pulled back to completely be in front of the blade for use as a cross cut stop, or be pushed right forward so that it functions US style when required too. It's only newly made, and so hasn't had much use or testing yet/there's no guarantees it's an optimum or a safe design.

It's not typical to see an Incra fence fitted on a sliding table saw, but I put the pic up thinking that others running the Incra TS LS on more traditional US style cabinet saw set ups might be be interested - those running wide/high volume top guards and ripping narrow stock may experience the same access issues as above that inspired the sub fence.

The long infeed on the Incra fence is my personal choice (the section supplied was over length, and it seemed a pity to cut it), and may have downsides that haven't yet surfaced/for types of work not yet undertaken. There's times the extra support is useful for the sort of stuff i've been doing though….

jack forsberg
06-07-2015, 6:40 AM
Sorry I missed that it sliding that's very good just to clear things up I'm not saying that the long fence like the Bessie is not great for cutting stuff like sheet stock Just that it lacks all of the other positions and that attachments need to be made to overcome that so the long through fence is great for that support you suggest but it lacks a sliding rip plate and Hi low position so your improvement has returned it back to a European fence which in my mind is Very much like the riving knife that the North Americans are just discovering now. Perhaps they will catch on to the virtues of the fence as well Did your saw not come with that type fence?

ian maybury
06-07-2015, 8:09 AM
The stock Hammer K3 these days Jack has a well regarded and reportedly very solid traditional type rip fence - which includes a flip over for low ripping and adjustable position feature. This fence is an upgrade from an original less satisfactory item which hasn't been used for a long time now. (since back when the machines were turquoise blue)

When i bought mine i could have had it, but i wanted the positioning capability of the Incra system - which i had already bought as i had been thinking of upgrading my previous saw. So the Hammer saw was ordered without the stock fence. I've been very happy with the Incra (amazingly precise, like having a fancy fence with digital positioning and holds its settings very well), but it's not there as a result of any shortcoming in the original Hammer item.